1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st At a lectron or apt smart carb asap! :)

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by DON SIMMS, May 7, 2015.

1. DON SIMMS Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TC 450 2011 WR 300
    Had some piston issues with my wr300 and finely said f it and decided to just do the bike right. I'm still looking for a lectron or APT to make her run perfect. Please let me know if anyone has something just sitting around.
  2. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    pay half the price and get the lectron. smart carb has added complication that is uneeded.
    jman2-stroke likes this.
  3. DON SIMMS Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TC 450 2011 WR 300
    I'll take what I can get at this point! lol
  4. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Lectron has less issues from what ive heard shoot kelly at motorsports an email very helpful bloke.
    My 360 runs a lectron and was the single best mod i did, if i had to do it all again the first thing i would buy is a lectron everything else can wait.
    Petar and 2premo like this.
  5. DON SIMMS Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TC 450 2011 WR 300
    I'd like to find a used one if I could
  6. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    01&02WR360_02WR250_02CR250_12WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 VOR400_07 TM450_22 GG250_07 Tuono
    I don't agree with you on this one. Both carbs work well and I think the APT is worth it as there is no venting issue and the ease of that rod adjuster is awesome. The Lectron is an awesome carb as well. I have three Lectrons and two APTs. Both carbs have had to go through a rod refinement phase.
    Palito and 2premo like this.
  7. DON SIMMS Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TC 450 2011 WR 300
    Wanna sell me one?! :)
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Lectron. The APT is a copy and not as good IMHO. No powerjet adjustment which I find VERY useful and the bottom line is Lectron had 40 years of experience with this carb and has it dialed. We (Motosportz) work closely with them and have great setups custom configured for almost every bike. No need for goofy tip over valves that stick (APT) or months of fiddling to get them to run good, bolt on, fine tune and enjoy. Lectron do VERY well with elevation and temp changes. I have sold over 400 of these carbs, people absolutely love them and many buy more than one. I just installed my 5th personal Lectron on my WR500 big bore Yamaha and it absolutely transformed it. Huge smooth power everywhere and runs perfect.

Just got this Email last night from another happy customer...

Just wanted to let you all know that the Lectron has made a huge difference in my WXE 360 1995 Husqvarna. It went from being a everyday problem to a joy to ride and a beast. I was to the point of selling the bike until I added the lectron, Now I figure I will probably never sell it.
    Thanks for your help,
    Delighted in the Pine Barrens
    Jeff
    ryboj and juicypips like this.
  9. woodsrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    '18 Alta MXR
    I found a used Lectron from a guy on KTMtalk. The used ones don't come up for sale too often so you have to be vigilant and act quickly. Check the classifieds on your favorite sites daily in order to have any chance of finding one used.

Also, make sure its one of the newer designs and that it has the metering rod that will work with your bike. There are some older Lectrons out there as well as newer ones that may not have the recommended rod for your bike (or plan on buying the correct rod).

Love my Lectron. Recently rode my bike out in eastern WA after not having ridden it in a couple of months. Completely different elevation and weather conditions from my last ride. Was wondering how the bike would run. It started right up, ran like a champ all weekend. Never even considered fiddling with the carb, no need, the bike was ripping.

Good luck. -Ed
  10. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC

you are correct on the assumption because i keep hearing about how great the Kiehin was
    i have a 93 with the OEM Mic and a friend had the PWK, it did not run any better and i am comparing similar design carbs
    to compare the APT to the Lectron is fair, i have read reviews and there were a couple of bugs to sort out but i don't see that as unusual, while the Lectron is sorted out i see technically more potential with the APT
    i have a Lectron it is WAY better that a late generation Mic TX, but that being said curios how it would compare t an APT, i bought the Lectron because it came with a promise of out of the box and since we were going pretty far out as in away from parts or for that matter cell service i was not prepared to take a chance, a thanks to Kelly is in order in that it did run with minor tuning, had to move the needle some
    back to the point it seems currently that the advantage to the Lectron is that it's closer to bolt on and ride
    i am curious to see a sorted out APT comparison to a sorted out Lectron, hope someone does one
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I have sold many Lectrons to very unhappy APT customers some which worked on them months to get them to run right. Call Richard from house of HP, he worked on his APT for months and finally got it to run well. I had him try a Lectron. He now sells Lectrons to his customers and loves them.
  12. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

