Finding What I Was Searching For In The Desert...

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by WoodsChick, Sep 13, 2010.

1. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    It was time again for another foray into the desert. Our efforts got cut short on our trip in May when Eric broke his shoulder. We hadn't found any wild horses, we hadn't found the plane crash site, we hadn't found our way down into the Sheldon National Wildlife Refuge...we just felt as though we had some unfinished business there.

This time we found everything we were searching for...and a few things we hadn't even thought to look for in the first place :) We both managed to make it home without any broken bones. I did, however, manage to sustain a small (but very painful) injury when I had a massive head-on collision with 5 bottles of wine, a hot springs, a fellow rider from ADV, the Milky Way on a stunning moonless night, and one very hot candle :busted:

We should have known it would be an interesting trip when we had to drive around this plane in the middle of the road...

[IMG]

By the way, the guy talking to the pilot? That's Kurt. This is the only time I ever saw him when he actually had clothes on. He and Margot (also perennially naked) were from Bavaria and had bought a truck/camper and were spending the fall traveling around the west. They were delightful.

The trip began as most usually do, with a little decompression ritual at sunset. We didn't know it at the time, but 2 of the 4 items pictured below would play a big role in our trip...wine and bug spray.

[IMG]

The stars were breathtakiing that night. The Milky Way spanned from horizon to horizon. No pesky clouds to obscure our view, nor moon to take away from the brilliance. I was kicking myself in the butt for forgetting my ultra-cool travel telescope.

The next day we suited up and headed into the mountains to escape the mid-90's heat. Hey, what's up here?

[IMG]

A lot of steepy rockness, that's what...

[IMG]

There were some cool looking rocks at the top, though. I dig the face...

[IMG]

Who says there's no water in the desert? There's a ton of it coming from these springs in the hillside...

[IMG]

Still green...

[IMG]

WoodsChick
  2. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com
    As always, I love your ride reports Desertchick! You guys always seem to find some super cool places, and have some good stories to tell. Keep it up. :thumbsup:
  3. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    That was an awesome report. Thanks for sharing.

What is that area called?
  4. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks, Colo Moto! I feel pretty fortunate to live and ride in the west, that's for sure :)

:lol: Thanks, but the report is just beginning ;) This was right along the NV/Or border, mostly in the Pueblo Mts.

WoodsChick
  5. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    We goofed around in the hills...

[IMG]

And went to see what we could find...

[IMG]

[IMG]

Hey, WoodsChick's coming to visit!

[IMG]

[IMG]

Hey, I still get SKF bearings down at the Bearing House...

[IMG]

I have a great collection of old bottles, most from the Bay Area, but I left this one for others to enjoy...

[IMG]

There was water dripping in the sink...

[IMG]

The teddy bear was sad sight. These kinds of places always smell of crushed dreams...

[IMG]

Let's get outta here...

[IMG]

Can you see Eric at the bottom of the hill?

[IMG]

More to come...

WoodsChick
  6. Flying Trash Can Sustaining Member

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1100R
    Your ride reports have something I find most admirable. They make me want to get on my bike and ride.

Thanks.
  7. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Wow...that is probably the nicest thing anyone has ever said about my ride reports! Seriously! Best compliment ever :applause:

You just made my night :)

WoodsChick
  8. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    those little trickles of ground water are super cool, as is the SKF, and all those core drill cores. very nice trip and fotos.
  9. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    We climbed down off the hillside...

[IMG]

We had a little conversation at a spot where the track split. I wanted to go higher, Eric wanted to go straight towards the top of the saddle, the scene of his broken shoulder a few months before. I knew we'd find what we were searching for if he would only listen, but I had no facts to back it up. No prior knowledge, no GPS waypoints, no "X marks the spot" maps, just clues put together from wandering around the mountains, looking at a few close-up photos and a little bit of binocular time. Well, that and a hunch. We went the way I wanted to go and this is what we found...

[IMG]

A B-24 Liberator crashed here in February of 1945, killing all 11 men on board. I was almost giddy with joy to have found it, but once I started walking around and seeing the devastation that was still there, it quickly turned into a somber experience...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

There was just stuff everywhere...surprising after 65 years...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

We were there for about 2 hours. We hiked up the hill and sat in the shade of the rocks and had our lunch of prosciutto, mozzarella, crackers, nectarines, dried mango and iced mint water. We were both reluctant to leave. What a peaceful place, so beautiful and quiet...and vast. Next time I'll bring a fresh flag with me...

[IMG]

More to come...

WoodsChick
  10. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    GGEC 250 Honda RC51 CBR 1000rr CR125
    Absolutely Incredible

its not every day you see 14 cyl twin row Pratt/whitney "twin wasps" just lying around :eek:

if that sand could talk...wonder what it would say ???

another epic ride Woodschick :thumbsup:
  11. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yeah, the crash site was the highlight of the trip...at least it was up until that point :) I just counted the photos I took up there...42 photos:eek: The motors were extremely cool, and we examined everything up close, marveling at the damage and wondering what kinds of forces must have been present to wreak such havoc.

I'm glad that stuff is still there for people to enjoy. I hope it stays that way.

WoodsChick
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Cool stuff :thumbsup: the plane is very interesting. Thanks. :cheers:
  13. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    After 65yrs..the cases are still very shiny in most area's

I noticed the spark plugs and the nuts on the bottom of the barrels are gone(been removed) like someone tried to take them...but thought otherwise...or couldnt wrestle them off :excuseme:

I also notice a lower piston ring..and teflon button ??
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    they look sheared off to me.
  15. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    most are sheared off but some are intact and the nuts are gone....:excuseme:
  16. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    After looking at every inch of the crash site and having lunch, we headed off the plateau and tried to find a way over to the tracks we'd ridden last time when we were out here. We were trying to find a way to get to Fields without touching pavement and/or backtracking...

[IMG]

[IMG]

Well, this route isn't going to work...

[IMG]

Hey, let's head for those trees over there on that ridge and see what happens...

[IMG]

This stuff was kind of soft and I buried my rear wheel up to the axle making the last climb up to those trees. We found a route that looked promising but it ended here...:eek:

[IMG]

Back through the trees and on to Plan B...

[IMG]

This track ended at a rock wall a few miles up the canyon but it was fun while it lasted...

[IMG]

It was about 90 degrees out and we'd just been bushwacking our way up the canyon long after any semblance of track had disappeared. I'd spotted this spring on the way up the canyon and when Eric saw it on the way back out we both had the same idea...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

We headed back down the the valley for a nice relaxing evening of stargazing and soaking...

[IMG]

More to come...

WoodsChick
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    this post would be better if the pix were slightly narrower.
  18. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yeah, we found that kind of curious, too. We took a ton of photos there, I'll post more of them if you guys are interested :)

WoodsChick
  19. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sorry...they got downloaded to PhotoBucket that way, I have no idea why, and I'm not real sure how to make them smaller now. My screen is 20" wide, though, so I can see them just fine :p

WoodsChick
  20. Daniel508s Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TC510
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Suzuki RMz450, 2013 KTM250sx
    Please post more. Awesome photo's! I remember you posting pictures of this place last May, but that trip didnt end as well.
    How did Eric's should heal?