Go Malcolm !!!

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Colo moto, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com
  2. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Got to love Malcom, McGrath, and Troy Lee for this and Malcom's quote of "I've never yet seen one child chewing on a motorcycle," says volumes of the ignorances uinder which this law was written. Once again, Pandoras box was opened by the "good idea fairies" and they had no idea what was in it nor what to look for when they got it opened. Thank goodness these kind of folks are not doing explosive ordnance disposal......although it could be a fine method of "culling the herd".

Joe
  3. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com
  4. BlipBlip! Husqvarna
    AA Class

Malcolm smith fights the cpsc lead law one bike sale at a time

WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM HIS FRIENDS
    MALCOLM SMITH FIGHTS THE CPSC LEAD LAW ONE BIKE SALE AT A TIME

By: Zap

[IMG]
    Malcolm Smith at speed aboard his eight-speed Husky in the 1971 Baja 1000.

If anyone ever doubted Malcolm Smith's leadership position in the industry, it was (once again) proven today when the On Any Sunday star took the bold step to publicly flout the recently enacted CPSC "lead law" that bans the sale of minibikes (along with certain parts and accessories) with a $100,000 fine.

The stated goal of the protest gathering was simple..."In defiance of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 which prohibits the sale of youth motorcycles and ATVs deemed unhealthy for children under 12 due to suspected high-levels of lead content, motorcycle dealer Malcolm Smith will sell these banned vehicles as a sign of protest. As a sign of support, a group of small business people and high-profile motorcycle industry celebrities, including racers Jeff Ward and Jeremy McGrath, Glen Helen Raceway owner Bud Feldkamp and motorsport design guru Troy Lee have all agreed to be on hand to purchase banned units for use by their own children and grandchildren."

And with that, hundreds of motorcycle enthusiasts showed up at Malcolm's beautiful motorcycle dealership in Riverside, California, to witness Malcolm and a few industry cohorts break the law. Previously in the day the USA Today newspaper ran a feature on Malcolm's protest over the law that George Bush signed into law last August.

As it currently stands, only an act of Congress can overturn the draconian law that is currently costing the motorcycle industry approximately one billion dollars. Here's some of what went down.

[IMG]
    As Malcolm Smith told the crowd, the idea of the protest came to him just two weeks ago when a woman walked into the dealership to buy a minibike for her daughter so the whole family could finally ride together in the desert. Malcolm said that when he had to tell her that he could not sell her a bike without breaking the law, "That was when I realized that I had to do something!"

[IMG]
    Off-road racing legend Scot Harden was sporting the best shirt of the night. Although the police didn't show up to arrest Malcolm for breaking the law, the point was well made - sell a minibike, or even a kid's helmet or brake lever and you're breaking the law. If you love riding motorcycles, you should contact your Congressperson and Senator immediately and tell them that the damaging CPSC law MUST be overturned! Harden was intitially serious and emphatic about the cause at hand. "Malcolm is drawing a line in the sand today for the whole sport and industry." He then took a lighter approach, "Okay, the plan is to break Malcolm out of jail and get him down to Mexico to hide out - he loves riding down there anyways!"

[IMG]
    The King of Supercross, Jeremy McGrath came over to Malcolm's dealership following an all-day test session in an off-road race truck. "My daughter is already riding and she loves riding my 50. It's unbelieveable that this law prevents me from being able to buy her a new dirt bike. We all owe Malcolm for taking a stand on this!"

[IMG]
    If there was anyone in attendance who knew a thing or two about being able to ride dirt bikes as a kid, it was Jeff Ward. Just days away from his first Supermoto National race of the year, Wardy showed up with his brood of dirt bike grommets and reminded everyone, "I've been riding and racing since I was five years old. I brought all my kids with me today because even they know that this law is wrong and this is only the first step we need to take to get it overturned. More dealers need to follow Malcolm's lead with this. I'm proud to be down here helping Malcolm out." Before Jeff sat down to buy his son Aryton a new bike, he couldn't resist giving the audience a funny background story on his own appearance in the classic movie, "On Any Sunday" - but to find out what it was you'll have to check back on the next Mid-Week Report.

