APT SmartCarb

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Eaglefreek, Oct 22, 2012.

1. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    01&02WR360_02WR250_02CR250_12WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 VOR400_07 TM450_22 GG250_07 Tuono
    You can now put me down in the 'impressed' column! After getting the cable rerouted under the tank appropriately, all I needed to do was determine which setting I liked better. One click on the needle adjustment requires a corresponding adjustment of the idle speed screw. That's all there is to it. One of these would have prevented a seizure rebuild on my Husky 360 and the purchase price of a PWK replacement carb once upon a time. We'll see what the long term prognosis becomes and I'll keep updating my experiences along the way. Going racing this weekend, that will tell a tale! After watching the Pikes Peak videos and experiencing the way my 144 runs now, I'm thinking the only issue will be me! :oldman: It's good enough that I want to get one for my son's 85 when it's available. Ride safe.
  2. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr144 with lectron carb, stuff!
    I just read all 34 pages of threads in the gas gas forum about this carb. I want to wait for the cast version to come out but I am tired of re-jetting and adjusting the mikuni every-time the wind changes direction! Just might have to visit the bank soon:thinking:!
    Steve-oh likes this.
  3. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Took my WB165 with SmartCarb out to our club MX track today and had a BALL. I also almost went into the woods on out outer property loop going to fast for a turn :eek:!! Seems the SmartCarb makes the WB165 go a wee bit faster than the brakes can slow me down for real sharp turns LOL. The bike spins up so fast now I need to gear it up a little. This things a ROCKET with the SmartCarb! My son also had a ball with it on the MX track.
    wallybean likes this.
  4. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Sounds good! I am thinking of the 38mm straight bore version for my wr150, did you have any fitment issues with the stock throttle cable or any-thing else? Thanks:cheers:.
  5. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I got the 36mm SC, I have the stock cable that came on my 08 CR125, and it all fit right up (cable and carb). I understand my stock Mikuni carb TMX is a little longer between the boots than the 09 and up TMXX carbs. The SC is a still a little longer than stock but mine went right in with no problems. The whole install only took 15 mins or so. Even as easy as my CR is/was to re-jet it was still a pain to keep up with. So far this SmartCarb is better than I was hoping for :applause:.
    wallybean, 454x and huskybear like this.
  6. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rode my APT fed 144 in a harescramble yesterday. I'd have to say it was a great purchase. The engine ripped when I pinned it and the power was smooth and instant (not a light switch hit) no matter what the situation. I no longer felt the power valve opening surge, just an enormous pull on the handlebars. The carb positively was worth the investment. I did have an additional throttle cable issue though. I wanted to go one click richer while on the starting line... when I opened the throttle wide open to engage the adjuster, my cable end came out of the slide retainer. Operator error again as I assume while I was getting the cable housing rerouted, the slack allowed the end to disengage and move out of position. The fix is to positively ensure the retaining washer slot is indexed 180 degrees from the slide slot. A prudent installation calls for removing the subframe, looking into the carb after installation and verifying that the slide stays bottomed; while the cable slack is removed a check is made for sufficient cable housing length to prevent the slide moving while turning handlebars side to side. 99% of the population probably doesn't need to do the 'prudent' check though, just that this kind of thing usually happens to me! Really sucked that I lost a complete lap going to the truck and getting tools:( On a side note, I'd try any hill on my 144 that I'd try on my old 360! Side note 2... I also have the 36mm Smart Carb.
    john01, 454x and huskybear like this.
  7. Eaglefreek Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    Wow, I'm glad the carb works as advertised. Something else to add to the list of stuff I want for my bike.
  8. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Hmm, sounds like one of these is going to have to go on my short list.
  9. Tentontimmy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki GSX-R1000
    Flyingbob, John01, if you don't mind me asking how come you ended up with a 36mm size Smart Carb? Was that APT's recommendation to replace the standard 38mm on the 144/165?

Just trying to work out if I should get the 36mm or the 38mm for my 144.

Thanks.
  10. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Well for me, they were out of the 38's and I didn't want to wait so....I got the 36. They did think it would be a good match for my 165 though. If the 38's better that this holy cow I don't know if I could hold on unless I was in my back pasture LOL. Heck if I could have waited until spring for the cast 38 I would have saved some money but as of now I have no regrets.
    wallybean, Tentontimmy and flyingbob like this.
  11. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I was talking with the Husqvarna regional sales rep at a race, and he told me that if I bought a 125/144 I would love it with a FMF fatty and a 36mm carb! When I talked with APT I was told they were sold out of their 38mm carbs until possibly the first of the year. Added the two conversations and it was a no brainer! Also, I believe it was Vinduro that commented that the Lectrons (the predecessor design) flowed more than a similar bore carb, so that contributed to the decision to go ahead with the 36mm APT. Absolutely no regrets. This is a woods bike, not a dragster! Since mine was put on a literally new engine, it will be great to see how the internal conditions measure up when I get into it later. I'm running Klotz SuperTechniPlate @ 32:1
    wallybean and Tentontimmy like this.
  12. Tentontimmy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki GSX-R1000
    Thanks for the replies. All clear. You've certainly got me convinced to try one of these things!

Though looking on the APT site even the 36mm is out of stock now:(
  13. Blair7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300, 93 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 WR250F, 01 YZ250 2t, 98 VTR1000
    IT'S HERE! It may have cost $150 in shipping but talk about fast!
    wallybean, bax3 and 454x like this.
  14. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I will probably go with the 36 as well based on the reports in this thread,I hope they have more in stock soon!:cheers:.
  15. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Blair7 so you got one and if so which size? For your 2010 WR300?
  16. Blair7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300, 93 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 WR250F, 01 YZ250 2t, 98 VTR1000
    Got the 38 for my WR300. Just charging up the camera so I can post some pics.
  17. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    If you read the whole Gas Gas Thread and Ktm Talk thread you"ll find out that the APT Smart Carb 36MM flow's and equal amount of air as the Keihin or Mikuni 38mm with an increase in low end with no loss of top end.
    wallybean and Tentontimmy like this.
  18. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Congrats Blair7 look forward to your ride report. If the SC improves the big 300's like it did my 165....hold on tight guys.
    Blair7 likes this.
  19. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    what carb were you running before John ?
  20. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Mikuni TMX 38 mm stock carb.