1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

Fuel Injection?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Picklito, May 17, 2013.

1. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    I lived out there in the 80s so I know how Kalifornia works. Its a complete and total scam. Even more ridiculous is the fact that the ONLY dirt bikes that have any kind of emissions regulations are the ones that will be used on lands that require a Green/Red sticker. If your bike is closed course only, it is no more effected by emissions regulations than is a NASCAR or Indy car at Fontana speedway.
  2. pentonpro Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    home
    Other Motorcycles:
    72 Suzuki gt 750 lemans
    The point I tried to make is that why not embrace the technology? Its out there and it benefits the riders.
    This is not new technology, just new to motorcycles.
  3. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

EFI is far from reliable compared to a carb. Never needs rejetting ? No, But frequently you must remap it. Then you have to have a laptop computer to do so. A Lectron doesn't need rejetting once fine tuned. Even a good Keihin rarely needs rejetting. The sucky TMXx is a major pain.
    huskybear and Xcuvator like this.
  4. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Big difference in the EFI on a car or truck verses that on a motorcycle. Especially a dirtbike. There are top tuners now working on project to replace EFI on current 4 stroke dirtbikes with Lectron carbs or other type carbs.
  5. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

That is a load of crap. Like the Global Warming scam. Dirt bikes are not ridden full time like a car or truck. In the scheme of things dirtbikes don't have any impact that can be measured. There are not even enough motorcycles on the highway to have any impact on the environment.
  6. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The negatives are complexity, Weight, less reliable and expense.
    Phoenix, Kevin_TE250 and Xcuvator like this.
  7. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    That's not true. With the proper setup, it's far superior and far more flexible than a carb, under every circumstance. The problem with the EFI on late model bikes is that the manufacturers are using 1970's EFI technology, probably to cut costs.
    The custom EFI setup on my car is far more accurate than a carb could ever be, extremely reliable, and does not require any tuning once the base maps are setup (no more time than properly jetting a carb). I haven't touched it in the 2 years I've been using it, and it cost only a little bit more than a Lectron.
    I'm a carb guy from way back, but I'm also a professional mechanic and know that no carb can match modern EFI for drivability, economy, or reliability.
    organ donor and pentonpro like this.
  8. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Unless the fuel pump doesnt come on and I have to tow the TE 450 efi 10 klms with my wr 144. Like I did on my last ride :lol:
  9. 7point62 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 Kawasaki TR250
    This, although I'm sure that the Mikuni EFI setup on the 07-09s probably put a lot of folks off injection for life and gave carb purists the opportunity to say "I told you so". An unfortunate consequense of picking the wrong hardware (doubtless because of cost) and making a dog's breakfast of implementing it (because fixing it would probably have cost more money than buying the right hardware in the first place). This was then made worse by a subsequent lack of factiory effort when when pressure pumps started to turn their toes up. If BMW weren't willing to fix the problems then the least they could have done was to make the replacement parts vaguely affordable (like Honda did with CRF heads...)

Rant over, back to topic!
  10. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    EFI is so good when it is good.
    For MX or close to home riding with friends very nice once tuned.
    Outback off road and dual sport especially solo, not so much....
    Only a matter of time.
    john01 likes this.
  11. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

You are trying to compare a modern automotive EFI to what comes on motorcycles. Big differences.
  12. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    My only concern with DI/EFI on a 2banger will be injector life and how to stop them gumming up when you park your bike in the shed for a few months of not riding - all well and good for a petrol 4T but we are talking premix here, and if diesel injectors cost heaps to clean what about 2strokes?.
  13. pentonpro Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    home
    Other Motorcycles:
    72 Suzuki gt 750 lemans
    I guess you don't stabilize the gas over there when not in use? We can not get away with that here in the U S The argument is simply dependable and less weight? Well it means I can ride it on the roads and get more distance and it DOES help the environment the I am all for it. Other wise I ll buy a vintage bike and haul it to the trails and track.
    Off road will go to electric or perish.
  14. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I split the Fuel Injection for 2st off into a separate thread from the buyout discussion.
  15. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    Nope. Set it and forget it.
  16. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    I know zero about the mechanics of a DI 2T, but after some thought, I'd have to agree that the simplicity of the current 2t engines is gonna be lost in this change ... Good or bad it is gonna happen ... And needs to happen, but its not gonna be a good day for everyone ...

I've never thought bikes are doing the damage the goody-goody 2 shoes have always bitched, whined, and cried about my entire 50 yrs of life ...
  17. bdl507 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    99 wr360
    Other Motorcycles:
    rd350 dr650 tt500 pe250 hondas lots
    Its going to happen no matter how hard we kick and scream when it happens I will keep mine but I will also buy a new one. Don't knock it till you try it.
  18. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    Although it's obvious that I'm overall in favor of EFI, or something like EFI, all the counter-arguments above are very valid... for now. But it's not the fault of EFI. A large reason our motorcycle and dirt bike EFI systems have been so... ?sketch?... is because EFI is way behind the curve in the motorcycle industry (and this may not be solely the fault of the motorcycle industry as I mention below). However...

What we are getting on bikes today is basically EFI in its infancy. It's crap. Our Husky and KTM thumpers, for example, are on year 3 or 4 of EFI? ReallY? If our manufacturers were putting out their 30th EFI year model TE or EXC, like the auto industry, we'd be getting a vastly better product. Seriously, the point I made above is very strong: Our automobiles operate with amazing consistency and reliability. But they didn't in 1984 with the electronic quadrajet on my mother-in-law's Camaro! Similarly, when I owned the 2009 TE 450 with EFI... it was really more hassle than it was worth. I sold it, after buying ibeat and the cable and reading hours and hours of posts on CH and spending more ridiculous hours trying to get it to run as well as a carb'd TXC. That was Husky's second year of an EFI TE. That's ridiculous. Off the lot, our cars run. Yes, you can buy a tuner/programmer IF YOU WANT TO, but you don't HAVE TO just to get them to run as with many of our motorcycles, which are factory calibrated "for emissions reasons" to run horribly out of the crate. I don't understand why they "have to" do that to our bikes in order to obtain "approval" for sale when our cars don't have to be like that. Now, I've mixed several EFI/emissions/political reasons here, but they are horribly tangled together at present. It's not that EFI is bad or less or weird or more complex or... it's where that industry is, for bikes, at this time, for these reasons. Even though it's stupid!
    lankydoug likes this.
  19. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    No I'm not.
    I'm saying that EFI on bikes works like shit because bike manufacturers install shit systems. The problem is not EFI, it's the half-assed manufacturers. If they installed modern EFI on bikes, nobody would want a carbed bike anymore, same as cars.
  20. pentonpro Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    home
    Other Motorcycles:
    72 Suzuki gt 750 lemans
    It's all about having deep pockets. Evenrude"s ficht system purchased from a german inventor was untested but with 2006 requirements from the EPA to clean up outboard emissions, put pressure on new products that would comply. Well after colossal failures on the large engines in the late 90s and early 2000's put the oldest outboard company out of business.
    Lots of people lost their jobs. Evenrude purchased by Bombardier/Rotax and company tested and perfected the engine to a great product.
    They even used an engine in a snowmobile skidoo to prove it could be reliable and meet EPA air standards. This made the snowmobile crowd excited because the 4 stroke snowmobiles were less power to weight ratio. Sound familiar?
    Money and need with demand from the public will bring you reliable clean fuel injection to motorcycles.
    I truly believe 2 stroke will come back better than ever. The hot rod crowd doesn't have any problem with putting modern power in their 50 year old cars. Resto rods.