1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc GasGas piston in WR 300

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Johnnymannen, Jun 6, 2010.

1. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Gas Gas may use a good piston, but they get an F- for a brand name.

The 1st time I heard that name in conversation I thought I was talking to a stuttering Tourette's sufferer with ass problems!
  2. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

:lol:
  3. skid Husqvarna
    A Class

bah .... its spanish slang for Pin it! WFO! In a way thats kind of cool ... although admittedly it doesn't translate well to the english speaking world.
  4. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Lost in translation, for sure.

I'm sure they're great bikes. I'd like to check one out, but have yet to see one.
  5. hrc630 Husqvarna
    A Class

Great bike for sure. I have try a 250ec last year and was impressed with the "small" feeling and agility of the bike and the good confort. The motor was very "mellow" for my taste, absolutly no hit, very linear from buttom to top but that give it a good tractability. The steering is also very nervous at high speed compared the the stability of the Husky.

Great bike, but i definetly prefer the caracter of my Husky:thumbsup:
  6. skid Husqvarna
    A Class

popular in europe, especially france ...
    the US market seems to be an after thought
    hrc's post is pretty spot on ...
  7. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Now I feel guilty....

Sorry! I wasn't meaning to bag on the brand. My humor just sucks :excuseme:

I'm the last thing from a loyalist as I've got a few brands in the garage. I will say the Husky has a certain feel that's unique to it vs. other bikes I've ridden and I like the feel better, but I've yet to ride them all. :cheers:
  8. skid Husqvarna
    A Class

LOL relax dude!! I was bagging on the husky guys for running a gas gas part ... your suppose jab back!! I have no brand loyalty, I could ride a jap 250f as easily as a wr 150. all I care about is that the bike works for me. If this 144 I'm messing with floats my boat I'll be a Husky guy until something better comes along ... Your tourettes comment is actually the best jab at the name I've heard to date!! at one time gas gas could have moved into the northeast and gave ktm a run for its money in the off road market ... unfortunately they dropped the ball and missed that train. I personally think they might not be keeping up ... I'm not stressing about it though ... plenty of capable bikes out there these days.....

no hard feelings here mate!!
  9. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Cool! The introweb doesn't convey sarcasm or humor too well. At least for me it doesn't.

Anyway, I got the piston today. It's got a little baby hump.
    I'll be taking the top end to the engine guy on Monday for some head work to coincide with the piston. Hope it's the hot ticket :thumbsup:
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    PC, will hook you up on a ride with buddy Ken (you will like him, funny dude) with a real nice GG 300. You will like the bike, it works very well. It is to small ergonomically for me and one of the reasons Ken likes it.

[IMG]

Spot on evaluation, small, smooth, tractable, nervous without a damper
  11. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Hmmm, small, smooth, tractable..... Maybe I need to try one.
  12. skid Husqvarna
    A Class

YES!! The seed has been planted!!
    If you are of limited inseam ... you'll like the fit, from the seat to the ground anyway!!
  13. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    That's why I like `em! I'm 5'1" and they seem to fit me real well. We've got 3 GG's in our garage, bought our first one in 2003, and we've got lots of friends with them. I was seriously considering buying a new 250/300 when I found out they were putting them on a diet for 2010. Unfortunately my wallet would have had to go on a serious diet in order to purchase one. They used to be a steal, but not so much anymore.
    They just make everything easy. You can ride `em like a crazed motocrosser, and then when you're spent they'll carry you home with no drama. They're pretty sweet machines :thumbsup:

WoodsChick
  14. Brian Husqvarna
    AA Class

The more accommodating fit for a shorter legged riders is what drew me to Gas Gas over Husky.
    I'm still wanting a TE450 in addition though, my bank account is just not quite agreeing with that plan. Those Husabergs are looking good too, if I could get a plate.
    I wish the Gas Gas site got more traffic though :D.
  15. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    I heard mention of how small framed the EC's are. Though it is noticeable I can tell you it is slight. We're not talking Pampera small by no means. Over all everywhere is about an inch. That's all. I'm 6' and have no troubles at all. Funny I had to add about an inch under the bars to fell comfortable standing on my 510, on my Gasser I did not.:thumbsup:
    Here's my two bikes

...TE 510 ........................ EC300
    Wheelbase 1495 mm ......... ...1475mm .........= ¾”
    Overall height 1285 mm .........1260mm .......= 1”
    Seat height 963 mm ............ 940mm .. ..... = 1”
    Ground clearance 340mm....... 300 mm .. ... = 1 ½” more
  16. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Gas Gas are great bikes. That inch is pretty significant when you are one of us vertically challenge. As it is I just always try to have a midget adapter handy when mounting. Would I trade my WR144 for one......not going to happen but I would never hesitate to buy one.

Walt
  17. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    I finally got around to pulling the top end. 69.7hrs on the stocker and it looks pretty good except where the intake wore into the intake side skirt of the piston. No blowby and bike was still making lots of power.

Here's the stocker vs. the Wiseco GG300 piston. Deck and pin height appear the same to my naked eye, but the intake skirt sure isn't. This may or may not be an issue... I'll find out later when I take it to the tuners.

[IMG]

Here's a shot of the crown. You can see the slight bump on the Wiseco

[IMG]
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Good stuff. A very reliable source here on CH and whom works in the factory says the GG is drop in and performance upgrade. :excuseme:
  19. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    I saw that too. And he would know.

I'm sure its fine. Just a different skirt design.
    I assume the Vertex piston is the same!?!?

Johnny,
    can you verify? Did you get it yet?

Also, I tried to measure the squish with the stock piston but the 3/32" rosin core solder was too thin to impact the head. So the stock squish is greater than .094", which is really loose itself. I'll need some thicker solder to get an accurate reading.
  20. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    No bueno.

The intake side of the piston skirt is too narrow and has the potential to catch inside the intake port (which is rather large). It will work, but I'm not going to risk the accelerated wear or potential for the skirt catching the port, which could lead to crank, case or cylinder damage. The GG 300 is a case reed induction motor, which is the reason for the different shapes on the skirt.

I'm still in the hunt for a domed piston. Just not this one.
    Maybe the Vertex has the proper shape of piston skirt:excuseme:
    Can anyone confirm the intake skirt shape of the domed Vertex piston is the same as the stocker?

Also, the stock piston is a cast Vertex. And was in need of replacement, so dont let the stock piston go too long as the intake window wore a good groove into the stocker. I dont think a forged piston will not suffer this fate as quickly.

The other WR300 head that Ron did (Someone named Tim, who I believe is Troffer88) the squish measured around .080" while mine could not even be measured with .093" solder, so Husky either tightened up the squish on the 2010 bike or the tolerances are all over the place.

Just an FYI for anyone who cares.