1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st How tall are you and what do you ride?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Gotlabs, Jan 24, 2012.

1. justplayin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sorry gotlabs, I was just responding to the post I quoted, not your original question. I was just trying to say that you can "learn" to ride anything, if you HAVE to, that's all. But to directly answer your question, I feel that if you need to lower the bike, do so internaly with the suspension. Maybe, shave the seat or something.
  2. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    Sorry, we got sidetracked. Back to the topic at hand...

Most seats can afford to lose some foam and still not feel like you're sitting on the pan. That's the cheapest way to gain 1/2-1". If you have an electric staple gun, you can do this pretty easily yourself. A sureform file is a good way to shave off the foam. Wear a breathing mask and safety goggles... tiny bits of foam will get everywhere.

Two friends of mine had KTMs lowered recently using internal spacers. They paid $600 for the springs and work. It'd probably be a tad more for a Husky since it doesn't use a linkless rear suspension. I'm not sure what the hourly rates for labor are in your area, I'm guessing it was about $80/hr for my friends who had the work done in Monterey, CA. In the San Jose area (90 minutes away), it would be $100-110/hr.

Your daughter is lucky to have parents that are able and willing to be so supportive. I'd love to see some pics of her riding and hope she shows em how it's done in her races this year!
  3. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I am riding a WR150 and weigh 185lbs. I am running a 6kg spring on rear. .40kg front.
  4. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    If lowering Internal Suspension was desired or determined to be the best option- LT Racing does it fairly reasonably in conjunction with a revalve Extra 95$ based on my understanding.... Call them up for more details.

I had a lowered KTM- It railed due to the lower Center of Gravity/ and felt like a trials bike in tight stuff- but was very harsh at fast pace stuff and deflected easily. I can ride faster in tight or open with my Husky. Sold the KTM after it never became the "weapon of choice" no matter what the day involved. I would definitely revalve if you lower it and would get the right springs- my take on LTR's website is you'd be set up with a lowered custom suspension with springs for in the area of 5-6 hundred.

Could definitely shave the seat- free.

I think the 125 would be a great bike for her- nothing is perfect- might as well build a perfect bike from a Husky. Suspension work is almost always needed anyway-

My point of my first post was just to say shorties (like myself) can ride full height bikes- and half the time being forced to ride on the pegs and not have bad habits can be a good thing- but I understand the confidence in putting a foot down when momentum stops- and when you have to kick start at inopportune moments. Sorry if my post didn't quite inspire the way I intended, or came across as judgemental toward anyone.
  5. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I say go with a 125 or 200 GG. I have the 2010 GG 300 and it's about an 1 1/2" lower than my 08 CR 144 Husky and a least an 1" lower than my 2010 TC 250. Shave an 1" out the seat and I think she would be good to go. If she needed any more than you could have the suspension lowered a little. You are a racer so you know the deal. I just think if you start out lower with about the same ground clearance you will have less to change to get the bike where she feels good about it. BTW I'm 5' 7" myself and a bike thats a little lower feels mo better to me and at 53 now I've ridden a few.
  6. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ok, i thought it had with how tall you are compared to your body weight. What springs should i use if im both short and heavy to get the bike lower and not too stiff? I,m 5"8 and weigh around 200 pounds. Just a shorter and stiffer rear spring and fork springs?
  7. water racer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

http://www.knoxenduro.com Knoxville, Tennessee
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Beta 250RR
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Husqvarna WR125 1997 Fantic
    I am 6-2, 165lbs, and I am very comfortable on my husqvarnas. I even like the stock bars.
    GP
  8. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I agree with this and another plus for the GasGas is they are sprung for a 150# rider from the factory which is about the average weight for a shorter person.

Les at LTR can lower a Husky but if you don't already own one why not get a bike that is already suited for you.
  9. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

You just need the correct springs for your weight. You can always max out the static sag. Go read my thread in Tech.
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/vinduros-suspension-setup-recommendations.17836/
    Too soft a spring will require more preload thus a taller bike. You don't want shorter springs. Just minimal preload. I am not that much lighter and had to go one softer on fork spring and 5 steps heavier on shock spring. I had a hard time slinging my leg over the stock bike. Not a problem now. You can cut a slightly shorter preload spacer also for the fork (Under the spring on OC fork) to get static sag and rider sag to max. Like 44 static and 78mm rider sag. You can also raise your forks 5-10mm in the clamps. Set your rider sag on rear to about 105mm. Static 30-35mm. (on current framed 125-150)
  10. Harbinger Hróðvitnir

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Nuda 900 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Buell
    I'm only 5'8" and a quarter with a 30 inch inseem and i ride a WR250, i don't have any issues with the heigth of the bike. I have raised the bars on my bike 0.5 inches since i usually ride it standing.
  11. BCdirtbikegal Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 150
    Other Motorcycles:
    '08 KTM sx50 jr, 08 pw50
    I'm 5"10 and ride a WR150, had the seat cut on it and also just went to Renthal high bars as I usually ride standing
  12. Gotlabs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR144 X 2!
    Well, I think today was the beginning of a downwards spiral in my daughter racing "career". She got to check out a 2010 TXC 250 and really liked it, I will keep pushing her to smokers since they are easier on the wallet when rebuild time comes around. I actually don't care what she wants to ride as long as she keeps riding and racing. Watching her tool around the field on a big bike was a reality slap in the face, they grow up so fast.
    HUSKYnXJnWI likes this.
  13. huskyfrk Husqvarna
    AA Class

how about a number of things, shorten the subframe, a mild shave of the seat. and i would run a link, but have the shock modified to go along w the link. i don't think most will miss 1 or 1 1/2 of rear travel add the rest of it up and it still won't be perfect, but a good bit better. and i am 5'5" and have found no solution on my supermoto RR .. starts are the worst. but once underway, it's a gas,,,, run my 250 tc stock just w proper sag......
  14. Jkosmo Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None Yet..
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas EC250
    Gotlabs, what route did you end up going for your daughter? If you went with the 125 were you able to set it up to the point where it was a comfortable height for her? I'm curious as my girlfriend about the same height and we are looking at setting up a WR125 for her.
  15. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Oh yeah, and of course now I ride a stock height 2011 WR300, but at least it's a lot better handling, much lighter and way more torquey power than my 450.:banana:
  16. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr144 with lectron carb, stuff!
    6' 2",205lbs. ride a stock height wr150 and a husaberg fe450 with tall bar risers. Both are comfortable,but the husky just feels right!
  17. Gotlabs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR144 X 2!
    We went with a CR144, koubalink and low seat. She still has to one leg the bike, but she is comfortable on it and has even won a race on it. Suspension setup is a must, obviously. The stock trim is way to harsh for lightweight riders.