[IMG]
    Before Troy Lee spoke, Malcolm told everyone how after he met Troy for the first time back in the early 80's (when Troy was trying to get Malcolm to carry the first TLD visors in his shop), he always knew that Troy was going to make something of himself in the industry. Troy thanked Malcolm for being such an inspiration to so many people and then said, "My little boy is nine years old and he wants to ride. I'm buying him a new KTM 65 today!" After which Malcolm chimed in, "And you're all going to visit me in jail right?"

[IMG]
    Mitch Payton was also in attendance and first told the crowd how following his injury Malcolm was one of the key people who influenced him to open his own shop (Anaheim Husqvarna) 30 years ago. About the CPSC law, he was typically direct, "My wife is having twins next week and I want them to grow-up being able to ride just like I did."

[IMG]
    The protest ended with the Malcolm joined outside by Troy Lee, Jeff Ward and Glen Helen track owner Bud Feldkamp (who bought his kid a new quad) congregating in front of Malcolm's shop. The most telling sign held aloft said "Let Our Kids Ride!" Please do your part to protest the "lead law" by alerting politicians with letters ad phone calls.

Read Full story and photos here: http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/ME2....03C9A06
  5. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

I am a bit confused over this whole thing.
  6. Wetdog Husqvarna
    AA Class

Too much Lead can do that. Don't bother reading 'bout it, just watch the pictures.

cool slideshow
  7. JimO Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TE 450, '08 TE 510, '10 TXC 450
    Malcolm you the man!!! It is great when a well known person acts on something important in his life and lives of friends. There can be a big following, and important here, a loud voice.

All of us as motorcycle people can help by being heard...I'm speaking up.
  8. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Go Malcom! :thumbsup:

I think there are 3 or 4 threads about the same thing going on, to avoid confusion I'll merge a few.
  9. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    GGEC 250 Honda RC51 CBR 1000rr CR125
    Damm...I hate those so called ECO friendly SOB's.....of course they aim it at the motorcycles first....:foul:

you cant tell me that bicycles...fishing weights...and lots of other metal related items are lead exempt....:rant:

I hope the motorcycle industry gets the lead out of things quickly....I suspect it will in a hurry....

Big thanks to Malcolm ......for having the balls to stick up for the industry and everyone else that loves motocycles:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:
  10. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    It ain't just motorcycles; Librarians all over the state are up in arms as well. Any children's book printed prior to 1986 is supposed to come off the shelves til the powers-that-be can ascertain the exact amount of lead in the ink. Most of the librarians in this state are not complying til some cold hard evidence is found that these books can harm children.

Another thing about this ban is it is not only quads. Hell, I'd probably be the happiest gal around if the singletrack-destroying slob-enabled machines were banned altogether from public lands, even though I know this sentiment is dangerous to us all (what's next? dirtbikes? but I digress...) But no, small CRF's, KTM SX65's, PW80's...anything aimed at kids is on the block. Want your 3-year old daughter to start riding? Want to get your 5 year-old son a new racebike? Forget it. And if that bike happens to share a part...any part...with a bike that you own, you won't be able to purchase it. Frightening stuff.

If we want to preserve the health of children in this country, we'd be better off directing our efforts towards fast food (diet in general) and getting them off their ever-widening asses and out of the house. Hey, maybe we could get them away from the video games and IM'ing their friends if we get them a dirtbike? Maybe we could also ramp up manufacturing in this country so we wouldn't have to get each and every product we consume from China...which is how this whole lead ban thing started in the first place. Ugh... This is going to get ugly if I keep going so maybe I'll stop here.

WoodsChi...

Oh, waitaminnit...

