1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Cr125's only, You Wr's beware!

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by HxcEnduRo, Jan 15, 2011.

1. pahusky Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 250XC '09 1200GSA KLR650
    Hi guys (and ladies)
    I have an 08 CR125 ignition on the way to me.
    I concur with the ignition, I have never been too sure the stock ignition didn't have an issue...no matter what, the plug has always smelled burnt...

I let you know how it works;
    TMXX, RM needle, FMF/TC2, Walt's springs,
    Non o-ring chain.

I had thought of lightening the flywheel,
    but no one would touch it. Really didn't
    think that was the answer...

Need some heads up on where/best way
    to mount CDI.

And should I get this tested before
    I install?

The bike is actually running good right
    now; for a 50 year olds trail ride.

Going for the crazy 16 year olds bike...
  2. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I think the flywheel might be a bit much also. It makes it take some time to spin up. But it has nothing to do with the bog as the WR has always had it. I am trying a CR ignition soon and if I like the lack of flywheel but do not like the agressive advance curve I am going to look into getting my WR flywheel lightened. I hope that is possible, I have heard of people doing it on KTMs with the 2k3 which I think is the same flywheel. If it is not possible I think Kelly has mentioned that he can get Trailtech flywheels that are lighter.
  3. pahusky Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    I talked to Kelly and Trailtech. Currently they don't have a service to Lighten the WR FW.

I didn't ask if they have a weight for the CR FW.
    Not sure about Steahly?

I would think the CR curve with a little FW weight and the right gearing might be the ticket...
  4. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

Has anyone priced out a new full cr ignition?
  5. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I think it is about $580.
  6. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    the full 08 ignition i had lined up was $150 inc flywheel cdi and coil - must be the one PA ktm is getting -
    I think lightening the flywheel would be easy to do but the ignition would still let it down a bit in the mid range
    if you like riding it like a trials bike then keep the wr set up - I find the power hit more fun
    If you want to go fast to me CR ignition is the way to go

On flat areas the CR is better - point to point - faster
    On a hill you will have the same results with either bike
    Youd have to ride the CR more agressively but you will still get to the same places
    I failed to ride up some hills on WR - I got up on a YZ 125 with a flywheel weight
    It will also depend on line selection ect
  7. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Paktm,

Under the seat where the regulator is mounted you will see an tab extension with a flipped up end. I use a zipty looping over this and then through the loops on the sides of the rubber retaining strap. I then zipty the wiring harness where it comes out the front of the cdi up around the regulator to keep that end in place. Ended up with a nice solid feel without being in contact with any metal. You should have plenty of length in the wiring harness to mount it here with no difficulty.
  8. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    on my 02' CR I ran the WR ignition and liked it a little better than the CR...But I also had the FBF Lammy Cyl, head and piston....that thing flew
  9. pahusky Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    The problem with lightening the flywheel is making sure it's balanced when you're done .

I would think the stator, flywheel, cdi & coil anywhere in the range of half a new one ($580) would be a good deal.

Thanks Wally I'll check things out...
  10. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
    Flywheel weight for CR ignition

FYI... I have a 7oz. flywheel weight on my CR125 and it works perfectly. Just heavy enough to minimize stalling, but light enough for quick revs when needed. It is a threaded-on style that replaces the main flywheel nut. The FW weight is the same as for GasGas bikes and you can get it from Hall's Cycles. If you go this route, you will also need a spacer made for the ignition cover for extra clearance. Jeff @ Hall's Cycle had a custom aluminum spacer made for me. :cheers:
  11. pahusky Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Mattr, The spacer...1/8'', 1/4'' ?

I see a pwk 38 on your cr...

Better than the TMX?
  12. surfer1100 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR250, Memories of past tiddlers.
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM-01 EN 125, 03 125 MX, 09 EN 155
    MAYDAY,
    Just an FYI for those thinking of switching from WR to CR.

You supposedly need the ignition control tool from Husky to set the timing.(apply CR timing marks)

I ordered the part 2.5 months ago, have yet to receive it, told its on backorder.

Have not ridden my bike since August in part because of this, I jumped the gun and disassembled the flywheel/stator.

