EJK

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Biff Malibu, Jul 1, 2014.

1. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    The difference is the advance FI system in the Magnetti/Marrelli ECU. I wish I had the knowledge to fiddle with Hex Codes...and the equipment. Someday I guess someone will tackle it.
  2. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    As much as I don't like the idea of disconnecting the o2 sensor, I think the EJK provides a more focused approach to the stalling issue, and it's more adjustable. For instance, I'm planning on testing the TR650 at slightly leaner than stock levels at higher RPMs (-.5), and see how it goes.
  3. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    I'm biased against the Afixied.

If they were to make it so it would revert to normal or disengage after 3,500 rpm or so, they might be on to something.

I tried talking to them about this, to no avail.
    Quirky and PaulC like this.
  4. spiderman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    07 KLR650 07 Bandit1250 85 Rokon
    Agreed. I would be very happy to go this route. That's really all we need IMHO.
  5. Baddrapp Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Any updates?
  6. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    As far as I'm concerned, I've inquired the European agent, and he told me that the unit is still held by the Dutch customs. I think it's going to take at least 15 days to show up here.
  7. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Strada / 2008 SMR510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki GS500, Yamaha TR125L
    Ugh. That's annoying. I hope it arrives sooner. You'll be amazed at the results.
  8. spiderman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    07 KLR650 07 Bandit1250 85 Rokon
    Mag00 - have you installed your Lexx yet? Did you have any trouble finding one with the right connectors? Part number?
  9. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '01 CR/WR 250, '13 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    V8Astro - got any pics of your EJK installed?
  10. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    No, I have been lazy and it is hot here. I ordered up some plug converters, one worked, the other didn't. I'll have to make something that works, or chop wires, don't really want to chop wires.
  11. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
  12. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hopefully you mean chop wires on the LEXX and not the bike. At least that way if things don't work out you won't have a hacked-up harness.
  13. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '01 CR/WR 250, '13 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    Thanks V8. I forgot that other thread. For some reason I thought you had mounted it on the bars, must have been someone's "pop-up" post.
  14. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    Well, yesterday the package with the EJK showed up, and today I was able to install it and ride for quite a bit. Before installing it I've removed the Accelerator Module (an IAT spoofer), and performed a TPS reset as described in other thread, including the idling until the fan switches on part. I've ridden the bike for 10 km after the reset (without the EJK), and while the stuttering tendency was increased, at the same time I found the behavior at higher rpms more enjoyable. If anything, this confirms that the mixture is too lean in the "green zone", while it's just about right in the red one.

Installing the EJK is really a breeze, and I'm not going to post pictures since V8Astro already provided plenty of them. The only difference with his installation is that the lambda sensor is still there, just disconnected, and I wrapped the cables around the fuel pump assembly so that there is room for both the EJK and the toolbox over the battery. Once installed I've immediately increased the green setting to 5.5, as suggested by V8Astro, and the green/blue point to 1 as well, and left everything else stock. I rode for a few kilometers to work, and the bike, right of the bat, runs great. The idle is almost as smooth as a twin engine, and the increase in responsiveness and torque to the slightest turn of the accelerator is really noticeable. In the 3000RPM to 5000RPM range is smooth as a baby's butt, but over the range the engine kinda fell flat, instead of giving the usual kick. Fortunately enough today I got to ride around quite a lot so I had to chance to fine tune the settings a bit, remembering the ones V8Astro was using. I've lowered the red zone to the lowest possible amount, and also slightly adjusted the yellow zone. In the end I've go a setting very similar to V8Astro's: 5.5-3-0.5-1-3-3.

Now I really like the way the bike behaves, and it's much more predictable to drive, although I think that I will increase the green zone to 6 or 6.5 to improve the engine braking. The one, huge improvement is heating. I commute in Rome, and I spend much of my time waiting at the traffic lights. Before the EJK, even with the accelerator module, the fan was a constant on/off, today, with a temperature of around 34-35 Celsius, and plenty of idle time, the fan has never started, and the temperature indicator never went beyond one bar over the midpoint.

All in all I think that the EJK is not only useful, but mandatory if you wish to prolong your and your engine's life. The lambda spoof may work as well, but the EJK is more adjustable, and as far as I understand it, is also useful when the engine is cold.

The only drawback is that the lambda sensor is disconnected, while still attached to the manifold. I would still like to still heat it while disconnected. Does anyone knows where I can get the labda connectors (both male and female) so that I can create a patch cable?
    V8Astro likes this.
  15. nwrider1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Too many to list
    I just installed a Wiseco fuel controller -- it's just a rebadged Dobeck like the EJK and FMF ones. On the box it says that you can install an O2 sensor for closed-loop operation as an additional option. Nothing is mentioned in the written instruction pack regarding an O2 sensor. For the time being, I'm leaving my O2 sensor connected.
  16. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 WR250, '92 360, '80 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650
    If you guys wouldn't mind, the EJK model # that works on our bikes is listed, can we get the part numbers for other makes people are using? Along with any other necessary changes? Plug adapters, etc.

Since they all work the same, it might make it easier to find the cheapest/most hassle free/best customer service/available solution. Thanks.
    Scutler likes this.
  17. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    The Lexx is $168, but the ends are wrong, and finding the adapters is difficult. Still procrastinating on hooking it up. Still in the 100's

I would love for someone to pull a plug after about 500 miles and post a pic.
  18. Baddrapp Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    EJK lists a discount for anyone on a forum. They have an online form under discounts at the bottom of their homepage.
    mag00 likes this.
  19. nwrider1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Too many to list
    The Wiseco is #FMC038 --- it's a plug n play for the TR650 although it's listed for the 2001-2004 F650 BMW, as has been previously posted. I don't think that Wiseco is selling them any longer though. I bought mine via Amazon from Lion Parts -- their catalog #105715 for $183.97 including shipping.
    mag00 likes this.
  20. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 WR250, '92 360, '80 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650
    Well, I was looking around for this and came across a seller on ebay. We'll see if all plays out as it should, but $166.46 shipped for the wiseco unit, with 10+ available. At that price for the plug in version, I went ahead and ordered one, so I'll do a 6k mile test on this and can report back one month from today.

I was hesitant getting one of these before my trip with all the altitude and temperature changes, but we'll see how it does. But it should work quite well for the normal commute and weekend rides though where I stick between about 500-1500 ft above sea level.