Honda jumps into the 250F Ds market. 2012 CRF250L

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Motosportz, Feb 29, 2012.

1. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Husky presence in Australia is growing. The nubers sold increases each year (off a low base). The encouraging thing for me is that I now regularly see huskies on rides where untill quite recently I was the only one.
    I do find it difficult when I see a sea of orange everywhere and honestly believe most of them are bought by advertising bucks and "me too" peer pressure. I accept they make good bikes but I do not like them. The starter motors are very dodgy, head shake is still apparent, crankcases frequently leak and the lack of the linkage (now only with EXC) gives a very twitchy ride over broken country. Next time you follow one watch how much they kick out left or right over a bump rather than absorbing the hit and tracking straight.
    I try not to be biased but KTM peaked in 2004/6 with the old long strke motor it was a cracker. Since going to basically detuned short stroke motor cross motors the reliability and tractability has diminished IMHO.
    That said Husky are still short selling us. The current 449/510engines are too wide with the clutch on the crank, the 2 bangers are well overdue for an update-remember we are talking their key markets here. I think the Nuda et al is a great addition to the family, however the 2 strokes have been on short rations for too long. If Huskiy does not come out with a ground breaking update with electric start and PI for the 2 strokes they will continuie to decline in popularity and losse more market share in market where respect and acceptance is still strong and proven.
    shawbagga likes this.
  2. Freaky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE250 x-lite Race ECU/Injector
    DSCF0833.jpg
    I think these trail bikes are underestimated for the casual trail rider or the novice/clubman racer. I raced my 2003 WR pictured above for 4 years with good results against true race bikes, I really don't think I'm much faster now on my 2010 TE250.
    The WR had over 5000 race miles on the clock without ever having anything and I mean anything go wrong!!
  3. dave lindsey Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XCW/2012 CRF230F
  4. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    The Jap bikes play on their brand name and applied reliability which is why they will out sell the TE everyday of the week..even though they look like a Chinese bike or aggie bikes (farmer's bikes in Australia)!!

Regardless of how much better the TE is, Husqvarna needs to lose the 3 E's tag - European = Exotic = Expensive. Whilst it won't lose the European, it needs to lose the exotic=expensive which the general population of first time riders think about when they hear Husqvarna - it's expensive to maintain and parts are hard to come by (mostly spread about by KTM owner :p )

This is where the BMW marketing machine will need to step in ... change the image to exotic looking, well engineered European bike ala KTM - if you think of an adventure bike, you automatically think GS that’s the type of marketing the Husqvarna brand needs.

This will take time as the brand is still playing catch up for the last 20 years of neglect and KTM have made them the most well known European off-road bike in the world. Winning the WEC has helped the brand in Europe but our bikes need to dominate in your domestic comps and be very reliable which will flow into sales.

It took 10 years, a change in engine configurations and Max Biaggi for Aprilia to emerge from the Ducati shadow...even though an Aprilia vtwin were as reliable as a Jap vtwin and servicing cost roughly the same.

As the American MX market still influences brand appeal (via both print and visual media), maybe it's time for Husky/BMW to approach, gulp, Joe Gibbs Racing and form an alliance to be the Factory Husky team in AMA with a rider capable of winning both SX and MX in James Stewart? Wish l knew what BMW's strategy is for Husqvarna??

PS. XR250R no longer sold in Australia, but they have the CRF230F and L (pretty much the XR engine) which is aimed at farmers and females.

PPS. KTM don't make a novice bike like CRF230L or TT250, why should Husky?
    pat ohara likes this.
  5. pat ohara Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    yes , 2 WR's
    Other Motorcycles:
    Old Style Husaberg,
    Very good point, every time the scribes in the USA do what they call a test of any bike if it is made and designed in Europe then it is labeled exotic. The reasoning is all to obvious except to the casual buyer, it is subjective advertising through what is perceived as factual information. Sublime it is not, check out the CR125 tests for Husky and notice injection of Japan's current crop or the latest KTM, very crafty which would lead you to believe that TM or Husky, Gas Gas are made from some weird materials or because they have a style of their own with paint etc they can't possible be as good as a YZ. The reason Husky will have problems or the other Euro brands will continue to lag behind is because of the lack of print exposure. Jody and whoever the latest DR mag guy is, like their spot at the party and they will not give it up easily. Exotic my --S.
    ohmygewd likes this.
  6. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    Where is this new honda made? with the 230 if you got the L one designed for a liscence plate it was made in japan but the non plate version was made in south america. At least the ones here in the United States.

