1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Fuel economy WR125 / 150

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Vinduro, Oct 17, 2010.

1. gsxr1000user Husqvarna
    AA Class

How can we get it better without too much side effect

This little bike likes fuel and that is a problem for a woods rider as they have taken all the pumps out of the sticks in my area. Add a 2.9 gallon tank and carry a gallon in a back pack(as I have done) and we still struggle to get 60 miles; that's crap range. So leaning out the pilot has helped all my other bikes and the needle on the crisp side makes a big difference also. Some of my bikes did not need pilot changes, just needle(08 ktm 300)and did 65+ on the same riding and NEVER hit reserve with stock 3gal. tank. I have tried shaving the head on this WR to make it burn more of the mixture going in so as to maybe need less throttle opening(trying to make it more efficient)but it still slurps even with a 35 pilot and the RM needle. Any ideas short of going 30 pilot(which I think would be ok in moderate weather) I would like to get 90 miles out of 3 gallons like my 250's and 300's and kdx200 and more.
  2. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I seriously doubt you can get 30mpg out of any 2 stroke short of a 50cc. And I would doubt that of a high performance 50cc under race conditions. BUT you need to check your float level as you must be spilling fuel on the trail. You are talking about 15mpg out of your 125. That is a bit much. 18-20 mpg would be believeable. I would think that is very doable. I got about 20-25mpg out of my 4 strokes. ALL of my 4 strokes, 200cc-510cc. My XR600 got about 20mpg
    Dwight
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    With my IMS 3 G tank i can go about 64 hard trail miles. Conversely on similar trails i got 42 MPG out of a 2010 FE390 berg. Amazing.
  4. gsxr1000user Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have checked the float level and it was pretty much level with the carb body when it just is touching the pin on the needle. I am shure that some fuel is coming out of the over flow tubes; maybe a catch tank with a sump pump is needed! I am not talking race pace riding, but good paced single track and I have had at least three 250 and larger 2 strokes that would go upward of 100 miles on a 3 gallon tank when riding more fire road/double track and a little single mixed in. No you can't flog it you need to ride like you need to conserve fuel. I have ridden with other guys on the same 08 ktm 300's same gearing, same jetting and watched as they go on reserve on a ride that I never touch it. Slower guys at that. I seem to usually be able to get better range out of anything I ride than most others as I tend to be easy on the throttle when not needed. I guess I will have to find my own answer to the Big Gulp wr125.
  5. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

That is what I get in the same conditions with some transfer sections thrown in.

All tight woods would be like 15 mpg but that is super bar bangin tight all day.
  6. TheSandman Husqvarna
    B Class

I run the stock carb with a 450 Main, the power up kit needle, an 80 starter, and a 32.5 pilot, at 1 1/2 turns. I ride tight slimy woods and get about the same as Motosportz. I have the stock tank, 1.9 gallons and can consistently get 50 miles out of a tank. I am a momentum rider though and not very often at full throttle.
  7. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I am also a momentum rider using a lot of bottom/mid and I get 25 or so pretty consistantly with the 144. The 167 on the other hand regularly in the same situations and fat assed rider gets 30-35 mpg. I ride it with at least a CS tooth more in the same situations and it does it all with less throttle. Now if you are in wide open stuff and in a hurry the 167 will drink it like the 144, albeit at more speed.
  8. gsxr1000user Husqvarna
    AA Class

So I am not expecting too much but I have known/thought the 144 kit would HELP with range if not guttin it. I just have to make myself buy it as I need it for gearing help also.