Enduro 360 tests the TE511

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Norman Foley, Apr 6, 2012.

1. pat ohara Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    yes , 2 WR's
    Other Motorcycles:
    Old Style Husaberg,
    Motocross Action Mag gave a test to the 125 & 144cc combo Husky,it's positive. Anyway Bully for you Motosportz,:applause: i sure like my Husqvarna's, always have. We have an advantage; we like em. Hard lesson in life but are people who don't always agree i suppose, but on the other hand the obvious is it's own conclusion. [ polite ]
  2. bigjon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1996 WXC410 2000 TE410 2008 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FJR 1300 Polaris 500
    Love it...Oh Yeah!
  3. Croc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511
    I agree with everything you say here %100. Its my opinion that, I don't think this Fellow actually has been riding a 511 for so long Or a 511 at all.
    Same here in Oz, sounds like to me the advertising dollars are speaking to me.
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I know he has been riding it and is being honest just not want most of us owners are experiencing for some reason. The media hates the bike and us customers love it. Weird.

The TC must be vastly different as he seemed to really like the TC449...

http://www.enduro360.com/2011/11/11/products-tested/2012-husqvarna-tc449-first-review/

"So there you have it. This is my favorite bike in the ’12 Husqvarna line up. It makes me want to go ride. I wish it were sitting in my garage so I could go ride right now and no one is more surprised about that fact than me."

"It is rare to find one bike that instantly hits every one of my buttons. But that was the case when I climbed onto the TC449. Within half a lap, all objectivity had gone out the window and I was lost in the joy of the ride."

"The motor has a great visceral feel. It has loads of torque and a muscle bike feel."

"Power delivery is smooth. It will only spin the rear wheel when asked to do so, then it will drift the rear smoothly through the turn."

"The 48mm Kayaba closed-chamber fork feels like it was dialed in just for me. Spring rates and valving are perfect for fast-paced offroad work. It shows the best of what a closed-chamber fork should be. It is supple in initial action, keeping the wheel planted in turns. Then on the bigger hits it has a good progressive feel and resists bottoming."

"With the CTS system, the Husky does not have this natural force, so perhaps this is the ideal application of the progressive spring."

"After riding this bike, I honestly cannot tell you how any single one of these features works individually. Why, because I find it nearly impossible to sense any one item while riding. This bike consistently feels like a complete package, not a collection of pieces. Everything is working together and quite well at that."

So if you uncorked the DS bike, removed the street stuff and stiffened the suspension would it be a TC449 in performance. From these two reviews you would think they are totally different manufactures and models. the TE is a DS bike so needs all that stuff.
  5. tnttimber Husqvarna
    AA Class

You guys need to give Chilly a break. He raved about the tc449 earlier this year so I don't buy the "he's in the bag for ktm" bit. I just don't understand why the 449 could be so good and the 511 be so bad, did he get a lemon?
  6. Slowpoke Husqvarna
    AA Class

I guess they don't want to believe it's a warmed over BMW because it simply isn't- in other words they have no reason to believe otherwise. Other than about 80% of the motor, The 449/511s share very little with the G450X abortion(which WAS a total turd). Even the CTS is different on the Huskies.

As soon as I read Chilly's complaints about the vibration issue, I had to wonder what is wrong with the particular bike he rode, as these bikes have little if any vibration issues- the most common compliment I've heard is how smooth they are. I've ridden a couple of them and marveled at how smooth they are. Now the older 510's on the other hand,......those things could mix paint with the best of em. I wouldn't be surprised if Chillys bike had a wheel badly out of balance or something........
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I'm not trying to be hard on anyone, just my experiences and those of almost 100% or the customer posts I have seen are opposite his feelings. I appreciate his taking the time and strength to post that scathing review here i am just really confused but a lot of his comments especially not being able to get the front tire off the ground Huh? i can't keep mine on the ground.
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yep, i have ridden several as well, super smooth. all 4 I have ridden (1 TE511, 1 TXC511, 1 TE449, 1 TXC449) were very smooth and powerful. My 08 TXC450 was a real nice bike but made about the same power, feels much heavier and vibrated WAY more.

Been there, rode those...

[IMG]

Can't get the front end up? Odd i can't keep it down...

[IMG]
    ray_ray likes this.
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  10. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Man it sure sounds like something may be up with his test bike. Maybe he should take a spin on another TE511.
  11. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Maybe but with lines like:
    "First of all the damn thing vibrates. The first two hundred miles were the most miserable I have ever had on a motorcycle." ...

He should take up his true passion of sensational fiction writing ..
  12. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I haven't ridden the new Huskys but my 09 TXC 510 vibed when new and calmed down after a few hundred miles. I wouldn't have described them as miserable and I sure haven't read anywhere else that the new ones vib bad but is it possible he got a bad one? I sure as heck don't know.
  13. Chilly Husqvarna
    AA Class

That is an excellent point bring up regarding the TC. So let me address that in two parts.

