1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc CR 125 compared to KTM 150 and YZ 125

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by mutley531, Mar 22, 2012.

1. mutley531 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None - CR 125 in my future?
    Other Motorcycles:
    2010 Yamaha YZ450F
    RacerJake: What all has been done to your YZ? The thing I like most about the YZ is the suspension. The closed chamber KYB forks on my YZ450 are excellent. I have no problem revalving suspension, but the better the components are to begin with the better I believe they are in the end. I have a friend with a KTM 350 SX and the forks definately could use work.

I have seen specs for the CR with KYB and Marzocchi forks for both '11 and '12 bikes. Does anyone know for sure what they came with? I'd be more willing to get a CR with KYB forks.

My brother's YZ had the Athena 144 kit. When he first put it together he used the entire kit, but recently rebuilt it using a stock YZ base gasket. Originally, it wouldn't rev out like a small bore bike should. Using a stock base gasket (thicker, I believe) made the bike rev out and not fall flat on top.
  2. motocrossmr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '15 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    '05 PW80, '12 KX 65
    Im pretty sure the new CR's in 2011 and 2012 came with the KYB closed chamber forks. My 2011 TXC has them and its not meant to be a moto only bike. That being said Im not promising you that they definitely come with them. Call one of the dealers sponsoring the sight and they can help you out for sure. Or Im sure someone here will chime in. Let us know what you decide. Unless of course you go with a YZ or SX!:D
  3. Nathan S Husqvarna
    C Class

I own both an '06 YZ125 and an '11 XC150 (not quite the CR you're asking about). I mostly use them off-road, rather than MX too. 6'0" & ~220lbs in riding gear, mid-pack Clubman speed, FWIW.

The YZ has a 9oz flywheel weight, +2 teeth on the rear sprocket, minor revalve of the fork (looking for a softer midstroke) and the fork and shock springs are from an '05 YZ250 (to suit my weight).
    The Husky is rejetted but otherwise 100% stock (we just did pilot and main & needle clip position - didn't delve into needles yet).

On an MX track, the YZ is a better bike, mostly just because the midrange is stronger and more progressive. The more traction available, the bigger the difference between it and the Husky.

Everywhere else, in every other way, the Husky is equal or better.

The Husky's bottom end power is definitely better, but the real value is that the engine will just not quit - we ran a fairly tough Eight Hour Pony Express a few months ago, that included a couple of tricky uphill rock sections. Every lap, the Husky would motor past at least a couple of stalled 4Ts. Late in the day when I was tired, I could just hold on about 20% throttle and it would just keep climbing regardless of anything else.

Top end power is similar between the two - the Husky might flatten off marginally earlier, but you never feel short-changed by it. The slightly wider ratio gearbox in the Husky also gives it a considerably better top speed (its something like 105kph vs 132kph on the dyno).

I greatly prefer the Husky's handling overall. Its WAY more stable, but still turns 99% as well. It also has an uncanny ability to keep moving over stuff at low speed. I mean, at the end of a long day when you're running out of energy, you can sit in the middle of the seat, hold the throttle on and it will just keep climbing.

Brakes are no contest - the YZ has good brakes, the Husky has great brakes.

-----------
    I bought the Husky to do the Australian Four Day Enduro later this year - I'm just a club level rider, but you want a reliable bike. Then I realised that I was going to put too many hours on it before the A4DE, so I needed another similar bike as my 'everyday' bike.
    I bought the YZ late last year, after I failed to find another Husky (they'd all been sold by the time I'd raised the cash for a second one). I love the YZ and its very easy to live with (parts are everywhere and priced well), but it's still only my second favourite bike... :thumbsup:
  4. yzaviator Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TXC 449
    I don't know if you are still looking but Alpine Powersports is a Husky dealer in Utah...they have both cr & wr 125's in stock if you want to go check them out. They are located in Lindon. 801-785-2233
  5. mutley531 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None - CR 125 in my future?
    Other Motorcycles:
    2010 Yamaha YZ450F
    I ended up going with a used '06 YZ 125. I did go look at a KTM sx 125 (no sx 150s around at the time), and looked at the CR 125 at Alpine Powersports in Lindon, UT. I decided it was hard to justify spending $6000 for a new bike when I could spend $2300 on a nice used bike with a fresh top end. My thoughts are to send to cylinder/head off to Pro Circuit for porting/head mods, and go through the suspension and freshen and valve it for myself. I appreciate all the feedback I've received. The Husky did look nice, and I'm sure it's a great bike, along with the KTM, but I am more familiar with Yamahas, and love their suspension.
  6. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I could go on for ever about how well the CR 125 now with a Walt Smith 165 kit is But is is easier to watch my video in the racing section.
    27 min. of a 165 doing its thing.Plus the sections where the 165 runs down both the 450 4 strokes in the open sections and 300 2 strokes in the ruffer sections.Should show you the Cr s the better choice Now if only I was younger Maybe Walt has a cure for age next
  7. racerjake549 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR125, TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    nighthawk 700s, 2x Piranha 190 pits.
    Did you ever buy a bike?
  8. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Yep he got a used yz........
  9. Pedec Husqvarna
    Pro Class

They are good bikes for younger riders that like to rev. Are 2010 yz125 has been great bike for my son.