APT SmartCarb

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Eaglefreek, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Blair7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300, 93 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 WR250F, 01 YZ250 2t, 98 VTR1000
    I'll be heading bush for the entire chrissie holidays to test it out, will put something up then.
    Motosportz likes this.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Rode another 36 miles in 28 degree and 2-5 inches of snow with the stock carb. Was wishing for the APT back several times. Definitely more throttle response, and power and also MPG.
  3. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Good to hear.......at least for me.......you, not so much :D.
  4. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    does anyone have a 250 or 300 they can test the carb on?
  5. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    I bought a billet 36 for my 2009 WR 250, hopefully it'll be here next month and i,ll post my opinion on it.
    lankydoug and marcmo0 like this.
  6. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
  7. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    Wow...looked at their site said they are at pre-order only, FiFo, delivery by May 1st 2013:eek:
  8. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Scheduled Delivery:Tuesday, 18/12/2012, By End of Day
    Last Location:
    Departed - Hermiston, OR, United States, Monday, 17/12/2012

Let me know when it arrives. I'm at home recovering from the Right Shoulder Hemi Arthroplasty. Let me know ASAP if you want to keep it. You have the invoice, So just add $11 to that price and send check. Call or PM me for my home address. You may have that on file since you recently sent me a set of radiator guards. I was in surgery when you posted this.
    Dwight
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    it's all good, will look for it today. Have a ride scheduled for Friday so will report back then. thank you and good luck on your recovery.
  10. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr144 with lectron carb, stuff!
    Have a speedy recovery vinduro,look forward to your ride report motosportz!
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  12. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I finally got a chance to do some testing of the APT from John(Thanks John). Thanks Kelly for sending it on and discussing the cable issue. With the cable turned to the small hole and kept with a pin, I never had any issues with the cable at all(thanks FlyingBob). First thing I did was do a bunch of ripping around with my RB Designs full modded TMXX(including boring to 39mm). It is jetted super crisp and spot on. It has been a month since my last ridng experience and forgot how freaking awsome the 165 runs(200 Fatty pipe).:thumbsup: So I immediately switched carbs to the SC and went through all the same gyrations as with the TMXX. First off is the difference in exhaust note everyone else has mentioned. It isn't that much different from the perfect TMXX but noticeable. Second is the "Instant" throttle response everyone has described, definite improvement and corresponding increase in bottom. Third is just how smooth it pulls from idle to max rev's. Was seeing decreased times in 25mph roll ons in 6th. Was able to pull and accelerate on <5mph climbs that the TMXX tended to not respond to in third gear. Mid was very good and it rev'd slightly faster here than the TMXX. Top end, well the TMXX wins here. With the 13X48 gearing it was pulling 69 mph pretty well with the TMXX. The most the SC would pull is 68mph. I attribute this to the much larger bore of the TMXX. I first ran the SC with Kelly's jetting. It was perfect but when I pulled the plug it was burning with a light tan which is a bit close to the edge for me. I richened the adjustment 2 clicks and couldn't notice any change in running but now the plug has a nice light chocolate tan. Another thing I noticed is how clean the SC runs. I mean no smoke or spooge....none. I ended my ride with a ton of low end pulls and climbs which normally gets a little smoke going when you light it back up, now none. I use an Amsoil Dominator/Interceptor mix and these are very high flash point oils that tend to spooge and smoke when ridden like this especially when it is so cold out and the coolant never sees any temps above 110 degrees. With the SC absolutely none of this.

I am not going to have enough time right now to test this against my well jetted PWK airstriker but if John doesn't mind waiting a few extra days I will get that done.
    All in all a very nice carb with absolute increases in performance and rideability across the board with the exception of the very top. I don't regret spending the $400 on the cast 38mm SC at all. I did all this testing on my '12 WR/CR 165. The SC is much easier to get in there by raising the sub-frame. It does cause the intake boot to ever so slightly rub on the shock. I am going to get a new boot and do some cutting and massaging to shorten it slightly when I fit the SC permanently. Already done some work on this and it will work by doing some slight removal of the inner lip. Only issue is you lose the little tab you grab.

Bottom line: Very nice upgrade and I expect APT to sell a boat load of these with a $375 price point. Adjustment couldn't be easier and once set I doubt you ever touch it again. Only possible fly in the ointment for APT is that the Lectron is cheaper and probably at the very least comes close to the same performance. We will know more on that once someone has both carbs well set up and test back to back.
    typeone, ohmygewd, MattR and 4 others like this.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Nice report thanks. The throttle response and smooth clean jetting are real huh?

- I updated my Lectron thread with a ride report.
    wallybean likes this.
  14. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Its the real deal! :applause: Be careful where you grab a handful in any of the lower 4 gears. It is very easy to modulate but the 165 can leave you doing a classic flying W off the back if you are careless and have any traction.
  15. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Thanks for your test report Walt. Walt yes by all means keep the carb and run a few more test. I'm still playing on the 2010 TC250 so I'm good. Besides you may come up with some other suggestions like Flyingbob that will help all of us SC buyers. Did you re-test top speed after the richen clicks? Thanks again :cheers:.
  16. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Yes, no change. Other than a slight change in plug color to the good.
  17. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Hummm.... looks like top speed guys should go for the 38's? I think I'm goning to try it with the setting you have. I made a few clicks, plug looked good so I just left it alone. Love the set and forget part about these carbs. LOL my Lasik needs to be touched up to read the old jets so I don't miss that.
  18. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

The SC gets to the very top of its pull very quickly, but you can tell that it is a little short on breath vs the modded and bored TMXX. I expect the 38mm to cure that completely and pull much better rpms than the TMXX.

I can also say that I completely expect the difference between the PWK airstriker and the SC to be even greater. The mods that RB Design made to my TMXX once jetted made it run as well as the PWK on the bottom and better everywhere else.
  19. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Yeah his work on my son's PWK for his 2011 TM 250MX was awesome. Ron does great work and he's FAST.
    Motosportz and wallybean like this.
  20. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    waiting to find out how it works on a 360
    from what I read might have to go bigger to get top rpm's