1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Dwight was Right! Wr-125-144 Suspension

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by CelticDude, Apr 6, 2012.

1. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Thank you :cheers:. I'm gonna give that a try with the rear and re-measure. When you say "my preload should be about 8mm" where do I take that measurement from the lock ring to the top where the threads stop? Thanks.
  2. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    I didnt mean any offence Dwight its just that I tried a harder spring (5.8) and hated it, just never seemed to settle in turns very well and was real scetchy on chop exiting them as well even to the extent that in a fast 6th gear flatish corner it stepped out (more like let go) and planted me in a big and painfull heap lol and at my age thats not very funny
    Will add that the spring did seem well harder than a 5.8
    Antoines and Juhas bike were tested over here and some specs listed, one of them is fitted with a different linkage but cant find the artical to see what one is was ! if I can find it I will post it up as it was very interesting reading
    Keep up the good work :thumbsup:
  3. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
    For the 2008 CR/WR125 with Rear Travel = 320mm:
    I will target 35mm static sag (11%), 109mm rider sag (34%).

Thanks!
    Vinduro likes this.
  4. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

So Matt what do you weigh and what springs are you gonna try?
  5. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

If you put on a "HARDER" spring then make sure you have backed off your preload and reset your rider sag. Also you should also have to increase your rebound on the shock about 1 click per .2kg of spring change. (Approx). Back way off on your compression. Especially your high speed. I am all the way off or nearly so on my high speed. Back off your low speed till you are bottoming softly then go back in a click or so.
  6. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

No, I mean free spring length verses compressed spring length. Back off preload till the spring flops then measure fee length. Then recheck spring length when you get your static sag and rider sag set. When your sags are correct, you will have 8mm or less on the preload.
  7. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Got it, thanks. I was sure thinking I needed to go much heavier than the stock springs in the front as well as the rear.
  8. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
    I weigh about 170lbs without gear. I won't be able to check sags until i get back next week from our family trip. I'm guessing that I will need to go down one size in front and up one size in rear.
  9. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Ok thanks.
  10. CelticDude Historically Fast!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    x
    Just got back home from riding the Sawmill National Enduro. Not saying it was tough but I lost five pounds today! Anyway the new springs worked awesome and my bike is most excellent! :D
    Vinduro likes this.
  11. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Sawmill National Enduro ??? The National Enduro was in Tennessee this weekend ?
  12. CelticDude Historically Fast!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    x
    OK. It's the Sawmill (National Format) Enduro! :cheers:

Attached Files:

13. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
    Dwight,

I need guidance on my next springs. My bike is a 2008 CR125 with stock springs. My weight is 173 lbs with street clothes and 185-191 lbs with riding gear and tool pouch.

I measured my sags and here is what I got:
    Front (4.2 stock, 300mm travel):
    Static = 44mm 34mm
    Rider = 56mm 55mm

Rear (5.0 stock, 320mm travel):
    Static = 33mm 26mm
    Rider = 114mm 108mm

I had my helper measure a bunch of times and noticed Rider sag could vary quit a bit depending upon sitting position. I took the best averages. What spring rates should I try next?
  14. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

.40kg fork springs. Maybe .38 but try the .40kg to start. I would decrease your current rear rider sag to 108 or 109mm and remeasure front sag.
    On rear you are looking for 108-109mm with 35mm static. I would try 5.4 or 5.6kg to start. You are not as far off as I was.
    I always measure my sags sitting on bike in the "Saddle" of the seat with my feet bearly tipping the ground just behind the pegs. Be sure to bleed forks before measuring. Sit in same spot every time so you can compare measures and changes. Sit in a slightly attack position. Not extreme but slightly bent elbows.
  15. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
    Dwight,
    I adjusted my rear rider sag to ~108mm. I also used your suggestions to get more consistent measurements. It definitely helped and I had less variation this time. I edited my post above with the new results. What do you think about these results in regards to recommended spring rates?

I appreciate your help.
    Thanks,
    Matt
  16. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

rear 5.4 or 5.6. If in doubt go to the heavier. Don't ride with shock springs till you get the correct sag numbers. Most shops will exchange if you don't ride with them.
    Front. Still thinking you may want .38. If in doubt go with the .40. I use .40 and I weigh 185lbs . I get 40mm static and a perfect 75mm rider.
  17. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
    Thanks for the quick reply. I will start with the 5.6 rear and 0.40 front.
  18. CelticDude Historically Fast!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    x
    Hey Dwight, what did you end up for your front and rear rebound and compression clicker setings?
  19. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Not sure. I believe about +1 from stock on rebound front forks. Adjusted fork compression till bottoming out lightly then in 2 clicks.
    Rear I am in 5 clicks from stock on rebound and high speed is in 1 from full out and low speed is in 3 clicks. Start compression from full out. In one click on rebound from stock for every increase of .2kg on rear shock. I am up from 5.0 to a 6.0 so I am in 5 clicks. Maybe 6 since oil change.
  20. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
    Hi Dwight,

Last night, I mounted up my new springs that I got from Hall's. The fronts are 0.40 kg (new) and rear is 5.4 kg (lightly used). After checking my sag settings, the front did not change too much which I found strange. There is a lot of stiction up front so perhaps this is the reason. The rear appears close to the your targets.

Here are my new sag settings (with full tank of gas + riding gear):
    Front (0.40 kg, 300mm travel):
    Static = 39mm (13%)
    Rider = 58mm (19%)

Rear (5.4 kg, 320mm travel):
    Static = 39mm (12%)
    Rider = 109mm (34%)

Do you think I need 0.38kg on front or would a shorter preload spacer be acceptable?
    Will the front rate decrease during some usage and perhaps fall into acceptable range?
    What do you think about the rear?

P.S., the rear shock is a pain to get out. I had to remove the back half of my bike (subframe, airbox, and silencer) to gain access. Is this typical?
    Do you have any tricks for getting the rear shock out in an easier fashion?

Thanks,
    Matt

EDIT (5/24/2012): I re-checked sag settings tonight with full tank of gas and re-centered front axle and torqued lower triple clamp to 15 ft-lbs.