Hangover Scramble, Washougal WA

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by ioneater, Jan 2, 2011.

1. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    Daughter and I participated in the annual Hangover Scramble yesterday. She rode the 15 and under/Beginner Moto and I tagged along as a cheerleader. I then rode in the 40+ Amateur Moto immediately afterward.

Conditions were not typical this year according to what you'll see on youtube from previous years. Usually a mud fest. This year it was an ice fest. Frozen mud and ice covered grass predominantly. Temps were in the upper 20's for both of our Motos.

My daughter, Jessie, was real nervous but did pretty darn good for her first Scramble, I thought. Went down many times on the icy terrain but always got back up, I only needed to help her once in order to get the bike out of the way for safety's sake. Not sure where she placed yet but ...... she finished, which was the goal for both of us:cheers:

I felt pretty good for almost a full lap on my Moto then went down hard after tickling too much front brake on a downhill. Front end went bye bye and I flopped to the left smacking my helmet's face guard, left knee and ankle on the concrete-like ground. I had an astronomy moment after I heard my teeth smack together. Thought my teeth were gone as my whole mouth was numb. Nope, tongue says everything's there. Guess I ride with my mouth open:D Knee is bleeding, ankle is burning but they both can still support weight so let's go ride some more... Finished the race after a couple more minor oopsies. I landed on the ankle again, which was awesome:lol:. Anyway, finished the race upright on 2 wheels and look forward to doing some more of this in the future. Oh yeah, should have worn the knee guards I decided to leave in my gear bag. (PV-you're right again)

[IMG]
    [IMG]

You only live once, as they say. Was a bonus being able to do it with my girl. We'll never forget these moments, I hope:thumbsup:
  2. Daniel508s Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TC510
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Suzuki RMz450, 2013 KTM250sx
    Battle scars, great stories, father and daughter memories=Priceless
    good job dad :thumbsup:
  3. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Of course you won't forget these moments...you'll have the scars to remind you! :lol:

Dude...wear your gear All The Time :naughty:

:lol:

Congrats on your finish, and also being a cool dad and taking your daughter racing. I'd have loved to do something like that with my dad when I was young :)

WoodsChick
  4. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    What I really regret is not having time to take pics or get my Vholder straight before the events started. Somehow I managed to bury both the camera and helmet cam at the bottom of the biggest bags the night before:banghead: Couldn't find them in the early morning mayhem. Another thing to change on the checklist:)
  5. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    It was good seeing you Greg, I didn't put it together that it was you until I saw this post. The TXC250 totally threw me, you ride a 510.:D

I rode the Expert/Pro race, and once again I got a horrible start. After last years debacle with the bike not starting with the electric start I decided kick starting would be a better option. I warmed the bike up very well, the temp was showing 220 degrees when I rolled up to the line. By the time the race started the bike was not even showing 100 degrees. So in the low 30's the TXC was not happy kick starting and I ended up going back to the electric start. This year I got off the line one spot better, 3rd to last... :banghead:

Once the race started I settled in and worked my way forward as best I could. I caught and passed a few friends and had a great race. I rode well and only made one mistake, at the end of a long down hill I washed the front and tipped over. I just had to pick the bike up and it was long enough for my friend Robert to get by me. I figured I would get by him on the next lap, unfortunately they pulled us both off the track at the checkpoint and our race was over. :banghead: I didn't even realize it was the last lap, I could have pushed harder I guess.

I ended up 6th over all and 1st in 30+ expert, one position better in each than last year. Just like my start. :lol: 4 of the 5 riders in front of me were friends of mine, Robert took 5th overall and 1st in 40 expert, he has made it to the ISDE 3 times. Don (rode erzberg this year and finished 3rd in baja last month) took 4th overall and 1st in open expert and he finished a few laps with a broken front brake lever. 3rd overall and 3rd in AA was Travis, he had a great ride for just coming back from injury. Jason was racing Shane's Husky WR144 finished 2nd overall and 2nd in AA, he had not been on a bike since summer. :notworthy: It was cool to be in that kind of company. :thumbsup: Just wish I could have started with the top riders to see if I could run their pace.

I got 35 minutes of helmet cam footage and handed my camera off to a friend to get pictures. I will post them when they are done uploading.

Later,
  6. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    Here is the first video...

