Enduro 360 tests the TE511

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Norman Foley, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
  2. boisedave Husqvarna
    AA Class

I saw that. Interesting. I appreciate his comments and appreciate his willingness to try and get the bugs sorted out. Weird his experience is so different from most of the others though.
  3. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    And yet Graffunder can make it competitive. Well, he (the reviewer) is not the only one not sold on the bike.
  4. pat ohara Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    yes , 2 WR's
    Other Motorcycles:
    Old Style Husaberg,
    The only thing i derived from the test is that it's not painted Orange. So there it is.
    Motosportz likes this.
  5. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    This is all an aside note, I was on that Tecate tech ride as well. Truth is I would not have wanted to ride the 511 or any big 4 stroke on that ride (was happy not be on my TXC450 anymore). The mid size 2 stroke or mid size 4T was probably the better choice.
    Near the end I tagged along with Chilly's little group after I got seperated from my crew. He was snaking that beast through the terrain at a safe but solid pace and that ride really tested all who finished. For a DS machine that is not as competition ready as some other brands I would say the thing does well all things considered........(it was a tough course in quite a few sections). I would also listen to what Chilly has to offer up, he is an accomplished rider and does mega miles per years. Does the 449/511 have a C/B shaft? ( my savior on the 08 TXC was gettin' the shaft!!). After riding more than a few late model Katos and some Japanese MX and offroad models my TXC felt like a vibromatic chair. Any way I only have a couple of short rides on the new series big bores and they are definitely not on my menu. So this commentary is somewhat irrelevant to the topic. (my opinions are mine). PS The Gray thunder is a freak of nature in his ability to ride the crap out of that beast, good on him.
  6. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The problem is from what I see everyone has a different idea what a Dual Sport Bike is

To me my 2006 KTM 640 Adventure with a stock 7 gallon tank and a big soft seat was a dual sport.I use to ride that bike everywhere and many places I should have not taken a bike like that.It worked good for what it was both on or off road
    But for some reason I wanted a more off road bike so I sold the 640 and got a 2006 TE 510 That bike is a dirt bike with a plate and is terrible on the street But the only street i do is to find a gas station.Now the problem is I do not do much dual sport riding so my 2 strokes get ridden the most.
    If i were to do a long Baja or Dual sport ride again the 640 would be the bike.If I were to do a short off road ride with some street then the 510 would be the bike

So what is a dual sport bike? different people do different things with them

But to compare a Husky with a suzuki DRZ now that just hurts
    ray_ray and robertaccio like this.
  7. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    That's an understatement ... after reading a cable was blocking his view, I stopped reading it ... Sounds more like a witch hunt to me ....

More dribble from the article:" I regularly rack up a couple of thousand miles a year riding knobbies on the pavement." lol ...Chump change numbers ... I did close to that much on my 08 TXC250 in a single ride last year.. Mr. chill .... You statement qualifies you for a back seat ride on my Husky, but nothing else ...

True ... The DS term is very ambiguous ...
    WHITEROCKET5.9 likes this.
  8. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

WOW, What a rip job. I thought Chilly White was better than this.
  9. Gotlabs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR144 X 2!
    So it is a "real" dual sport. More at home on the dirt than on the pavement.
  10. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

As the owner of a TE449, I can say that it is an excellent "dual sport" ride. It would not be my first choice to ride at a National Enduro. Going on an all day adventure with some buds is what this bike is designed for. It is amazing on fuel so the tank size really isnt an issue and the chassis is stable at speed. Most dual sport guys ride more wide open 2 track from my experience. The bike will handle the tight stuff fine, but it is physically a large motorcycle and take a bit more energy to muscle around than my Berg TE250 does naturally.

I have sold 20+ TE449/511 last year and every single owner is 100% satisfied with their bike.
    McKay and robertaccio like this.
  11. Chilly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Entertaining reading. I knew I would get hammered over here on this one. But for me, I just can see how sugar coating a topic would ultimately benefit anyone. Let me say a couple of things.

First - I have put tons of miles on this bike. I have an ear pretty close to what goes on in the media. I can guarantee that I have ridden more miles on this model an anyone else who has tested one. I have probably ridden more miles than all other magazines combined. The 511 I have came to me with less that 100 miles on it. It had already been tested by a major news outlet. Basically, no one else out there really has any interest in giving this model a full shake down.

