Barrett Marketing Group (cdn Husq Dist) Bankrupt

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by ScottyR, Feb 4, 2012.

1. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Company line, what was he supposed to say
  2. North Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te610
    Other Motorcycles:
    530 ktm 1200GS
    I never liked Barrett after they took over and thought that they were in it solely for the money.

I am very sorry to hear how you got screwed Scott. I have always thought of you as the kind of Dealer that I would like to have and wish you the best.
  3. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

At the time it was OK. Anything was better than dealing with Mark Brady at HNA.

I will survive. This wont put me out of business or anything but it might be bolongna sandwiches for a couple of years.
  4. OlivierTE250 Husqvarna
    A Class

Good luck Scott. It is always sad to learn that small and very devoted dealers like you (and JP) are hit hard.

I am puzzled: How can a distributor owe money to a dealer? I thought that dealers were buying the bikes at a discount. Sorry, I obviously don't understand the business model here and I'm curious.
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    factory kick back programs, floor discounts, etc.
  6. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

The Dist owes all the dealers money for a few reasons.

1. Warranty claims.
    2. Retail rebates. This is where my problems lie. I worked my azz off and sold 29 bikes in Dec and they all had rebates on them ranging from $700-$1600. 29 x $1200 adds up pretty quick....
  7. AndrewS Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350s 2013 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 TE250 (sold)
    Crap. That sucks, Scott. I hope that, since it was a factory rebate, HNA will make it up to you. Although since you call it a 'retail rebate,' perhaps it's a different thing?

Also, was it Barrett as a whole that filed, or just part of it that was responsible for distributing Husky? There doesn't seem to be any news about them on the web.

*edit* Nevermind. Just found it. I was looking with google news, but just a regular google search brought up the filing.
  8. Slowpoke Husqvarna
    AA Class

It appears from looking thru the filing that they hadn't paid anyone of their major creditors for a while; Royal Bank, GE finance, and their Landlord.
    If they get that far into default with that many folks, I'd be suspicious of where the cash was going.
    I'm assuming you're filing a legal claim? I know I would be in this case. It may be worthwhile seeing if you can file it against their personal assets and or slide in to the front of the line using some creative/clever legal interpretation. Depending how the rebate/warranty agreements are structured, you may even be able to make GE finance (or?) pay you what's owed & they'll have to recoup from the breakup. Also look at suing the directors of BMG(they should have insurance in place). They obviously knew about the shaky condition of BMG for a while.

This has always been one of my bugaboos with the bankruptcy process- especially when employees are owed money for severance etc., & smaller mom & pop creditors. The big guys such as the banks are first in line at the trough(behind the lawyers- they'll get paid first), & the little guys are usually last & are lucky to get a few crumbs, yet it affects them financially the most(by far). The Royal is owed a bit over $1 million, which isn't even a rounding error on their 2011 net income after taxes of $4.8 billion & they'll probably recoup 80-90% at worst. If they recoup zero, they won't miss it, although the lending manager may not get a bonus or a reduced bonus that year. Big deal.
    For a small shop, the loss can mean their entire profit for the year, or worse. One guy I know almost lost his business when one of his clients went bankrupt. When an employee doesn't get severance or their last paycheck in a bankruptcy, it means they may literally go hungry and lose their house.
    Our legal priorities are out of whack IMO.
    KLOC likes this.
  9. KLOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Good!

Not good for Scotty and the dealers and creditors, but I'm pleased to hear BMG is done for.
    Wondering what BMW will do to alleviate the problem. Offer up the Husky rights to someone who can actually run such an operation or just in-house it under the BMW umbrella. Guess we'll see.
  10. jasonmt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11' TXC 449, 11' TE 630, 11' TE 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ninja 1000, ZX7R, 300 XC-W Christini
    Just reading this now, BMG going tits up is a good thing to hear for us Canadian Husky owners in my mind as all you have to do is look at how much better KTM Canada is doing since they parted ways with BMG back in 03.
  11. dcg141 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Wow Scotty...I would hope that BMW steps up to the plate on those rebates. Solid legal case if you were to go that route.
  12. KLOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

13. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

That is the lawn and garden division of Husqvarna. Not the motorcycles.
  14. KLOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

:-)

I need parts for my chainsaw too!
    Haven't seen anything about a new distributor for Canada.
  15. vegtablebrain Husqvarna
    AA Class

Scotty, please keep me posted as I would like to attend a liquidation sale if there is one. TKS, JIM
  16. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Damn shame I don't much business experience. I could have been a dealer :D

Garden variety Husky still at the top rung of the product line. :cheers:
  17. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

They really dont have much available for sale other than 50 + CR50s.
  18. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

there are cr50 in the usa?

r
  19. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Barrett and scottyr are in Canada.
  20. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class