APT SmartCarb

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Eaglefreek, Oct 22, 2012.

1. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Will do :cheers:.
  2. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr144 with lectron carb, stuff!
    I was already interested in this and now after reading these posts,it's even more annoying playing with the stock mikuni!:lol:. Thanks alot john01!:lol:.Keep the ride reports coming!
  3. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Oh you are very welcome :D. It stopped raining a few hours ago so I'll ride a little more tomorrow and again this weekend and give a little more detail. Mikuni's make great paperweights so I hear.
    ohmygewd and huskybear like this.
  4. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I just might find out!:lol:.
  5. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Posi and Lectron were both designed by Red Edmondson as was the Quiksilver that was bought by Edelbrock. I am a believer in Lectron type carbs. I have used both Lectron and Quiksilvers on Hercules, Yamaha, Suzuki and Honda 4 strokes.
  6. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

If it uses a Lectron type needle system then the adjustment knob is for like adjusting the pilot jet. It has a minor effect on entire range but if you need more mid or top fuel you need to change needle. If the needle has a 2 number system then the first number is top end (Main Jet) and second number is Mid Range (Needle).

Lectrons are only about $299. They were bought out a few years ago by FAST BY GAST who has a long time racing experiance using Lectrons on Drag bikes. Including Kawasaki Triples. They have made some minor improvements on the basic design. I wouldn't recommend more than a 36mm as they flow more than an equal sized Keihin or Mikuni.

http://www.lectronfuelsystems.com/carburetor/lectron_power_jet_carburetor_30mm-40mm.html
  7. Blair7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300, 93 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 WR250F, 01 YZ250 2t, 98 VTR1000
    Pretty sure I've convinced myself to bite the bullet and get the billet one for my 300. There is only two things bothering me. First is which size to get and more importantly is the post in the GG forum mentioned it was 3/4'' longer than his Keihin, that would make it a pretty tricky fit seeing as my PWK is already fairly tight.
  8. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    If you read the entire KTMTALK thread there is much talk about RED Edmondson this is his best best work before he passed.
  9. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    John 01 already fitted one to his 08 crwb 165 with no issues, same body style as your bike right?
  10. Blair7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300, 93 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Not sure, I think they have a different frame to the 250/300's so I'm not sure what the spacing is like.
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I bet the GG's us the shorter carb than the huskys.
    ohmygewd likes this.
  12. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    01&02WR360_02WR250_02CR250_12WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 VOR400_07 TM450_22 GG250_07 Tuono
    Mine was waiting on me when I got in this evening. Will post my thoughts tomorrow evening.
    John01, did you have any cable issues?
  13. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

No the cable went right in. The entire install only took about 15 minutes and that was with me actually reading the instructions :lol:. The carb is only slightly wider between the rubber boots; maybe 1/8" max. I was going to measure them both but I didn't want to stop the install process. I just held them next to each other and could tell it was going to fit.
    454x likes this.
  14. Blair7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300, 93 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks guys. My bank account hates you :thumbsup:
    flyingbob likes this.
  15. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I think mine will too! I am interested in hearing more ride reports,this will buy me more time to come up with an excuse for the wife to buy one:lol::thumbsup:.
  16. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well, mine wasn't as 'plug and play' as yours! I had to remove the subframe to get the APT carb into position. The outside to outside measurement of the spigots (engine to air boot) is 75mm for the Mikuni and 94.5 for the APT. The body width of the carbs (end of carb rubber to end of air boot) is 53mm for the Mikuni & 67mm for the APT. Once I got the carb positioned in the intake boot and the air boot, I had to force the subframe into position while the air boot flexed in a bit. There aren't any noticeable bulges or compression wrinkles in the air boot. My throttle cable housing is a tad short so I will see about rerouting that tomorrow. I get rpm creep at full right turn.

The bike fired right up cold without the enrichment circuit opened up. Idled high so I backed it down and went for a little spin. Pulled really well but I didn't hammer it, dark was fast approaching! Seemed kind of lean so I took john01's que and turned the adjustment 3 clicks rich. While I was in the process of getting the needle engaged in the adjuster (you have to open the throttle wide open while turning the external screw to get internal components to 'mate'), the slide or spring released out of a 'bind' and subsequently my idle fell to nothing when I restarted the bike after the adjustment. The bike ran much better after the adjustment but I didn't give it much of a test in the dark!

I rode the bike prior to switching the carbs so I could get an immediate seat of the pants comparison but I was banking on that 15 minute swap! Oh well, I'll fill everyone in tomorrow! It did seem to pull harder (:thinking: with more authority :thinking:) through the gears as well as at lower rpm in a higher gear. More to come.
  17. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

That's wierd that you had trouble mounting it up. The 08 Frame must have more room than the 09 and up's? Rode mine about another hr. or so today and man this thing revs like it did in 125 trim with a 52 rear but with some serious HP and TQ!. I may try a smaller rear than my 50.
  18. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Overall the APT carb is 19.5mm longer than my Mikuni. The APT installed length is 14mm longer than the Mikuni.
  19. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The tmxx carb on the 09 and up are shorter between the boots. That is why it fits tighter
  20. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Good into Troffer88. Yep I measured my Mikuni and it measures 84mm or so. All I had to do was squash the rear rubber back, start the front first, and release the rear boot. Now I did have plenty of practice over the years with jetting, complete bling out, and carb swap before. Hey I do have a lot of old used jets now; wonder what brass is bringing at the scrap yards :D.