Moral of the story, don't get ahead of yourself, I've missed three races and did not get to ride once on my Christmas Vacation(1 month off school).

*Disregard this post if your bike has CR timing marks.*
  13. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Thats good to know. I ordered this part about a month ago and I am still waiting. I had heard it was going to be about another week though. Worst case you should be able to go to your dealer to get this done.

I can post a pic of where my CR is stamped and you will be within a couple of degrees at the worst if you set yours to that point.
  14. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    My buddy had his XR400 flywheel safely lightened by 6oz's, but it weighed 76oz's (no joke) beforehand. Not sure if the WR's have that much material that can be safely removed, but I'm sure there is some excess weight.

Mark,
    RB has a lathe and skills. Call him and inquire.
    And I'll swap ignitions with you after I get the CR and am able put some time on it.

MattR,
    do you have a Steahly weight on yours? If so, can you get a part number from it? Steahly is semi-local to me and I'd prefer to order direct. Oh, and sometimes you can run 2 gaskets to get the clearance you need for the FWW instead of having a spacer made. I'm frugal :cheers:

I dont have much input to this topic, except the 04' CR125 I rode was a little mid/top rocket while the 09' WR144 I rode was a little chugger that eventually got to rocket status. For off road, I'd certainly rather have the WR power delivery.

Since we're talking WR & CR's....
    besides the ignition, are there any other differences between these 2 motors? If I buy a CR125 and install a WR ignition have I effectively built a WR125 motor?
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I have owned both WR125 and CR125's the CR's always hit harder, run better and have more power. It's the CR ignition. the Wr is smoother, climbs hills better, is much more forgiving in panic hills and loose stuff. It is a trade off. For off road technical stuff the WR, even though it feels a lot less powerful is better. There are a few hills that gave me fits on the CR as it would explode and i would be all over the hill (similar to my YZ250 -v- Wr250 experience) where on the Wr i would motor right up without drama.

Mark (NWRider) experienced this a few years ago when we traded off between my 04 CR125 and his 08 WR125. My CR was explosive and FAST in comparison but much harder to ride in the slick crap we were riding.

so for Ajax and others in the open the CR is for sure better, but if you ride slick off road technical stuff the WR is MUCH EZer to ride.
  16. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Brandon – I have Wallys CR ignition in my garage right now. So I will get a chance to try it out soon. The only CR I have ridden was Kellys. It did not have much on the bottom and then the mid came on real hard. But it had the TMX and my WR did not have a bottom end with that carb either. At least with the CR it would get to the power instantly, on the WR with the TMX I had to clutch like crazy. With the 36mm PWK it would chug though. So I am thinking that with the extra low end of the 144 plus the PWK just maybe the bottom end will be filled in enough that the CR ignition will work. I’ll find out soon. I have a new MB5 mounted up and I plan to point the bike at every hill I can find to give the ignition a good test. If you want to try a WR ignition let me know and you can borrow mine while it is off. You can also try my FMF pipe any time I am not riding (it’s a little beat already though). If it happens to turn out that you like a WR ignition and I like a CR we could do a trade if you want.
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I think that is not going to be a good tire on the 125. I used to run those back in the day on my 610 and thought they were the shit. My new to me WR360 just came with a new one. I rode two rides and took it off. Hated it. Handles like crap and my Motoz get WAY more traction everywhere. Just letting you know. plus thats a heavy tire and to much knob for the 125 IMHO. Next time try a Motoz Terrapactor, fantastic tire for the 125/144.

The M5B is a good big bike DS tire.
  18. pahusky Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Steahly just got back to me...

I ask what they made for the 08 CR and they responded they have a 6, 8 & 10 oz. I think you need to make the spacer or maybe double up some gaskets.
  19. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    buwahahahahaaaaaaa!

bring it. seriously. stock bike for stock bike. bone stock. gearing, pipe, carb- STOCK. ill drag anyone's stock 125. bring yer lunch money. some of yer dad's too.

(dr. evil laugh...muwahahahaha)

Attached Files:

20. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    I'm kinda with ya on that one, as well. My 09 Wr 125 runs like a bat outta hell!