COBDR or Terradise?

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by FabOneUp, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    This little trip must have Fab really snowed with work now that he's home again. You play, you pay! Looking forward to the next installment, with pics. I will share that we hammered the bikes over six passes in about 4.5 hours, including a long break at Animas Forks and getting chased down, I thought, by the local park ranger on a hot rod ATV. No, he couldn't keep up with the Terra, but he was really flying. Just as I passed him he started to get out of his rig andd I almost ran over his foot. I thought he was pulling over to allow a pass but he never heard me coming. No rear view mirrors! The same thing can happen with dirt bikes, eh Fab!
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Outstanding trip you guys had! :)
    FabOneUp likes this.
  3. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    It really was a great trip and I'm already counting down until next year and the UTBDR in the Fall
    FabOneUp, chickabee and Coffee like this.
  4. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    Should have just gone on to CO and got the free tour and free beers. They're so fresh, just like dad used to make. Yes, getting some Coors back in the 50's and 60's was a special thing.
  5. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    Ya, super busy here. Plus we got in the swing arm for the crashed Terra and I spent 4 hours yesterday on that bike. 8 months waiting for the part and we finally got it back on the road.

I am extremely surprised the Ranger didn't give you a ticket and it is pretty bizzar that the only real accident we had was not with a car or ATV, but with a fellow dirt biker. At least I got to to do some real life testing on my crash bars.:D

So here is Ken apologizing to the Ranger for almost removing his leg. This is the very next day that we left from Woods Lake. This pic is classic!

image.jpg

I have 140 pics of this day alone! So, to recap, on Saturday the 13th we packed up camp at Woods Lake. Before we could leave, Tony and his wife came over to see us off. We met them the night before when they strolled into our camp after we pulled in from the days ride. Tony is a beginner adventure rider. He has bought the bike (KLR) and all the gear, but is trying to find the final elements to do a trip like ours...a little bit of courage and a friend to do it with. The beauty of the BDR's is they give alternate easy routs for technical sections that end at the same destination at the end of the day. We assured Tony that he would be fine because of these alternate routs and I think he is on board. Who knows, maybe he will be in Utah with us next year. I regret not taking any pics of him and his lovely wife. I say lovely because she is worried about her husband taking such a trip, but she is still behind him 100%. I will see if he can send us something I can post later.

Breakfast and fuel were first on the agenda for the day. We decided we would rather take a beating than go back into Telluride. When we got to Hwy 145 we took a left and headed to Placerville and found the Antlers Inn. This was the best breakfast we had on the entire trip...and they served lattes! So we fueled up our bodies and our bikes and headed for the hills...big ones too! The organizers of the COBDR do not recommend any part of this section (section 2) if you are not an experienced rider and you should take the easy route. The easy route is nice and we took some of it heading out on the second day, but they you would miss all of this:

Looking down on the town of Ophir while climbing Ophir pass.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg image.jpg
  6. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Telluride seemed fine to me back in 1983, could you give us a hint why it is now so undesirable? People? Buildings? General atmosphere? :confused:
  7. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    There is a jeep down there!
    image.jpg

These things are the new craze. We saw them everywhere.
    image.jpg

Heading down the other side.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    VestalPeak, chickabee and Motosportz like this.
  8. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, yes it was!

My friend PM'd the same question and I will try the best I can to answer it and you helped with this a little Coffee.
    People were very concerned about what we were wearing do to fashion.
    Buildings are all modernized accept for a few.
    General atmosphere....not even close to what it was in 1983. Not even close to what it was 13 years ago. Ken and I kept saying the same thing, "this isn't at all what it use to be". The classic mountain town is gone. Roundabouts, arrogance, carelessness, and greed have all taken over....gawbamn shame. The baristas at the hip downtown coffee shop threw the worst cups of coffee at us that we have ever had. No one looks you in the eye and no one cares. We did not experience anything like it anywhere else...only here in Telluride. I am quite sure I will never be back. I have nothing in common with most of those people and proud to say I never will.

I am sure there are plenty of good people there but we only met one. The lady at the coffee caravan at the end of town got us a proper cup of coffee after we threw the others away.
    LandofMotards and chickabee like this.
  9. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    I remember growing up that there were only two types of beer drinkers, a Coors man (or woman) or Bud man (or woman). I wonder how many classifications there are now?
  10. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Soooo, Telluride contains people that think they are upscale and snooty (even though they cannot make a decent cup of coffee)? As opposed to nice, friendly, and laid back when I was there in 1983?

(the stories about Napa I could tell!)
    FabOneUp likes this.
  11. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Exactly!

Back to the good stuff! Over Red Mountain Pass and down to the Idarado mine. Here is a pic of where we will be going in a moment.
    image.jpg

And here we are!
    image.jpg image.jpg

The bridge or the water crossing? The water crossing wins every time!
    image.jpg
  12. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Your camera is really bringing out all the colors of the gravel \ rocks in this area.
    FabOneUp and chickabee like this.
  13. chickabee Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    always in front of me!
    Other Motorcycles:
    yamaha xt250
    photo (3).JPG
    Here is a picture Ken sent me of Fab on that day making that same water crossing!
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    You are costing me a lot of money. I HAVE to do this ride next year and am already scheming / planning how.
  15. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Fab I'm convinced I need to go to Telluride now, I'll show you how to have fun there lol
    chickabee, Coffee and FabOneUp like this.
  16. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks babe!
    Mission accomplished. You will NOT regret it Kelly and I truly hope you can make it happen. Let me know if I can help in any way.
    Ok, but the trip is going to seriously cut into your new Husky fund. Lol:D
    chickabee likes this.
  17. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Two passes down for the day and four more to go. Cork Screw, Hurricane, California, and Cinnamon. First pic is a reminder of what the rangers are running now days.
    image.jpg

This is the highest point of the trip. There are lots of options to go higher off the designated route and plans are already being made with friends to do just that. My favorite part of the whole trip is only about a 5 hour ride from the house! I am holding the bike up here because it will not stay on the stand. A random guy showed up and saw my situation and took the pic for me. Ken was parking his bike to come help me from rolling my bike a very long ways down, but I managed to get it down from here without incident. I was determined to get a picture here! It is a precarious spot, but its hard to tell in the photo.
    image.jpg

Cinnamon Pass
    image.jpg

Jeeps working a tough section. Gives you some perspective.
    image.jpg
  18. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Animas Forks ghost town.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Scutler, VestalPeak and chickabee like this.
  19. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Bare with me...I just love it up here!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  20. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra