1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Does autoclutch turn wr300 into cheater bike?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by firecrotch, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Kevin_TE250 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Tim is right, I never used the clutch with the big bore kit on my 125.... No need just shift down if needed
  2. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

Get an e-start, or have a friend start it in an emergency, or get off the bike and use your other leg to start it in an emergency.
  3. water racer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

http://www.knoxenduro.com Knoxville, Tennessee
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Beta 250RR
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Husqvarna WR125 1997 Fantic
    Never have to restart with an auto clutch because it is not going to stall.
    GP
    454x likes this.
  4. mac75 Husqvarna
    AA Class

My problem is the clutch feel not takes all four finger to pull in and is "twice as hard " as it was before ... Called rekluse and they said it had to have springs this stiff to help with the torque the motor produces..
  5. mac75 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Did you run the orange clutch springs? I just cant believe its this stiff... And the fact it will not slip.. I amd going to put the heavy springs in next.. Do you know what set up you had the best luck with?
  6. Kevin_TE250 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Don't quite know the color springs. I know it's set up for the lowest stall / engagement
  7. Bill502 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR167 1978 CR250 1938 sw maus
    Other Motorcycles:
    1970 Triumph T100C 1973 Honda TL125
    What bike do you have?
  8. mac75 Husqvarna
    AA Class

wr 250
  9. Kevin_TE250 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I would go with the Rekluse Pro, you will have the easy clutch engagment...
  10. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

it can still stall in a crash or if your jetting isn't perfect, or if you stop to splint up your broken leg, etc....
  11. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    +1 If your on the gas and u get all crossed up and hit the rear brake while the clutch is engaged the bike will stall.
  12. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    Theres e starts available for wr300's?
  13. Enmerdeur Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have some experience with auto clutches. Here are my thoughts

The first auto clutch I had was a Z-Start on my KTM 380. It was just OK. Hated the way the clutch lever felt with it. Sold it and got a Z-Start Pro for the 380. This worked very well and it turned my 380 into an unstopable trail eater.

Sold the 380 but kept the auto clutch. Was going to install it in my new KTM 300XC. Never did. Found that the with the e-start (yes, mine actually worked!) on the 300 I didn't really need the auto clutch. You see the main reason I had the auto clutch in the 380 is I hated being hung up in a precarious position on a hill, stalled, and having to perform gymnastic maneuvers to get the bike started without tumbling down the hill side. As I am sure many of you know this is both frustrating and exhausting.

So I sold the Z-Start Pro.

So along comes my KTM 505. I find a used Z-Start Pro for it and decide to try it out. Not good. Sold the that one. Found a EXP 2.0 for it. Just OK. It does give the best clutch lever feel of any of them. You see I am of the opinion when you have a bike with so much torque and power as the 505, YOU have to be in control of the clutch. I now have the EXP 2.0 out of the 505 and may just keep it for single track season, if I decide to continue on with one bike.

Which brings us back to the present where I am contemplating purchasing a WR 300 for a dedicated single track bike and reserving the 505 as my desert mount.

I rode a local riders 09 WR 300 today and am very impressed with the bike. Power is good, although seems a little weak off the bottom compared to my past KTM 300's. That could be misleading though since I hopped off my 505 on to the 300. The 505 yanks hard from the first crack of the throttle so I could be confusing this. Loved the roominess of the WR. Didn't feel as cramped as the KTM's and standing was much more comfortable. Handling was very planted and precise.

The big minus though is the kick start only. You see after 3 years or so of e-start I have turned into a big sissy when it comes to starting the bike. As we drove home though the memories of the 380 with the auto clutch came back to mind and how you only had start a few times a day due to the fact that you weren't stalling it. And that starting is on your terms, flat ground at the trail head or after you have taken a break, etc.

So a new WR 300 may still be in the cards. Their current pricing makes the addition of an auto clutch not so daunting.
    Fat Tire Flyer likes this.
  14. incorrigible Husqvarna
    B Class

I run a z start pro on a 250f. It is a more efficient clutch actuation than what a rider can do and is less tiring. It also makes it easier running a gear high on rough ground and helps you get through tight stuff better.

Tip: You still have to be in a correct gear. So if 2nd or 3rd are the right choices, don't run 4th just cause the clutch will let you. You'll burn it out and it won't perform well anyways.

You pretty much will never stall which is great.
    Steve-oh likes this.
  15. giantjoe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300
    I took my first ride yesterday with my z-start pro. It was only my second ride on the bike. The answer is most definitely yes. It was such an easy bike to ride. I was worried about being able to get the front tire up for low speed logs, but it wasn't an issue at all. Just lean back a bit pull up and gas it, no problems at all. It was super fun.
  16. Steve-oh Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    04RM250, 05XR100,07PW80,41 Harley
    Riding in December : ) .. gotta like it.
    Thanks for the review giantjoe, I have yet to try mine out.