1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Carb replacement between Mikuni TMX and Keihin PWK

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by MattR, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Probably the blue needle and 7 slide. :thumbsup: Based on my 125 and several 250's i have ridden converted (Adam's is one) I think you will be very happy with it.
  2. dubbs Husqvarna
    A Class

I have the same carb on my 144 and picked up a JD jet kit for a KTM 144 but the jets seem too big for what's working on mine. What JD jets sizes are you using.

I put the 38 on when I did the 144 so I'm not sure how much improvement the carb alone did. Putting both on was awesome!
  3. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

The older KTM 144 came with a 39mm carb so if you have that jet kit the jets will be too large. That bike likes rich jetting anyway from what I have read and I have found my WR to like lean jetting.
  4. dubbs Husqvarna
    A Class

I can't remember what I have in there now but when I put the blue needle in I would flood it and take out the plug. That makes sence. Are you using jets for a JD kit and if so, what sizes?
  5. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have a JD needle for the old 250sx that used a 38mm carb. I don't know if the needles are actually different for different kits.

I am using a 36mm carb so I doubt my jetting specs would be of use. I am using the JD needle with the clip third from the top though.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    09 WR125, 38 PWK, 45 pilot, blue needle in the middle, 178 main (slightly rich, might go to 175). Runs great 50-2500 feel elevation (to rich at 4000-6000 in Moab). Your 144 might need slightly leaner. more displacement means bugger vacuum / draw and typically leaner jetting than smaller displacement.
  7. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I will be installing the PWK from Kelly soon on my 144 and will report back on jetting. I am quite a bit higher but I can at least give you some idea of what it takes at 4000' and adjust accordingly.

Walt
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    It's on the way Walt, thanks. :thumbsup:
  9. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Aside from general tuning and clean revving can you say there is now never a mid range bog ?
    And by that I mean a hesitation - sudden loss of fuel
  10. dubbs Husqvarna
    A Class

I have the 38 set up on my 144 and I don't get any bog. Like most 125s I try to keep the rev's up though. I set the carb up when I got it and forgot about it. Right now its a little rich at low speeds and a little lean up top. Not an issue but something I'm going to work on this summer.
  11. Kevin_TE250 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Which PWK ? the 36 or the 38 ? forgot to ask you :)
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I have no bog, just nice smooth power bottom to top. There is a hit but it is a 2 stroke.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    38 is what Walt got. Most will want the 38.
  14. BikeSDP Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None @ moment
    Other Motorcycles:
    990 Adv, Multistrada 1200, 500 EXC
    I was thinking of getting one of the PWK 38's for my 300. I need leaner jets though since I ride over 5000' minimum and very often up to 10000'. Is there an assortment of jets in the MotoSportz kit or is it jetted for locale?
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Assortment but you might need a few smaller mains for that elevation.
  16. BikeSDP Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None @ moment
    Other Motorcycles:
    990 Adv, Multistrada 1200, 500 EXC
    Thanks, Kelly. I know there are a lot of folks around my zip code with that same carb on the KTM 300, so I'm thinking that should be a good starting point. In fact, here's one:

JD Red #2 clip from the top
    155 main
    38 pilot
    1.25 (out) on the air screw
  17. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

BikeSDP,

On my WR 250 with the 38mm airstriker the perfect jetting for 4000' to 9000' was:

165 main
    45 pilot
    #7 slide
    CEL needle in the middle position

Your 300 should be very close to this. The JD kit red needle is pretty close the CEL Keihin needle. That bike ran very clean and solid from 4000 to 8000 and started to get a little rich but ran clean above 8000.

Kelly,

Got my JD kitted 38 Saturday, Great turn around, Thanks :thumbsup:

Myron and I went for a short ride on Sunday and it ran like a raped ape. Far better than it had. I did end up raising the blue needle a slot and might actually try going with the clip in the bottom slot as it seemed maybe a small tad lean in the mid still. It was really ripping on top and if I was a better rider would pull MT Everest in 5th gear. :lol: Actually scary fast. The new spring combo that I was testing was not a hit as it was opening way to fast and early. :eek: With the way it is running I am going to go back to my Yellow/Green combination.

Walt
  18. water racer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

http://www.knoxenduro.com Knoxville, Tennessee
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Beta 250RR
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Husqvarna WR125 1997 Fantic
    Do you sell the 36mm also?
    Are you seeing any fuel mileage difference with the PWK?
    GP
  19. dubbs Husqvarna
    A Class

I just checked to see what was in my 38. 50PJ, 170MJ and a DDJ needle on #3.
    This is for a 144 motor. I have the JD kit for a KTM 144 what I will try.
  20. crille74 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna cr 125 2014
    Sounds great, post som results:cheers: