Foresthill Goodness On Trail 6

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by WoodsChick, Nov 16, 2010.

1. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Thanks, Daniel :)

Maybe you need to meet us out there in the spring :thumbsup:

WoodsChick
  2. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Usually when we go for Thanksgiving it's just the big bikes doing big mile days. Since we both have new singletrackers we wanted to take them along, too. We camp south of HWY 50 out near Austin or Middlegate and just pick a direction, any direction :) A friend of ours lives in Fallon and he's ribbon'd out some singletrack out there but I'd probably never be able to find it again without his help. Don't know what the snow conditions are going to be like, either. The ranges between the valleys usually have some snow when we go, but don't know how bad this year will be. It's looking like cold and sunny days, though :thumbsup:

WoodsChick
  3. flipsidenv Husqvarna
    C Class

Cool!!! Hope you have some great rides! By Thanksgiving the valley floors should be snow free but with the temperatures expected this week I'm sure the ranges aren't going to loose much of the snow this last storm put down. :thumbsup:
  4. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    The NOAA's website allows you to get forecasts for specific GPS coordinates. Looks like my preferred campsite has a low of -3 degrees for Wednesday night :eek:

Hmm...the north coast of CA is looking pretty good right now :lol:

WoodsChick
  5. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Sounds like hot springs weather to me. :)
  6. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yeah, burst waterline weather, too!

ColdAlreadyChick
  7. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Big Sur - San Simon? Looks a bit warmer?

Please don't yell at me for taking your thread off topic. :p
  8. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

Hey, it's all riding, right? Sounds on-topic to me :thumbsup:

I spent a few Thanksgivings in a row up at the Lost Coast. There's awlays rain to deal with, but at least it isn't frozen. I don't know...the other participants in this ride are thinking maybe a regular dirt ride somewhere...we'll just have to see how it goes...

WoodsChick
  9. Daniel508s Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TC510
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Suzuki RMz450, 2013 KTM250sx
    Sounds great! :)
  10. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    Thanksgiving at/in the Lost Coast sounds like a slice of Heaven! Jealous I am.
  11. JimO Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TE 450, '08 TE 510, '10 TXC 450
    Great ride Woodschick, Nick and I and other friends did trail 6 some time ago, we want to go back now that I've got Nick riding more...

Nice photos
  12. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    late to the game but... awesome ride report! pics are fantastic.

i was just reading this same thread on ADV, over there you mention Eric riding the 144 and being surprised by the power. in my never ending search for someone to decide for me...

how does Eric compare the 250 to the 144 now that you've had them both a while?

does he feel the 144 is much weaker than the 250 anywhere?

did he have to swap carbs on the 250 to get it dialed in? any other mods to dial in?

i know there are tons of great comments on the 144 here but every once and a while i'll read a post that makes the 144 motor sound a little too small.

appreciate any feedback. thnx.
  13. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks, typeone!

Eric would say the 144 is weak in comparison. I would agree. It's a 144, that's to be expected. But it's not your typical 144. It is very surprising for a tiddler. Very user-friendly. Still a busy machine and clutch skills are rewarded handsomely, but not near as essential as, say, a typical 125 2-stroke.

Well, yes. It's weaker everywhere. It also feels much lighter, much narrower and much more nimble. It handles almost telepathically, very little input is needed to make it do what you want it to do. The 144 is the best handling dirtbike I've ever ridden...and I've been riding for 25 years. Ride it all day without wearing yourself out. The 250 will kick your butt if you're not paying attention.

Well...he hasn't switched carbs yet. He's gotten the Mikuni very close to what he wants, but we shall see. He does not want to go switching carbs and all that crap. He bought a new bike so he wouldn't have to do a bunch of stuff in order to ride. He wants it to be exactly like his GasGas 300 and/or 250 but it is never going to be that. He's pretty happy with it, though.

Well, it's really hard to compare the 144 with a 250...they're totally different animals. The motor is small, but that's the beauty of the bike for those that want a small motor. It is hugely fun to ride, not so serious. Just playful, joyful...fun. That's really the best way to describe it. Yeah, I sometimes wish I had a bigger motor, and if the 250/300 get the upgrading like the 125/144 did I will probably be the first one in line for a 250/300. But that 144 is staying put in my garage :thumbsup:

WoodsChick
    typeone likes this.
  14. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Well put Woodschick. :thumbsup: I will also be eagerly awaiting the next generation of 250/300. Does Eric's 250 have the old TMX or the new TMXX like used to be on your 144? If he has the old one the JD pwk that you got from Kelly will bolt right up and be instantly better. Try 168 main 42 pilot and a CEL needle in the 3rd slot. If you want to use the JD needles work with the red needle. In this application I had much better results with the standard Keihin needles.

OBTW, I stopped by our local KTM dealer. The old owner was a friend of mine and due to health had to sell. So I stopped in to greet the new folks. In the conversation it was brought up that in '12 the whole line up will be FI. They are producing very few of the enduro versions this year to create some hunger for the new FI(maybe DI) 2 strokes. Also to give dealers a chance to get rid of their stock too. Might be just a rumour but Husky needs to hit a homerun with the new 250/300 or they will be falling farther behind in the development curve for the bigger bore 2T's
  15. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    Exactly the feedback I was looking for, thanks WoodsChick!! [IMG]
  16. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hi, Walt! Eric is running his stock Mikuni and it looks exactly like the one that came on my WR. I was running a PWK from the GasGas on my WR til you sent me your carb, so no JD kit for the PWK. He's pretty happy with the jetting on the Mikuni, and he's talking to RB Designs about the carb mod right now. We'll see how it all shakes out!

Interesting stuff about the KTM's. I was in a huge BMW/Triumph/KTM shop on Saturday (hint: I was not looking at KTM's or BMW's [IMG]) and KTM only had 9 bikes on the floor, all of them 4-stroke dirtbikes except for one 200. No 2-strokes, no adventurey bikes, no SMs, just the 4-strokes. I thought that was kind of odd.
  17. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Every time I have gone into a KTM place and that's all they have, they tell me that they have gotten and sold all of their allotment. I don't believe that though, because when I wanted an EXC300 and the dealer told me that they couldn't get anymore and sold me a 250 instead, they magically got a 300 the very next month.[IMG]