Second - I have to hold it up to the same criteria that I do with everything else. I went out riding yesterday again on the 511. I really spent the entire time riding and thinking about the parts of the bike I am critical about. I understand that if I am going to be candid, it has to include admitting my own faults. But I really stand by everything I have talked about in this review, it is exactly how I see this bike.

I challenge everyone to read this review with an objective eye. I see plenty off comments here, but I don't see one person taking me to task on a specific issue about the TE. Is not one person here concerned by what they see going on inside the forks? I am completely open to a constructive challenge, we all benefit by such discussions.

Finally, Cory is an amazing rider, no doubt about and good for him. I wouldn't take anything from him.
    robertaccio likes this.
  12. hammer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for your honest opinion. As much as I like my Huskies ( I just sold 2 and still have 3) the new 449/511 seemed like a turd right from the beginning to me. If people on this forum don't want to believe it's just a warmed over BMW so be it.
  13. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Chilly, I haven't ridden nor worked on this bike so I can't take you to task about a specific issue. BUT, You made sure that everyone knows you disliked the bike quite strongly and that the public should run the other way. Are you blaming Husky for the faults in the Kayaba fork ? I would have also respung the bike correctly and set the sags before jumping into a revalve. Too stiff or soft a spring will make a huge difference in handling. I think you probably liked the bike better than it came across in your article but the public isn't going to read between the lines.
  14. Chilly Husqvarna
    AA Class

I am absolutely serious about asking for someone who provide me with a constructive challenge to my review. I will even put my money where my mouth is, so to say. Here is the proposition;

If someone wants to write a well thought out rebuttal to review of the TE511, I will print it on my site as a featured article. But it has to be well written.
    • It has to be from an owner of this model, or someone who can demonstrate that they have enough time to understand all the issues
    • No dealers or industry people
    • It has to address every major point of my original review and either rebut or agree. If you cannot rebut, you must agree.
    • Obviously, no rants. Write it in a way that will encourage people to read it
    • You may include your own photos
    I may ask you to revise the way it is written or formatted, but I will not edit the content.
    Anyone can contact me directly, Chilly (@) Enduro360.com
    john01 and robertaccio like this.
  15. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Face it, truth is its an "unconventional" bike. With some unconventional characteristics, for one ex. throw the pretty much moto standard "pro-squat" out the window. And Ajax is completley correct one mans/womans DS is way different from another. Trust me most folks even here in the Cafe would not have even made it to the lunch stop on that Tecate ride Chilly wrote about. So is that DS or hard enduro?? For me its DS??maybe?,,why?? only because my TE310 is a DS bike??? Does DS mean dirt roads and long distances or super ugly trails that only plated bikes can legally access. I think that DS in this day and age is more about access only.
    I ride with folks from our local DS club on occaision they have fotos and articles about tough DS rides that for my crew are not even disscussion worthy but for them it's like Erzberg. So keep it all in perspective as far as rider write up. Forks? sounds like a supplier issue (KYB?), with the ultimate responsibility being the HVA. Bike specific issues, some will be pure opinion, most will be written based on comparison and experience. Dont get butt hurt by another guys opinion, discuss it. My tuppence. R
  16. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I just read the report after reading the responses here and....I have never ridden the new big TE's but it sure sounds like it needs some work. I do think he went beyond anyone I can recall when testing a bike to try and come to terms with it and did as he said make some progress. Lets face it we don't like the same pick-up trucks so it doesn't surprise me that someone doen't get along with a paticular bike; just my .02.
  17. tnttimber Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hey Chilly,

Can you determine where the 511 went so wrong when you liked the tc449 so much? Ive been looking at purchasing one of these bikes after reading your review of the 449 and watching Grafunder ripping on one at the Pacacho Creek HS. It seems to me that if the 449 is as good as you say it is then the 511 should be able to be made to work ok, guess Im just confused that you seem to be on oposite sides of the spectrum when it comes to the two? Thanks for the review.
  18. Croc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511
    I have no opinion on the 511 as a DS. I ride mine in the bush & love it. Several of my mates ride Pumpkins & Pussabergs & they all have ridden my bike & like it. Maybe we get better bikes in OZ. Zero issues here.
    robertaccio and Motosportz like this.
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Interesting. Almost every real customer who bought the bike and posts on these forums states how smooth and nice the motor is. I have yet to see one bad report from any customer. I have seen endless "wow, i love this bike" and " this is the DS bike I was looking for" Not sure what the disconnect is but I guess us simple trail riders and DS guys who actually bought the bike seems to love it, my self included. I got one of the first TE511 around and have 2500 miles on it. Had a 08 TXC450 before it. (well lots of bike before and after and while it) Anyway, my experiences is 180 from chillies and I still LOVE the bike. I go through bikes almost as fast as Kreig but hold onto this one. EVERYONE who rides it, and thats been a lot of people, love it. One friend had a KTM 530 and another a KTM 450 and both rode it and proclaimed it the best DS bike they had ridden and if were not such Orange heads would buy one in a heart beat.

