BMW and Husky's Massive Miscalculation?

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by Norman Foley, Sep 30, 2011.

1. racer726 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm just hoping for an updated design for the 125 motor. That's been basically the same since 99 or so. I know that they updated the cylinder back around 08. I'm tired of getting pulled by KTM's...
  2. utopia Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250, WXC125
    In my opinion, they just need to figure out how to shave off about 13 lbs from the WR250 (and the electric start that so many want is not going to help this!, nor is FI). The engine is more powerful than my ktm 250, the ergos and handling are better than my ktm. I don't want DI, I don't need 6 speed, and I don't want electric start. Keep it simple and make it light.
    typeone and lankydoug like this.
  3. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Simple, light and a lower price as it is is hard to beat. Unless somebody makes a bike that is light years ahead of my 09 WR250 I'm keeping mine. It's just not worth it to me to pay $3,500 more dollars to get trick of the week and 10 less pounds no matter who makes it.
  4. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't 4 strokes outsell 2 strokes by a large margin? In California, 2 strokes are red sticker bikes, which means in many places you can only ride them half the year.

If 2 strokes can get clean and become street legal/green stickered, then the game changes. Direct Injection brings the promise of that. We'll see if it can deliver eventually.

I don't think Husky is in danger of extinction because it has failed to focus on the niche 2 stroke market. In fact, Husky is doing better than ever and their 4 strokes are winning championships this year.

Also, Husky is not the oldest motorcycle manufacturer still in production. It's Royal Enfield, which first produced a bike in 1901. Harley and Husky started in 1903.
  5. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    I actually entertained the idea of buying a 2011 Royal Enfield C5 Bullet Classic (http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/models/classic-c5.html) as a street bike... until I saw it leaking oil all over the showroom floor... and then reading about them on the net. "Handmade in India". Nope.
  6. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Their slogan should be "Leaking oil since 1901".:D They need to make the big engine again those were cool bikes (that leaked oil all the time).
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yes! and exactly why I think they made the right decision to further the 4strokes and work on the 2014 requirements for the new 2 stroke. At local tracks you see nearly NO 2 strokes and off road races seem a good blend but majority 4 strokes. Husky has never sold many WR's for some reason.
  8. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    You can't deny their "retro appeal". They are definitely the coolest looking "retro" bike out there IMHO. The owner of the shop kept telling me how reliable they were and how he never sees them back in his shop. Yet the only bike in his shop at the time of my first visit was an Enfield... that is still there since my visit last weekend... over 5 months. Hmmmmm.
  9. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I went to an AMA national hill climb in the late 70s and the open A class was full of Triumph and Norton twins with long swingarms with paddle tires and hopped up engines. I thought it would be cool to have one of those for the street someday. I've heard they still make the big engine but don't import it to the USA.
  10. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Looked at a 2010 Triumph Scrambler this past Saturday. The retro Triumphs are waay cool. Even have fake carbs to hide the EFI injectors. Thinking about a Scrambler or Bonneville T100.
  11. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    It's definitely different where I live..... MX is definitely a 4 stroke domain, but off road racing and recreational riding the pendulum is swinging back 2 stroke. This was a huge Team Green area, A Kawi 250 2 stroke was the standard HS bike. Riders went 4 stroke at the demise of Japanese 2 strokes and it only lasted about 2 seasons. KTM reaped their return to 2 strokes, not Yami. That said.. there a lot of YZ250's in our local enduro and HS Series. Since there is no public access trail riding in our area, riding is very off road competition oriented. Even our fun riding is on private HS loop, enduro sections or trials loops, that we can get permission to ride. We ride stuff that's pretty hard on bikes and the consenus is forming... that 2 strokes take the abuse better and are cheaper to rebuild.
    jmetteer likes this.
  12. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Even though I will probably never ride in California and often use California as an example of how not to run a government, I do think it would be great to have a clean streetable 2t and I would shell out the cash if someone made one. If you gave me a 4t dirt bike I would list it for sale immediately and besides AMA MX riders that have to ride them if they want to be competitive within the confines of the rules, I'm still puzzled as to why anyone else would buy one. To each his own I say. :excuseme:
  13. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    A 6-speed isn't about top speed at all. In fact, I think a 6-speed is more important on the smaller motors. A 6-speed is much more than just a 5-speed with an extra gear tacked on for top speed. A 6-speed is more useable in the woods. It is easier to stay exactly where I want to be in the powerband. I don't have to work the clutch as much to stay where I want to stay, and I don't find myself in between gears as often.

That being said, I wouldn't buy a "new" WR250/300 if all they did was give it a 6-speed, but I would buy one if all they did was put it in the new frame. The difference in handling between my `09 WR125 and Eric's `09 WR250 is like night and day.
    Motosportz, lankydoug and wallybean like this.
  14. racer726 Husqvarna
    AA Class

It's not like that at my local tracks. 4 strokes still out number 2 strokes, but there are plenty of 2 strokers at the mx races. 250 2 strokes are legal in the 250 class. Quite a few yamis and ktms in the 250 class. we also have a 125 2 stroke class that gets good numbers.
    montgob1 likes this.
  15. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

It's way more 2-strokes around here too. But our state doesn't put colored stickers on bikes; we leave it up to the owners lol.
  16. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Everywhere we ride here in CA we see more and more 2-strokes. It's been this way for the last few years.
  17. montgob1 Husqvarna
    A Class

I wish we had a 125 class in the NW series's. One indoor track does a 125 class but its open skill/ open age and it usually has about 2-3 bikes.