I see a perimiter frame and upside down forks besides the new engine. The Ke 100 had a thick seat not sure why none of the modern stuff I have seem come even remotely close to that. The 230 is or was one of the very few four cycle motorcycles around with a stroke longer than the bore. I couldn't find out how short stroke this new one is.

I have typed about it before but it doesn't seem to have many followers. The warranty. If a manufacturer wants to play dual sport with players who offer a one year warranty which can be bumped out to four years for some extra money and come in with a model with what less than 15 hp on the certificate of origion and a six month warranty so long as you don't tamper with it. It is pretty clear from wandering around here even things like wiring to where a tip over switch might have been going bad get the customer a lecture about installing the power up kit and having to pay out of pocket. I also maintain until you can get parts on bikebandit.com you are in a different league.

Fran
  7. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    Spot on Pat, maybe Husqvarna/BMW provide favourable gifts and parties to the editors of DR, Transworld etc etc.

It's funny in all my years in this love of motorcycling, the roadbike world is the direct opposite where exotic is desirable and reliable has a tinge of blandness e.g a Ducati is the most desirable bike but a CBR1000 is it's equal, more reliable and more cost effective out there or a Honda Fury is more reliable but the HD is the most desirable (even though a HD engine is still stuck in the 30's).
    But roadbike testers (and editors) as a whole are alot more subjective IMO as they critique each bike on the intended use (sportsbikes that is) which is track, track, track and maybe a bit of real world. Whereas, again IMO, dirtbike mags seem to be more influenced by who buys the most advertising space.
    pat ohara likes this.
  8. AndrewS Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350s 2013 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 TE250 (sold)
    You raced a wr250f. The comparable bike to the new Honda is the WR250r.
  9. Freaky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE250 x-lite Race ECU/Injector
    exactly my point, This Honda should make a good all rounder, race, commute, trail etc.
  10. Slowpoke Husqvarna
    AA Class

The engine in this new Honda is apparently a variant of the one used in the new CBR250.
  11. AndrewS Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350s 2013 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 TE250 (sold)
    Oops... Slowpoke got a post in between.

Re: Freaky post above:

Yeah, it should. I've read reviews on the WR250r that gave it very high praise. Although, looking at the video of the Honda, it looks very heavy and clumsy on the trail. Still, I definitely think there's a market for it.
  12. 7point62 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 Kawasaki TR250
    Me too. I'll be interested to see how KTM do with their Freeride as well.

There seems to be a lot of macho derision towards less aggressive trail bikes, but if it gets people riding (and keeping those trails open), then who cares? There's a lot of merit to being able to get your foot down easily when you're learning, as well as not having to worry about oil changes every weekend or two, or struggling with a close ratio gearbox, etc. Being able to ride the darn thing to work occasionally is a bonus as well!
  13. rt3856 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011TE449
    ex WR rider here.
    I bought my te449 three months ago. :applause:
    had my WR250R for two years. put on several thousand trouble free miles with only oil change air filter cleaning you know the minimum stuff.
    Point is I also rode the desert100 and the virginia city grand prix then rode to town got beer and back to camp across the north Cascade highway, blah blah blah.
    All trouble free.
    Low performance? yes. Fun? absolutely.
    I would still have it but I wanted more performance. Even if it means more maintenance.
    The bike can do a lot for a little $
    But I figured that to upgrade it to the perfomance level I wanted it was better to buy a new bike "Husky TE449"
    Entry level bike? yeah. Fun Oh Yeah.
    maybe if husky built a mild low maintenance bike with a short seat hight it would breed some brand loyalty.
    It would be cool for a newbie to say " I ride a Husky"
    I used to race moto-x in the day and new what I wanted.
    just had to get back inthe swing of things after a twenty year lay off from dirt.
    So why not provide something friendly for those that are learning?
    Remember the phrase "entry level"
    7point62 and Freaky like this.