APT SmartCarb

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Eaglefreek, Oct 22, 2012.

1. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    01&02WR360_02WR250_02CR250_12WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 VOR400_07 TM450_22 GG250_07 Tuono
    I'm surprised you didn't try it on the TM!
    My son has a TM 85 & a KX 85 we're anxiously awaiting the smaller bores to improve!
  2. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I don't think we can stand any more power from that beast :D! We may try it just to see when it gets back :thinking:.
    huskybear likes this.
  3. SC1 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2011 GasGas EC300 2009 KTM 300XC
    marcmo0 and jmetteer like this.
  4. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

John,
    You realize that when Kelly really likes something he tends to never let go. :D
  5. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I have it as only even odds that it makes it to me.
  6. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Oh he'll send it on to you ....I know because I read it on the internet :D. I put in a lot of MX and woods loop riding on the WB165 with SmartCarb Sunday and I REALLY need to change the rear sprocket back to a 48 so I can keep up with the bike now! I can't wait to see what you guys think of it.
    wallybean likes this.
  7. Eaglefreek Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
  8. Idacurt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 WB177
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 175
    Can we get a better look at the clear plastic one? I would like to see how it is different than my PWK.
    Very nice looking Carb!
  9. street2dirt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 TXC310, WR300, 85 125WR, 82 175XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G650X
    Ok, dang it, just read this whole thread and I'll be waiting for one in the spring. can't wait til someone gets to test one on a 300, should be interesting...............
    lankydoug, Steve-oh and marcmo0 like this.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    My buddy has a 07 WR250 we could toss it on for a try, might be able to do that this weekend.
    bax3, 454x, lankydoug and 2 others like this.
  11. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I just ordered a 36mm Lectron with adjustable Power Jet to test. This is the new updated Lectron with more percision needles and adjustable PJ. No jets to change at all. Putting this on my NEW 2013 WR165. http://www.lectronfuelsystems.com/carburetor/lectron_power_jet_carburetor_30mm-40mm.html
    It will be fun to see how this compares to the 38mm Mikuni TMXx, 36mm Keihin PWK / AS, verses Lectron 36mm.
    Probably won't be able to test till February due to Shoulder HemiArthroplasty on my right shoulder, Dec 14. Same thing I had done to my left shoulder in July. I hope to race the March Nat'l Enduro in SC as my first race back. I won't be up to par but hope to finish in the points, 200A class.
  12. DaveG321 Husqvarna
    A Class

That sounds like me,had my right rotator cuff done 2 yrs ago and on Jan 4th I will have my left one done,no fun.We will have to compare rehabs together,good luck Vinduro.
    Vinduro likes this.
  13. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Hope your surgery goes well!
    DaveG321 likes this.
  14. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Which one ? The transplant on the bike or my shoulder ? LOL
    DaveG321, Steve-oh and wallybean like this.
  15. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    The installation/tuning guide is rather wordy compared to the APT manual:) Maybe one day you can compare them, too!
  16. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Wordy? I thought is was very good reading and explained the tuning process well. I think reading this is nessessary to know how the carb works and the proper way of tuning it. It should come very closely tuned from Lectron with only minor low speed adjustments needed.
  17. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I concur. It would be interesting to get your comparison of the two carbs. I should have clarified my thoughts about needing to make the adjustments in the event the carb isn't closely tuned. The APT has none.
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    My APT report...

Bike:

Semi warn out 04 CR125 (still 125cc) with Doma pipe. Runs pretty hard so was just waiting for it to wear out in my sloppy mud rides before bolting on the 165 kit I have had for months. It is ready for a rebuild but still runs good. I thought last ride, "finally it is wearing out and I can put the 165 kit on" as it was starting to feel weak on the bottom and kicks starts to freely (scientific I know).

Let the frustrations begin:

