APT SmartCarb

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Eaglefreek, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    So I just ran it on my 165 kitted bike. Quick run down of the machine, it is an 04 CR125 that was semi abused. I brought it back. It always ran good and I put my Doma 125 pipe on it that I have run on every 125 I have owned as I love the mid range power. So it went from a semi abused but good running 125 to a 135 FBF cylinder bored to 165, a HUGE KTM 200 Doma pipe (never ran this one before), new reeds with stop flipped to he "low" side, and APT carb. I thought this might be a handful of a rocket ship but it is not. What it is is a GREAT running super smooth most linear 2 stroke I have ever ridden. No hit anywhere just excellent pulling power and throttle response from any RPM. I did not touch the carb, and it was perfect. Throttle response is instant and there is power everywhere. My 09 WR125 with 165 kit and FMF pipe was amazing, I think this might be better. It is very smooth and powerful everywhere. I lucked out on all my parts and setup working out. This ride was just a quick half day ride / test, in the rain, on slick clay, covered in 2" of damp leaves and goo, on user trail that is not maintained well and lots of slick branches and trees to cross. About the slickest mess you could think off and all that with some sizable hill climbs and on a used and abuse bald rear tire. I felt like I have street tires on all day and it was an ice rink. Still had fun, motor really impressed me and the one real big climb was a blast and the motor dominated it. Hope to get a better feel for it tomorrow on more normal trails.
    boisedave and huskybear like this.
  2. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    this is all very good reading, how much mpg gain on average does this increase the range by?
    as i use my bike as commuter so i get 108 miles on 125 with 8L fuel what sorta gain would i see?
    in otherwords how many hours/miles will this unit pay itself back in?
  3. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Wonder if your pipe makes that much of a difference over the KTM 200 Fatty I have on my WB165. With the SC set up on my 165 at anywhere near 1/2 to full throttle it was a rocketship. No hit mind you just an urgent pull to the top! Mine is like two different bikes, under 1/2 throttle all smooth and easy to to control very precise and strong. Past that....roicket time. Now put on a new tire before you back into a tree and take another ride :D.
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    No idea as this motor is so different being an 04 cylinder, different pipe, reeds, etc. Like before I did not get to test the top end much because of the conditions but when I did it seems like a gob of power. Hope to find out more tomorrow. Wish I had not lost my gopro at the husky gathering.
  5. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Yep sounds like lots of differences there besides the pipe. I got my son a GoPro Black for X-mas this year and I think I may talk him into some sort of safty wire or something to keep that from happening. I wish you still had your's too; I really liked the video with the reports.
  6. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    I got to ride Kelly's 165 equipped with the smart carb yesterday, jetting wise it ran much much better than my mikuni equipped 125. The carb just flat works, if money was no issue I would buy one for sure.

The only other thing was it seemed to smoke a bunch, but it was just white steam almost like coolant. Still not sure what is going on there as it was not using any coolant. It was really wet though, maybe the smart carb atomizes water from the air more efficiently too.

Here is a steamy photo...

[IMG]

Later,
  7. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

That's bizarre Jake. It must be sucking in some moisture somewhere.
  8. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Kelly's bike is the blue Husky.
  9. Toro618 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    So the carb to order for a 144 or the wb165 is the 36mm straight bore carb?
  10. street2dirt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 TXC310, WR300, 85 125WR, 82 175XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G650X
    anybody have plans to throw one on a 3hunny?? If it does that much for one half it's size, curious minds want to know, lol
    lankydoug likes this.
  11. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr144 with lectron carb, stuff!
    That is what I am getting for my wr144:thumbsup:
  12. Toro618 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    I remember reading a post on the lack of a drain tube on the billet version. Is that going to be a problem, or will APT release the next batch with all the proper vent and drain tubes?
  13. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I ordered the 36 straight. I was going to get the 38 but they were out so which one is better? I don't know :confused:.
  14. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The new billet carbs will have a overflow drain. I understand it's only a problem if your bike is upside down for a while ; it can flood. They are going to send the revised parts for the one's they have already sold.
  15. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I contacted corey at apt and the next batch of billet carbs will have a bowl drain and check valves in the vent lines. I also asked about the throttle cable retainer and it will be up-dated as well.
    Tentontimmy likes this.
  16. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Street2dirt I'm going to bolt it up to my son's 2011 TM250SX when it gets back and maybe my 05RM250.
    454x likes this.
  17. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    :popcorn:
  18. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    01&02WR360_02WR250_02CR250_12WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 VOR400_07 TM450_22 GG250_07 Tuono
    This is after the throttle cable came out at the starting line. Couple of dynamics in play. Bar risers causing short cable housing length, cable length adjustment incorrect, throttle speed screw backed out too far, resultant metering rod misadjusted...I had the adjustment way off and it still ran strong. I've got that retainer secure now!
  19. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Here's a list I created from reading the SC thread on the GasGas and CH forum.

List of benefits;
    No jetting required only external adjustment
    Better throttle response with no circuit transition dead spots
    No external vents to suck trash & water in to the bowl
    Once adjusted it's not tempermental
    Increased performance claim 10% across the board
    Increased mileage 10-20% (making my 2.6 gal WR250 tank seem like a 3 gal.)

Down side;
    Throttle cable is tricky to hook up
    Can flood engine when inverted (check valve update is supposed to fix this)
    Longer carb body is tight fit in air box designed for Mikuni carb dementions

I can edit my list if anyone comes up with other points. I kept the list to performance issues only because cost is subjective and a personal choice.

A conventional carb can also flood the engine when inverted and I've often wondered how much fuel is dribbled out of the vent tube and wasted while riding in rough terrain.
  20. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Add in that it is altitude adjusting which is huge for me.
    erigre likes this.