Bob is a happy APT customer, yes there is some work to be completed no argument there and the fact that the lions share of that is done on the Lectron doesn't mean the APT doesn't have potential it is just currently behind the curve
    i am careful not to talk smack of others products or projects
    Motosportz likes this.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    True. I liked the APT billet carb John here let me try which led me to Lectron. Did not mean to crap on APT just don't like their prepay and maybe we'll get you a carb policy and then a product that needs much work. Not talking smack, he asked specifically and I am responding on my feelings alone, nothing more. Heard one bad story after another, go read the KTM and GG forums for more feedback. Also I feel they simply copied Lectron and tried to sell it as something new. I also had several go arounds with them and it was not fun. Trying to save the OP the hassle. And feel free to buy the Lectron from someone else, I'm not trying to sell a carb here just letting my vast experience with both be known.
    fredd likes this.
  14. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

i bought one from you, it works fine
    i am still curious to see how they compare when they sort them out
    to say they copied them would be pushing it Mikuni did not invent the carb but did a good job of refining, Keihin is more of a copy and no one bags on them
    they are VERY similar but different, i see them as similar looking similar function
    as in my 1st post comparing a Mic flat slide TM to a PWK, the early TM was fine, i have 3 of them
    i keep hearing about how great the PWK is compared to,,,,, sorry but it was not better than mine, but some people have NO LUCK
    Motosportz likes this.
  15. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    does the apt have an external powerjet adjuster? you have to change the internal parts, no? that was a selling point to me from my research..
    i really dont know the answer so im asking but will apt machine the carb to your dimensions like lectron will? thats also a big selling point to me. to be able to just bolt it on in place of your old carb, and use your old boots or whatnot if so desired.
    has apt released their cast version? when i was shopping for my first lectron they were not available.
    also is it possible to readily speak on the phone with the owner/operator of the apt business like you can with kevin at lectron?

again, i really dont know the answers so im asking.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The APT has no PJ so you need to change the rod to make any top end changes. The PJ is very important to me. Yes, their cast version is out.

Just installed a Lectron on my yamaha WR500, top end was to rich but bottom and mid were perfect. Dialed the PJ half turn leaner, bikes runs perfect, "tuning" done, probably never look at the carb again like on my other bikes.
  17. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    i really do like the external powerjet, altho i know you can retro them to other carbs. its a very sensitive adjustment, but in a good way. apt having the cast versionout lets them into the conversation at least. that billet deal was waay expensive.
  18. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    i havent dealt with APT but the wait for the carbs a few years ago was ridiculous was it not? im sure theyre a great carb too but for me i like the adjustable PJ so you can set & forget the top end then just concentrate on getting bottom-mid dialled in(as im currently doing on my 300). i know dick all about carbs but the Lectrons are pretty easy to adjust(ahem just dont go crazy leaning them out ahem) & dealing with Kelly was easy. Both Kelly & Kevin reply to emails & dumb questions/requests from me promptly every time. good service which is hard to come by Down Under means a fair bit in swaying my $$$
    sabortooth likes this.
  19. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I have both and have extensive use with the Lectron and love it. APT has been working to try and get their cast carbs up to snuff for a while now. Lots of teething pains with distributers and quality control. I think their latest generation of this carb has solved most all the problems for the big bores 250 and larger. Corey upgraded mine free of charge and I am now working with it to test the available rods that will work best with the 165. The 165 is a tough nut for the carb without a high speed circuit because of its demand for easy, large quantities of fuel at the larger throttle openings and barely sipping it at small openings. Work and life has gotten in the way of doing any real work with it in the last couple of months so it is an unfinished project. I have a richer rod to try just can't make it out with the carb as a full on ride into nowhere isn't the way to test. I have to find time to get it into the mountains where I can work within a few miles of the truck in case of issues. Hoping to get it done in the next few weeks.

I will say that APT probably jumped the gun on early production of the cast carbs and counting on subs to provide quality parts they promise. It is unfortunate because the basic idea behind the changes to the carb versus the Lectron have merit, if not for everyone.
    2premo and johnnyboy like this.
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Thanks for chiming in Walt.

The only "advantage" I see is the way to adjust the rod externally. For me this is not a big deal as once I set the Lectron I'm pretty much done forever. The lack of a PJ is huge to me. The rod they use now is almost an identical rod to the standard 3-2 rod Lectron uses. The APT closed circuit for elevation changes is useless to me as the Lectron handles HUGE changes in elevation and temps just fine. The tip over valves APT uses to make it a closed circuit can and do stick and then the carb bowl overflows into the engine and causes hydraulic lock and other unpleasant things. Its all not necessary and just adds complexity and issues IMHO.