CA to Sheboygan Round Trip...

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by Johnrg, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic/Ducati SFV2
    Today I covered a bit more territory. Decided to go out to 395 and wind my way back across some new trails and the motorcycle only singletrack. Could not find it at first and went past a ways, then backtracked and asked at a general store/atv rental outfit where it was. Once located it seemed as though I was the only one using it as no other tracks for the most part. Had to get over a little blowdown and find ways around some but that didn't deter me. Passed through the town of Nemo and Robaix on 395. Also did a bit of pavement as you can see on 395 to get to the trail. Riding here it is a good idea to have a plate as makes traversing the area easy. All in all I covered 60 miles today.

blackhills2.JPG

Singletrack for motorcycles only...

WP_20140731_11_53_39_Raw__highres.jpg

Dalton Lake. Looks awesome for camping, fishing and staging...

WP_20140731_12_55_07_Raw__highres.jpg

The last downhill stretch to Sturgis Road...

WP_20140731_13_14_10_Raw__highres.jpg
    ray_ray likes this.
  2. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    With my people...

In Sturgis...

WP_20140731_15_54_11_Raw__highres.jpg

WP_20140731_16_01_01_Raw__highres.jpg

WP_20140731_16_01_35_Raw__highres.jpg

WP_20140731_16_58_45_Raw__highres.jpg
  3. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    With my people...

In Deadwood...

WP_20140731_18_10_52_Raw__highres.jpg

WP_20140731_19_19_15_Raw__highres.jpg

WP_20140731_19_20_40_Raw__highres.jpg

The only way to set up a Harley:thumbsup:

WP_20140731_18_10_03_Raw__highres.jpg
  4. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    That's an Evel style Harley! ...

Pretty cool vacation or what ever you want to call your trip ... That is the pre-Sturis event crowd gathering? (That lawyer sign looks a little out of place)

--
    (Just imagine that the country took a different turn ~100 yrs ago and we had built a railway system across our lands ... We can load a bike on a train for low cost and see our vast land from sea to shining sea on the cheap(?) side ... )
  5. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Pre Sturgis week but all the vendors trucks are here and a ton of riders. Some make it a vacation and many working the event. That lawyer sign was everywhere. Even on TV. Many police/troopers and a whole lot of drunk riders being stopped :eek:
  6. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Whats the story on the Harley guys parking on one side of the road and all other brands must be parked on the other side?

-
    You gotta work that $ angle from all angles :) .... I've had to use a lawyer a few times in my life and the last ~2 times were an absolute mockery of something on their side of the house ;( ... Education or legal system or bar exam or something was lacking judging from the ones I was forced into talking with.

--

I should add the small town I've from in AR had the red brick buildings also ... Even the school was a 3-story red-brick building ... I think they tore the school down brick-by-brick and moved it to a new location :) ...
  7. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cheyenne. Another great day in the saddle but on my MTB. A late arrival and 20 miles to Curt Gowdy State Park was what it took to hit some sweet trails they have there. All marked and graded ...

WP_20140801_16_56_06_Raw__highres.jpg

WP_20140801_17_02_56_Raw__highres.jpg

WP_20140801_17_29_23_Raw__highres.jpg

WP_20140801_17_57_03_Raw__highres.jpg
  8. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    The time my family and I spent in Deadwood a couple of summers back was some of the best memories that I'll always treasure. The last big trip before the twins went off to their respective boot camps. We had only planned 3 days 2 nights but quickly decided there was more time needed and added 2 more nights.

Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and other great places to visit. So much history and beauty to behold. Spent a day in Cheyenne on the way to Colorado. That whole area is on the list of escape from Komifornia destinations.
    Johnrg likes this.
  9. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Definitely awesome places to hit. Many tour Europe, England, etc... I am content to keep touring the west. Beautiful and the outdoors is free, except for occasional state park fees and passes. In Fruita now after stopping in Dillon/Frisco to get a 6 mile paddle in. A mob of tourists there and nobody. Here since it's just below 100. Early morning bike ride on the Kokopelli near the Colorado, then blast to Ridgway Resevoir to cool off and see if I can get a room in Ouray. Much cooler there and in the morning will ride the Husky over to Telluride and back. Durango for a day, Flagstaff and then home ;-)
  10. JPinNC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 KTM 300 XC-W
    Great pics, thanks for sharing. Since I can't do something like that right now, at least I can see pics of someone else's journey ...
    Johnrg likes this.
  11. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Stage 3 of my Adventure Tour of the USA from the Kokopelli Trails in Fruita, CO...

WP_20140803_07_15_13_Raw__highres.jpg

WP_20140803_07_20_19_Raw__highres.jpg

WP_20140803_07_26_04_Raw__highres.jpg

WP_20140803_07_39_40_Raw__highres.jpg
  12. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    A few more... Off to Ouray!

WP_20140803_07_50_22_Raw__highres.jpg

WP_20140803_08_07_09_Raw__highres.jpg

WP_20140803_08_18_20_Raw__highres.jpg
  13. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Beat the rain and summited Imogene Pass this morning. Flagstaff next stop.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  14. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Final day on my USA Adventure Tour '14. Last singletrack on this trip at Kelly's again, but rode some different trails adjacent to the interstate and airport for an hour or so. Good mix of rocks, mud, clay and a few berms before hitting the highway. Very worthwhile trip. My Aunt had a stroke a couple of years ago a day after speaking on the phone with her and as my last relative of her generation and mom's sister, needed to visit. As well I have 4 cousins+. So instead of flying, I decided to add in some riding along the way. Lastly, a 58th birthday to myself. Driven across the country a few times but fast. This time was able to savor a few places and take some time to enjoy what we have in our back yards.

:thumbsup: on the Husky TE310R with the updates I have made. No breakdowns, leaks, etc... I have been riding from sea level to over 13k feet of elevation and only issue I am having which I overcome with a more throttle is being rich at 6500-13,000ft. Running map 3 and I increase the idle 4 stops at elevation. Now a custom map would be nice and a switch to access or maybe PCV and autotune. Will have to inquire. New items recently installed that just worked well as installed: Zip Ty recirc kit, and front axle puller. Hyde plate good too and no lost fasteners. TM Design rollers and slider plus BRP guide. And these old school Metzeler Unicross tires have stood up well to everything and smooth to 60+ on the pavement/DOT.

kelly_lastday.jpg

kelly2.JPG
  15. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I can tell you put alot of planning into this one :) ...

Is this pic like some lush area that keeps things green yr round?
    [IMG]
    Even back in the days when I was a 10K runner, i had little leg strength to petal a bike on the hardtop so being out there would be a short one for me before heading back..
  16. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Planning is pretty cool today with all the maps, gps maps and sites for downloads, etc... Not like pulling out the worn old Atlas of road maps. Not sure if kids today appreciate that aspect.

That pic is in part of the Kokopelli Trail network, just west of Fruita. (http://www.gofruita.org/kokopelli.html). Just green because of the rain/monsoons or storms each afternoon. Otherwise it's high desert and Moab, Utah is next town west. Riding a mtb takes pacing and strategy on every obstacle but have to say... Riding a dirt bike is excellent cross training for riding a mtb. I could loft the front wheel and jump off ledges much better being only 20lbs or so ;-)