1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Fork Oil Level on 45mm Zokes?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by 2whlrcr, Mar 14, 2010.

1. gem Husqvarna
    A Class

2. letitsnow Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600F4
    I switched from 75mm to 100mm and didn't really notice much difference... :excuseme:
  3. 2whlrcr Husqvarna
    A Class

I had a chance to race my bike today. All last year I ran my WR250 stock. Worked pretty good, but it would blow through the stroke occasionally. I had my compressions set about 3/4 stiff.

So over the winter I put in 45nm springs and changed nothing else. Raced last weekend, tight enduro conditions and the front end was way too stiff, even with full soft compression. This week, I took out one stiff spring and changed to 5wt fork oil at 110mm. Much better, but still a little stiff and I had my compressions full soft. I weight 185lbs and am a slow A racer.

I think for next week, I'm gonna go down to 2.5wt oil and maybe a little lower oil level. 130mm? We'll see. Good thing is, I'm not blowing through the stroke, just a little harsh on the trail garbage.
  4. 2stroked Husqvarna
    A Class

Did you just back the comp all the way out or did you ride it first at a base setting. I have found that if you run comp all the way out the fork will feel harsher because you are going through the travel causing it to feel harsh because now you are compressing the air in the fork at the bottom of the travel, I think I'm out 8 clicks, 100mm oil, 5w and .44 springs, it feels firm but doesn't deflect off of small stuff and still works at high speed. Mind you I like my bike to feel firm and ride higher in the travel, I don't like when a bike feels mushy and wallowy
  5. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

Might not be the case at all in this instance, but I have found that stiffer springs usually require an extra click or 2 of rebound for me, or else the springs start springing back sooner (before i'm fully over the bump) and making it feel harsher.
  6. 2whlrcr Husqvarna
    A Class

I had my rebound set almost full light too, because my forks seem to be fairly sluggish, even the 5wt. I've checked the alignment and it's good. I'm going to 2.5 weight next.
  7. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    You'll have to ride mine with the supension done.

But you can't get it dirty!

No,

Big difference and I kick myself for not getting it done sooner.
  8. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

looked like you were doing pretty good with that hole shot!
  9. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    Make sure your rear preload is set first.

Now, what is your front spring preload? Take a measurement with front wheel off of ground. Then go put all your gear on and put your feet on the pegs and lean little forward like you are in your racing position. See what the difference is of your fork sag? I am going to use an oring on my 125.
    I think it should be 25-40mm or 2.5 - 4CM (Don't hold be to it?)

2.5 and under is too stiff spring.

4 + is too soft spring.

Harshness can come from too high oil level.

Harshness can come from too high oil viscosity.

Typpyt
  10. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    2Whlr,

I went home last night and started trying to figure out where to dial in the suspension on the 125. I called Marzocchi and waiting for a call back. I am trying to find out what spring/preload spacer that I will need. It looks like the preload can be adjust in 5mm increments on the 50mm forks.
    My stock rear spring was a 5.2 and I threw on my 5.4 from the 250. I set the rear sag then checked the front. My sag is 6CM in the front and I need a heavier spring. I think the stock one is 42 and waiting to see what they recommend (44 or 46)? The Marzocchi parts list only shows a 45 and 48.

After I get this all done then i can start messing with oil levels and viscosities.
  11. 2whlrcr Husqvarna
    A Class

How much do you weigh? I'm 185lb and am going to end up using a 42/45 combo.
  12. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    I am @ 190lbs with street clothes and about 210 with gear on and camelback full. The fronts are .46 and the rear is 5.6 My problem is that no matter what I did ,the back would bottom out on fast sharp stuff and my front was making me ricochet on logs, rocks, roots and etc... The oil is 7.5 weight and oil height is 120mm.
    It is very close to the Race Tech set up on my RMZ250 that I liked out of any done with the Showa's. Feels stiff when sitting on, won't bottom out but is plush when riding.
    I have just a bit of head shake. I think I will drop my tubes one more line, maybe take sag from 100-105mm.
  13. 2whlrcr Husqvarna
    A Class

I have my tubes raised up to the bottom line on the top of forks. I think three lines?
  14. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    That is where mine was before sending the suspension off. Maybe I should try that again. Good Point!

My two cents:

I think you should try 46 front/5.6 rear with your gear on. I think the rear 5.4 bottoms you out if you are 190lbs. Your front has to be bottoming out with the .44's.

Here is what I was going to do to get them to work better if I didn't get them revalved:

1. .46 front spring

2. 5.6 rear

3. 7.5 weight oil

4. Lower the compression clickers for new springs by 3-5 clicks. Slow the rebound 3-5 clicks. Starting point.

5. Start with stock oil level and ride the bike like your racing. I would take 5mm of oil height out in increments till they felt good. More air should make it softer.

Typpyt
  15. 2whlrcr Husqvarna
    A Class

My rear shock works fine.

I've already tried 45's and they are too stiff. So the last race I ran one 45/42 and that is step in the right direction for me. Fork action is still too slow and I have 5wt in. I'm dropping to 2.5wt. I know a lot of guys who run 2.5 in there WP forks and like it.

I won't know until next weekend, when I get a chance to race it again.