I'll not fault Chilly for his opinion of the bike but find it FAR from my experiences and after riding a TON of bike for a lot of miles as well.

1. Mine is smooth and I NEVER even think about vibration.
    2. Mine has GOBS of power but did need a muffer and EFI tuner to unleash it. Not out of the ordinary for a corked up DS bike and something Chilly should know about given all the posts here and I also send him a huge Email with this info when he asked for it in his site. (no response whatsoever)
    3. Acted like changing the CS sprocket was to hard after seeing a vid. Not hard, takes a little extra time, so what.
    4. Tons of compression braking? Something is up with your bike if it has no power, vibrates like crazy and has TONS of compression breaking. Sounds NOTHING like mine. In fact the EFI is programmed to run on slightly and eliminate most the compression braking. Maybe they redid that after 2011? EVERYONE who ride mine comments on this right way "wow, i like the lack of compression braking, makes it so much EZer when chopping the throttle for corners, like a 2 stroke".
    5. My 511 is near impossible to stall especially for a good rider. Again, something is not right with his and maybe he should try a JD tuner so it is not so lean. They still run lean with the race map as proved on JD's dyno and sniffer.
    6. I like how it turns. No issues there and I ride a 125 a lot.
    7. Can't get the front end off the ground WFT? Really. Something is severely wrong with yours, take it back. Mine flat rips the front end off the ground all day long and in about any gear. Absolutely NO issues there. WOW. Stunned at this comment. This bike is a wheelie monster in my average hands.
    8. "
    The CTS philosophy is flawed in that it ignores the many different ways a rider uses the throttle and rear brake to provide input to the chassis."

I could not disagree more. I feel no disadvantage and love the crazy traction this bike gets and the amazing stability the CTS brings.
    9. Stock suspension is slightly soft for sure. But i found the stock suspension very usable. also find almost EVERY bike needs revalved and resprung for it to be right.
    10. "
    Here I have finally hit on a couple of things that are praise worthy" Really? The bike is really that bad? Seems like a witch hunt when i read silly things like the switch gear and lights being the best think about this bike and the only positives. this is all very confusing.
    11. No as good as a 06 KTM and like a DR400. Well Ok then. Nothing more to read here.
    SAM511, ray_ray, krieg and 1 other person like this.
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Nope, all of us here have the same feeling. :thumbsup: The mags and reviewers hate it and the customers love it. A very polarizing bike for sure. when I read over and over it is a BMW bastard and KTM this and KTM that i think the writing is on the wall. Wonder how this bike had reviewed had it been all new and KTM? It would be on the cover of all the mags and touted as the next best thing. I have two KTM friends that ride nothing but KTM and rode my 511 and agreed it feels lighter, works better and they loved it. Still buy KTM's. It's all good and i don;t want to come across as slamming Chilly, it's his opinion, but like the mags always seems like the same old song. KTM rules and everything else is crap. Wonder how he would like the new Betas? Very nice bikes but real soft power stock and super wimpy suspension stock.

In the end and IMHO KTM's always get the best reviews and praise even if they were covered in after market stuff when tested and lots of time spend sorting them out and husky ALWAYS gets the red headed stepchild review regardless and crap reviews even stating wrong obvious things like 5 speeds when there are 6 etc. (see it in mags all the time). Jodie from Jodies box slammed my decked out husky WR250 at the DR 24hr one year and touting the CRF450 for everything even after saying he had not sampled a husky in over 5 years. He could tell you how to fix the leaky CRF air box with the 7 aftermarket fixes sitting on his desk. Whatever. We just need to enjoy our bikes and use each other for real world information here at CH. :thumbsup:

top of the podium.

[IMG]
    SAM511, john01, krieg and 1 other person like this.