1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st At a lectron or apt smart carb asap! :)

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by DON SIMMS, May 7, 2015.

1. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Sounds like my kinda carb im gunna buy an apt now lol
  2. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC

so question on the APT, the one of the claims was big mileage improvement
    do you feel it hits that one?

i tip my hat to any company this day and age that's willing to make a big commitment like this
    my neighbor makes rocker arms for NHRA and NASCAR teams, they are custom but he also sells a line of direct fit ones
    these are not cheap and his machine facility reminds me of the place they do the APT, a ton of machine investment, way cool to visit
    for us guys machines running trick parts coming out,,, well you get the picture

http://www.tdmach.com
  3. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    whats the venting issue? i havent heard of this
  4. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

the APT by design pressurizes the bowl, so if you tip the bike will it flow fuel, technically anything can go wrong, but the design uses 2 balls in a floating system to control fuel if you tip it over
    nothing is perfect but some people use this as an argument that they are inferior, they are just different
    had a needle and seat go out on me once Mikuni is not junk because of it
  5. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yup viton tip on my old kmx went bad on mikuni it was 28 years old and the replacment was a fiver.
  6. woodsrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    '18 Alta MXR

From what I understand having followed APT's progress the last couple of years is that part of ATP's goals are to meet strict EPA regulations so their carbs can be used on new production street legal bikes (among other applications). In order to do that the fuel system cannot vent directly to the atmosphere, hence they do not have a typical float bowl overflow system.

As mentioned previously, they have a ball check system to essentially block the flow of fuel if the bike tips over therefore preventing fuel from leaking from the carbs. Early on there were lots of reports of sticking balls, flooded engines, etc, not sure how they are performing now.

I was eagerly waiting for them to work out the teething problems but finally gave up paying any attention once I found a used Lectron for my 125.

I'm hoping they will work it all out as I like the idea of an Lectron like EPA compliant carb vs fuel injection (which adds wieght, complexitiy, more failure points, etc).
    troy deck, 2premo and juicypips like this.
  7. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    ok, gotcha. i thought he said lectron had a problem with their venting. i was thinking their vents are like most everyone elses? gotcha now. apt certainly is forward thinking and its nice to have choices. the more the better!
    woodsrider likes this.
  8. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    No not like everyones i tilt my bike over and no fuel comes out admitted i run vent under seat but if that was old tmx i would be giving her 6 kicks before she cleared an ran. Lectron one kick hot cold any weather once dialled in DO NOT TOUCH THROTTLE is my only advice. I forget and kick three times before i hit stupid mode not previous bike no throttle required.
  9. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

i have to barely crack mine when it's hot or it just won't start
  10. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    mine likes the throttle open as well when hot.
  11. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

The new tip over valves used in the retro fit of my APT are said to be impossible to stick. I agree with Kelly that the Lectron is very altitude tolerant with only a slight need for idle adjustment when above 9000'. It is also set and forget. The biggest advantages I see in the APT is the Key hole design and the stupid easy adjustment of the rod although as I, Kelly, and many others have said that is only an advantage in initial setup. I can't comment on fuel economy versus the Lectron as I am not at that point. I think the Lectron does have an advantage with the power jet design as a safety feature and tuning guide for those who live with it WOT a lot. My initial butt feel is that the APT offers a better initial response through the mid-throttle level but this is from very incomplete evaluation.

Once again I have absolutely no iron in this fire other than always wanting to find the best solutions for my riding and my motors. I love the Lectron and hope to also love the APT once sorted out. I think when it is all settled they will both have great seats at the table with slightly different approaches. Currently the Lectron rules until I have better data.
    jmetteer, woodsrider and 2premo like this.
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Was just pointing out many people had serious flooding issues with sticky tip over valves in the APT. Thats all. If they fixed that then great, none issue now.
    woodsrider likes this.
  13. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    01&02WR360_02WR250_02CR250_12WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 VOR400_07 TM450_22 GG250_07 Tuono
    Every Lectron I've put on a bike sucked dirt up the vent hoses until I ran them up under the tank or into the air box. In a GNCC race, a very muddy race, my son's bike would literally quit running, start after a bit, run for a while then quit again. When he finally got it back to the trailer, we found the vent hoses had mud plugs about 3/4 of the way up them. I would see dirt in the bottom of the fuel bowl... Did the hose relocation and then added a filter to them for comfort. Problem solved. On the APT, the tipover valves are a non issue my cast carb. I had problems with my first billet, #0005, and that was corrected with their spring loaded check valve fix. We had a 27mm APT on a KX85 that was literally perfect from the first installation. The Lectron is a great carb, too. Walt fairly well describes my feelings on the subject. One other note, when I put the APT on my WR250, I had issues with the bike that I pointed towards the carb. When I put the thermostat system back on it, problem solved. I also had Kevin at Lectron machine a 30mm carb for a KX112 Supermini bike, awesome performance from day one with it, too. Put the billet APT on a friend's old Honda CR480, nothing but praise. He put it on and made no adjustments.

I bought a used Lectron. Seller said he couldn't get it to work on his bike. When I pulled the slide, the needle was 180 degrees off. Meaning reversed... I put the carb on my WR360, fired up, ran great with a little tuning. I've read countless threads on the APT issues, makes me wonder what the hell is the problem. There is a set procedure to setting them up but some folks just don't get it in my opinion. Just my opinion...

Kelley, do you have to crack your throttle to hot start your bike? I don't.
    2premo, woodsrider and Motosportz like this.
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Most bike yes, crack the throttle. Some no. Have never seen the vent hoses suck dirt up them on a 2 stroke, thats weird, there should not be suction there. I have seen hoses get mud in the end from being long and getting in the mud.
  15. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    The mud plugging was with the as supplied kinda short vent lines. It was one of those to the airbox rut affairs! Looked like wasps had made it up the hoses! My son was pi$$ed. I expect the dirt issue is from sudden and then extended high rpm and maybe a tad small needle supply valve causing a high vacuum situation. It's possible the vents could be a tad small and the low fuel in the bowl would create the high velocity vent requirement situation. It has happened in every Lectron I've had. That's not a knock on the carb, just one of those things. I'm actually ready to pull the trigger on a downdraft Lectron for my TM 450.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yeah. mud plugging the ends is bad. Most rout them tot he air box. I cut the overflow tubes lengthwise and also the ends at an angle. This usually keeps them free of obstructions.

Very odd. I would like to know more about this because I have sold over 400 Lectrons and have not had much report like this. Would love to come up with a permanent solution to this issue. We like to resolve issues and make these the best carbs. There should never be high vacuum in the carb bowl. Fuel is sucked out via the rod and PJ and replaced via the float and needle. I don't see why there would be high vacuum in the bowl wever. Not saying ti is not happening just trying to get my head around it. Thanks for the feedback.
    2premo likes this.
  17. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    My thoughts are that the demand, especially on the 165 at race pace, is greater than the flow through the float valve, combined with maybe a 'tad small' venting capacity. The fuel is being drawn up the needle by engine demand, inadequate supply and basically an 'aerated' (and lean) fuel flow at high velocity causing the dirt/dust/muddy particulate; to be introduced through the vent lines. I have no other idea why dirt would be on the bottom of my float bowl after a race. I run fuel filters and VP110 race gas. These were hi-comp 165s. Never felt that I had a fueling problem though. I wondered why the power jet wouldn't have passed the lower level fuel as well. Probably just in my head. :oldman:
    Motosportz likes this.