I figured this would be a 10 minute install and try in out in front of the house real quick the nigh before the ride. I did not think i would be riding at all because we are dealing with some stuff at home but the wife insisted i go so who am I to argue but this means last minute preparations. First off the CNC carb is freaking HUGE and heavy. unbolted the top (three bolts) got the slide out and the cable in and installed the slide and top back in. Wrestled the carb into place and got things lined up etc. twisted the throttle and noticed it feels odd, then felt the cable pop out og the slide and was not moving it. Crap. wrestle the huge carb out and reinstall the cable. Adjust the cable, feels weird like adjusting it is not taking up the slack. Everything just feels off. But I get it installed and it seems to be moving the slide fine. roll it out, turn on the gas kick it 15 times... nothing. Oh yeah, in my exuberance forgot to pull the choke, nice rooky move Kelly. Pull the choke, try to start it, no go. realize the throttle cable has come loos again!!! wrestle the carb out for the third time and get it all put back together and leave the carb off the bike so i can see whats up. seems it is able to push the cable extra after the carb closes letting it slide out of its tiny slot and lose from the carb. Not wild over the cable holder design. Get it installed and by backing the cable guide int he top of the carb way out am able to get it to stay. bolt it all back up and go try it again. Got it to start after about 4 kicks. Does not want to idle and idle knob seems to work weird, not change stuff and make the cable feel weird again. WTF. Also I can't seem to get the adjuster knob on the carb to engage the adjuster. Get it running and ride it around some. Seems OK but not great and not better than the stock carb and some running issues. Does not idle. Go to turn around and the throttle cable is now to short and pulls the cable from the mounts and revs to the moon. Fun. Go back to the garage and pull the throttle all apart and reroute the cable behind the triple clamp. I am into this 2 hours now and kinda pissed. this is my last try and then i am putting the stock carb back on. Get it to work well enough, got it to start and run OK and figured I'd bring my stock carb with me and hope for the best.

The ride:

Like I said this was all last minute to me. Met buddy Blake and drove to an area with some real nice single track. It has been raining a lot the last three weeks and it is going to be a sloppy cold slide fest. Good with me, love those conditions. (seriously). Bike fired up after about 7 kicks, not encouraging. Got it run OK, bit it seems lean. We take off. Runs pretty good under load and normal riding, about like stock but seems to have a little more bottom and more throttle response down low. Adjusted the knob (low to mid is what that affects) and went richer, seemed to run worse. Went leaner, getting better. This thing i think has 50 clicks. I ended up going 13 leaner. OK, now we are talking. Bike is super crisp, very snappy and gained a lot of bottom.

Now that we are in business:

After the initial issues and adjustment the bike is running very well. Idles right now (was probably because the fuel rod was 13 clicks rich I was having issues). Throttle response in WAY more responsive. The low end power that seemed to be getting softer last few rides (compression was my guess) is now much stronger. I mean very strong, gained a substantial amount of power. Mid is very good as it has always been with the Doma but does have more. Top end I don't get into until later as this is all tight and slick clay based woods riding. I'm pretty freaking happy with the carb at this point. super smooth power, EZ to modulate, seems way more crisp than ever, gained huge amount of bottom, some mid and feels like some top. I finally get it to some more open areas and some road transfers sections and get to open it up. The Dome has always brought a lot of mid power at the expense of top end. I was always fine with that as I ride woods and in the bottom / mid a lot and love the mid range rush the Dome provide so the slightly capped top end never really bothered me. Well now it pulls like a scalded cat on top. HUGE gains. You can only be in the top and "On the pipe" for a few seconds as stuff happens quick and it revs to the moon real fast.

Initial conclusion for this ride:

The carb is no joke. The size and weight of the CNC version is offensive :>). Don't care. Ass dyno says it gained 30% off the bottom, 15% in the mid and gobs up top. You do seem to have to pull the throttle open further to get to the power and this is probably because of the keyhole progressive bore. But that also makes metering the low end very smooth and detailed. I found I had a lot more control over the much improved power. Win / win. Like others commented, easier to ride but much more power which seems counter-intuitive but is the case. We rode from 250 feet to 2000 feet, 30 degrees to about 45 and it ran perfect. Did not touch the carb all day after initial setup and it runs fantastic. Blake and I traded off, he has a WB165 with PC pipe. His bike is running very nice. His does still have more bottom but the mid and top my 125 are right there and the bottom is close. He was also stunned how good it ran, how much bottom emd it gained and how EZ it was to meter the power. The bike has a slightly different sound and the throttle response is FAR better. It is very snappy. I commented a few times during the ride it feels like it is about to blow up it is running so good. Feels like it gained CC's and has a shaved head and av gas. Has that super crispy snappy sound and response. Very happy with the performance. This carb is the real deal. I like the no external lines, the twist the knob adjusting, no jets to clog, and the huge power and response gains. If this thing gets better mileage too (and i think it will) it will be icing on the cake.

I'm sold. Its is real, it does increase performance and run-ability in substantial and real world ways.

Will be installing the 165 kit in the next few days and trying it on that. I have the feeling it will be a fire breathing monster.

I'm not looking forward to giving this carb back and the LONG wait for my cast one to arrive.
    typeone, MattR, 454x and 4 others like this.
  19. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr144 with lectron carb, stuff!
    Great report! I am looking forward to getting mine and finding out how it works on my wr144.:cheers:.
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Some crappy cell phone pix for fun...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    typeone likes this.