Husky 800 paralell twin

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by ghte, Oct 13, 2010.

1. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I tried out those 800 vertical twin BMW lately. I think the numbering is by horsepower so you get an 65 and an 80. I found the clutch housing and my ankle didn't like the fit. Hopefully if they do it the footpeg goes back or the engine goes forward. Really I think half that displacement would be sufficient for me. At least it isn't an insanely big bore to stroke ratio with a tiny piston in the vertical dimension.
  2. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    This is a pretty interesting play on the bikes ...

Why would bmw want to make these machines as a Husky? Are they looking to make them more true dual sport bike with the dirt side getting the better of the dual part?

That article said a series of bikes are coming out ... Where does that leave the true bmw machines?

This looks like a pretty bad a$$ dirt machine already ..
    http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/.../en/bikes/endurobikes/f800gs/f800gs_main.html
  3. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    The BMW has a list price but it you want one at the list price you have to order it from Germany. Everything they import normally has optional more expensive accessories or stuff in general on them. Not everyone wants that instrument panel to tell you what gear you are in. That would be the logic besides perhaps having more ground clearance and suspension travel. I am still not totally sure if plastic gasoline tanks and limited production or imports are related. There may well be different standards if they only import below some number of them. One could also consider the insurance ramifications as I read about folks boasting about smashing/crashing their dual purpose bike and getting it fixed at insurance company's expense and being real proud of themselves. So you have statistics like that to divert away from the BMW marquee.
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Might be headed for...

BMW = Street

Husky = dirt, adventure, SMR, DS

makes sense.
  5. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    This gives the appearance of a long term goal also on this series of bikes, as I can't see how bmw can think sales on a bike like this will happen in the short term ...
  6. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Doesn't make sense to me for the adventure segment. Husqvarna most likely lacks the dealer network for folks to buy a new bike and take off on a multi continent tour. I also would not hold my breath hoping for three year unlimited mileage warranties from Husqvarna either. I might be wrong but have been lead to believe not all ktm dealers are authorized to deal with those big v twins. I think generally it isn't because they also carry Harley which might be an instance in a few.
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Lots of BMW dealers will sell Huskys, already are.
  8. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

I was given the impression that all bikes under 650cc will be branded Husq.

Husky will have a complete line up of bikes inc more street models by 2013 model year.
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I like it. A new expanded husky line. Hope they keep the Italian flare of the husky brand in tact.
  10. Flying Trash Can Sustaining Member

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1100R
    A BMW 800 lump in a Husky frame?

I suppose this would be a marketing effort built on aesthetic qualities as opposed to BMWs' typical "government mule" image.

On the other hand they might be able to take their parallel twin concept, improve it's off road performance and substantially lower the sticker price. This might allow them to sell more units in the twin dual sport arena but, I think it would be a step in the wrong direction.

The whole reason I bought a Husky is because it has a motor that kicks ass.
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    How does this hurt anything? Adding a bike using a motor husky might never build. It's not replacing a current model. I have always liked the vertical twin layout (Yamaha TDM) and they already have the motor, why not make it sexy like the new 449 and go for it?
  12. midengineracer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Proper riding boots fixes the clutch cover issue (I wore the paint off mine but it never bothered my ankle) as moving the engine or the pegs would mess up the bike (ergos were quite nice).
    In the hands of a good rider, the 800GS is pretty amazing.
    The gear is indicated on the GS's whether or not you get the OBC as well as I can remember. The OBC adds fuel consumption, outside temp, range to empty, etc.

The two companies seem to be working well together so far and I am happy, as long as they keep a street-legal TE line.
  13. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    My point might not have been that clear. I meant things like that elaborate instrument panel/display screen could not be there on a Husqvarna version, it wasn't listed on the optional extra cost sheet. The abs switch which they tell you to turn off if you go off road and comes on all of the imported for sale ones (so the dealer said) isn't included in the posted price. The price on the post card that comes in the mail and the price on that piece of paper tied on the handlebar, well there is a disconnect.
  14. Bobby Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TXC310Rx2,
    Other Motorcycles:
    G450X, HP2E, 10 R12ADV, GasGas280
    You've managed to make it even less clear :excuseme:

the optional on board computer is strictly a software feature on the display that is there no matter what. On Board Computer feature gets you miles per gallon, thermometer, MPH average, etc. The standard display shows fuel gauge, gear indicator, engine temp, engine warnings etc at no additional costs

If Husky does use the 800, chances are it will be offered with ABS as standard in the years coming forward. I believe all motorcycles of a that cc displacement must be equipped with ABS for European road use, so that means stream lining the option as a standard feature which should be less overall costs for the it as a base item, we'll see how that works out. Ducati is going to ABS as standard equipment on it's bike as a result of this European legislation.
  15. midengineracer Husqvarna
    AA Class

The G650GS is standard ABS, but the F800/650GS models, it is optional. They want to sell you the one on the showroom floor, not order one for you.

The display is, I believe, the same display regardless of OBC, it just doesn't display the extra info (as mentioned above) but I am not 100% sure of that. The standard display might be half the height of the optional display and the other part was covered with plastic. I never saw one in person with a standard display but it seems like the pictures in the owner's manual were slightly different.

Personally, I hope Husky doesn't use the engine and frame of BMW, just the engine if they are going to mix those. I am picturing something more off-road oriented than the GS but with the same powerplant. That would be more like what KTM has and would free BMW from competition with KTM on their more dirt-oriented products.
  16. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    But like 85% of all GS bikes on the floor have ABS, heated grips and the OBC.

I doubt BMW would hand over the GS line to Husky as it makes a ton of money for BMW directly now.

But I'd love to see what Husky could do with an 800cc dual sport adventure bike.

I love my F800GS, but I also love my TE610e. I think a Husky 800 would have a better frame, better suspension and be one hell of a great bike.
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    totally agree. And would be sexy red as well.
  18. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Yep! Me, three :) I hope my SV is ready for the scrap heap when this bike finally hits the market so I can justify replacing it :D

WoodsChick
  19. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

Four !
    I want it and I want it bad !!!
    And the funny thing is “it” does not exist yet

:thumbsup:
  20. T Stretch Husqvarna
    B Class

I might have pulled the plug too early. I just traded in my TE630 for the BMW F800GS three weeks ago.