[smugmug]ZT0xJmk9MTE0NDk0Nzc4MiZrPUhxY20yJmE9MTUyOTI1ODhfUjkyZ3cmdT1qbWV0dGVlcg==[/smugmug]

Later,
  7. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    Jake,

Yeah, I could tell you were trying to figure out who the hell I was yelling your name. I sold that 510 a couple months ago, thankfully.

Your 1st video was a blast to watch! Can't wait to see more:notworthy:. You guys had more mud to play with, at least for traction. On my Moto I was surprised to see how many people had trouble with small uphill stuff. They choked the crap out of it on the 1st lap, I just rode nice and easy right by them. Then the crash and I didn't want to fall or put my left leg down at all, just finish. Next time I need to reign myself in and feel the 1st lap out before pushing it. I figured since I followed the kid around on the previous Moto I was good. :cheers:
  8. bigriver Husqvarna
    AA Class

I will not run the AM class year. The race had bottlenecks everywhere.
  9. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    I agree, but I hesitate to point fingers, hell I dumped it on a simple part on the track portion. The ice really changed the game for me, I've never ridden in anything like that before. I bet Norm and crew on the East side know a thing or 2 about it;) I saw a few bikes with studs installed and was envious after the 1st lap.....
  10. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    This is the only race of the year where studs are allowed, it is awesome. Not running them is like showing up at a regular race with no air in your tires. :D

Here is the next two parts of the video.

[smugmug]ZT0xJmk9MTE0NTAxNjEwMiZrPVdDZFBSJmE9MTUyOTI1ODhfUjkyZ3cmdT1qbWV0dGVlcg==[/smugmug]

[smugmug]ZT0xJmk9MTE0NTA3NjY3OCZrPUFjV1RLJmE9MTUyOTI1ODhfUjkyZ3cmdT1qbWV0dGVlcg==[/smugmug]

Later,
  11. TonyWilliams Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC-511, TE-510
    What kind of camera, and where is it mounted?
  12. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Nice racing Jake! I could feel the pain on the starting line :( .... U must have been on the track before correct? That ski jump looked spooky and U were really hauling it over it ...

That is the TXC250 with the 310 kit and 14 / 50 gearing? I like the engine sound as you are driving out of the corners and it looked like u were picking up the front tire very easily...

PS -- that ice would intimidate me greatly ... I wear all gear all the time ...
  13. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Man... what a shame I didn't stud my tires. I say it every year, but this year was the deal breaker and I am not going back without studs. I was so nervous about crashing into cascade concrete (REAL cascade concrete) that I was a nervous mess. I only dropped my bike once and my body never hit the ground...somehow.

Nice ride Jake!
    The TCX with studs did the job nicely. And that dude on the CRF150R was flying without studs. That little bike was probably a treat to ride in that mess where horsepower and weight are only going to hurt you!

Bummer about your knees ioneater. And sorry I didn't meet you. Next time!

Here was my first lap and a half until I fouled a plug :banghead:
    http://vimeo.com/18357019
  14. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Jake, whoa bad start.....however for us watchers it was a great start.... get to see you pass an uncountable number of competitors, it made the video (1) really exciting! Nice safe and creative lines.
    Were you guys using ice studs? It was mentioned above and when the track was described it was the first thing that came to mind.
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Fun race to watch. Good job guys. All the top dudes are my friends / ride buddies... nice. :thumbsup: I should stop being such a puss and race that again some time but it was real fun watching. Got some vid I'll post later.

Killer move through the pack Jake :thumbsup: When taking vid of the start I'm like "wheres Jake"

Greg, missed you out there. Sorry to hear you took a beating.
  16. andy j Husqvarna
    AA Class

Fantastic video's and race...
    inspiring to watch, nice track.. i know how slippering frozen hardpack can be.... had a little off on a shaded corner last winter.... heading back to the truck from the race.. (brain still in race mode)

anyway top effort
  17. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    Congrats to you crazy SOBs .... I stayed home and mounted new tires on my WR300. They will be handy come March when it is fit outside to ride again :-)
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  19. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Well we do have some pretty darn good competitors in our ranks. Well done guys.
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Here i try to get Jake to adopt a winning strategy so he does not have to come in 6th and he will not listen. Josh on the other hand has his own secret methods. Enjoy...

[smugmug]ZT0xJmk9MTE0NjAzOTE5NCZrPTdFUGMzJmE9MTUzMTY1MjFfUnNVTG4mdT1Nb3Rvc3BvcnR6[/smugmug]