First - The TC is simply a different motorcycle. It is a little deceiving because the two look so similar to each other. But when you start looking at the specs, they are different, more importantly, they ride very differently. Think of it this way; If we were talking about any other brand of motorcycle, no one would assume to compare the motocross model to the dual sport model. To illustrate this further, I recall having a conversation with one of the team riders last season. He told me that one of the difficulties he was having, was that his practice bike was a TC and it was very different from the the TXC race bike. So he would ride the TC all week, then have to get on the TCX that felt like a totally different motorcycle. He had asked to switch to the TC as the race bike, but was not able to do so. Now consider how much further a TE is from a TC model, there is no reason to assume similarities between the two.

Second - The TC review was written as "First Ride" at the companies model introduction. It is a one day ride in a completely controlled atmosphere. There is only a very limited amount of testing that can come from that experience. Not only that, but as there were 12 different bikes available to be ridden, it was almost impossible to get much time one any one bike. Of all the bikes at that event, the TC449 was by far the most fun to ride on the track. It worked very well on that track for that one day.

Interestingly, I approached Husky about putting together a TC based bike for me to race test, but they declined. I have been thinking about the TC quite a bit as I have been testing. The TC449 might also work very well at other tracks and off road situations, but I have not been able to ride it to get more evaluation.As near as I can tell, there is not a single stand alone test on the 2012 model anywhere in the US.

Regarding the vibration issue. The last words as I left HVNA were , "you are going to find it vibrates a bit, don't worry it will get better with time". As my test bike was on it's second trip to out to a magazine, it had already been tested and serviced at least once. So I have to assume it is indicative of the model. I have been over the entire bike more than once to make sure everything it tight and in order.

As I said before, I am almost certain that every other magazine review that has been published in the US is based upon a one day ride of the TE model. Certainly no more than two days of riding. I suggest using a more critical eye when considering those reviews. For those of you who have actually read my ENTIRE review, you certainly must see that I have put a tremendous amount of time into this.

I realize that not everyone here knows my riding and industry background. I don't claim to be the greatest racer ever. In fact I am a guy who has had to work very hard at it. I never raced a motorcycle until I was 33 years old. In the time since then I have earned 4 ISDE medals, 2 National Hare and Hound class championships and a bunch of District 37 championships. I spent one year trying to win a National Enduro title, but got beat by Mike Sigety in the Vet A class. Mike a great guy and super talented rider. My point is that I have been around the block just a little when it comes to riding and racing motorcycles. I average about 10,000 miles per year beating my way around the back country of Baja.

I see plenty of reactions here, but my mail box is still empty. My offer to print an opposing review by an owner of a TE511 still stands.

Chilly White
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    thanks for the response.

See CN links above.

My review from Feb 2011

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/my-te511-review.16932/

133 mile update...

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/te511-rides-2-dualsport-and-3-single-track.17065/

First oil change, farkles and info...

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/te511-first-oil-change-tire-change-and-some-protection-bling.17412/

At the 375 mile mark, no issues laying the smack down to a Berg 390 and KTM 350 in the tight stuff...

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/te511-at-the-375-mile-mark.17637/

320 mile Ds weekend...

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/blackdog-ds-and-312-miles-on-the-te511-for-the-weekend.18653/

TE449 and TE511 on tighter trails (super fun day)

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/449-511-test-day-pix.18072/

TE511 -v- Beta 520...

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/11/11...2012-Husqvarna-TE511-vs-2012-Beta-520-RS.aspx

So a few of us have some experiences with this bike also. While I do not have the race wins you do I am a very competent rider, have lots of bike, ride a ton of different bikes and have been riding non stop for 30 plus years.
  15. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Looks like you might just published, Mr Motosportz :) ... Remember to ask for a pay raise or window office before you help this guy out by providing him with a week off because you did his work for him this week ...

16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    No ill feelings toward Chilly at all nor looking to poke anyone in the eye just counter pointing my feelings so people don't read this and think the bike is crap which MANY of us feel it is not.
    robertaccio likes this.
  17. Slowpoke Husqvarna
    AA Class

I suggest working something out with Kelly, as he's posted a fair bit on the 511 over the past year.........
  18. tnttimber Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks a lot for the clarification on the tc model. Do you remember if the tc had any vibration issues? I would love to read a full evaluation from you on the tc449 and the txc310. You have given ktm some great reviews and even though i personaly hate ktm, I've found your reviews very informative and honest.
  19. scotty Husqvarna
    A Class

My 511 smr vibrated very badly, it was down to the original exhaust touching the frame. It is not obvious until you take the exhaust off. The vibrations were so bad that I would have had to sell it if we hadn't found a cure.

Scotty
  20. WHITEROCKET5.9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

i beleive him on his report of his bike. no reason to lie about it especially for a guy that is on here and knows what kind of flack hes goin to get. hell maybe the bike is a pos, it happens.