Breaking the law is never a good idea, and that is exactly what Malcolm has done. He could face stiff fines and/or worse. However, without acts of civil disobedience, my sisters and I wouldn't have the right to vote and my friends would have to sit in the back of the bus.

Ok, I'm done...

WoodsChick
  11. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Dog Very Good find.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
  12. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    The USA would still be a British Colony...
  13. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    More likely a member of the British Commonwealth of Nations.....
  14. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

The Law is the Law, Malcolm should be arrested. Same as the illegal aliens. Who cares if Honda cant sell 50cc bikes from China?

Husky should bring in EFI 50cc bikes, or better still, just buy electric kid bikes made here in the USA. Keep the ban!

Shields Up. :)
  15. 08_TE_250_Dad Husqvarna
    B Class

Sorry Mike, the batteries in kids electric bikes contain lead....law applies to them as well.
    -Art
  16. JimO Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TE 450, '08 TE 510, '10 TXC 450
    I hate talking polkitics, I can't even spell it right. But I say good job Malcolm for standing up and saying f you to stupid laws and stupid legislaters who think they should be telling us what is good or bad for us. Example: helmet laws, seatbelt laws, I cant even ride in the back of a pick-up because the law says "I might injure myself". I know these are Ca. laws but they are spreading.

Fact be known: Lead is in almost everything we touch on a daily basis without knowing it. A well known lead ban was in your typical house paint which was a much higher level than what they are talking about in Hot Wheels toys and in motorcycle parts. You would have to sand off the paint and eat the dust in every meal for years before you would detect a harmful amount in your blood stream.

Anyway folks keep your heads up, tree hugging environmentalists are on the war path to take our riding areas away too. They have been waiting to get their agendas through,. now is their chance with a Democrat Pres. in office. We will be seeing Clintonism and worse with closing down Natl. Forest lands and more to ALL vehicles. I hope I'm wrong. Anybody else get'n that feeling??

Have a good day.
  17. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Lithium Ion batteries. Here is a list of manufacturers in the world and then by state 'made in USA!'.
    http://energy.sourceguides.com/businesses/byP/batP/batt/btora/bType/lion/byB/mfg/mfg.shtml
    http://energy.sourceguides.com/busi...P/batt/btora/bType/lion/byB/mfg/byS/byS.shtml

And here is a USA maker of Lithium Ion batteries dirtbikes, including stuff kids can ride.
    http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/

Husky should get ZeroMotorcycles to badge a 'Husky' ebike for the kids. Keep the ban!

JimO, i totally agree, talking politics is awkward, and there will be more land stolen from us. I dont really like the Republicans, but i dont like the Democrats, either. For sure there will be more land stolen from us to be used only by the horse riding and backpacking groups, who are basically setting up HUGE Backpacking/Horseback Riding Parks (BHRP's?) called 'wilderness', pretending that horsecrap, horsetrails and worse, tents along mountain streams and lakes from 'backpackers' (with all their imported urine and stool contaminated pathogens) is better than motorcycle riders. It isnt.
    But on balance, its worth noting Bush signed the ban. Several Republicans co-sponsored the Omnibus Wilderness Legislation, including Repubs from Santa Clarita and Palm Springs....who both wrote bills that take away desert riding areas.

Some common sense from both parties would be nice. Dirt biking saves families, helps local rural communities, etc, and we only have a tiny fraction of land left to use.
  18. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
  19. BlipBlip! Husqvarna
    AA Class

20. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

In the winter black cars save money on heaters, and the need to idle.
    Its a trade off imho.

Furthermore-while black metal heats up faster than white, the rate slows down after awhile, meaning both get hot when in a parking lot for a few hours.

The inside of the car temp is more a function of the glass used. Mandate reflective glass.

Black trucks in the desert dont reflect as much, nicer on the eyes, safer to drive/focus on the road. Most guys who race white trophy trucks change the color to a nice dark, at least on the top of the hood. :thumbsup: