Husky Trip to the Tip

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by Mike Kay, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Yossarian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Multistrada 1200 Enduro; Tiger 800XC
    I am working from home today due to the streets being impassable. Even if I could get to my work I would have no place to park; they can't keep the lots clear due to the wind. So I stare out my window at the 3' drifts in my yard and tell myself that I really am ready for a trip to Baja.
  2. BentAero Husqvarna
    A Class

As long as you're not snowed in on Dec 24, all is good!

After monsoon like rains lately, today is so nice (sunny and upper 50's) I'd like to blow off work and go ride, but alas the testing of the new fork mods will have to wait. :banghead:
  3. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

Startin to get real.

Well boys, this crap's starting to get real. The UPS guy now stops right at my parking spot every day spot to drop stuff off:cool:

As you can see, my bike is in pristine condition and ready to go:
    [IMG]

Well, this one broke, and I re-enforced it which then made it break again and I got a third crack starting. These things don't even do anything right? They have been on Backorder from Husky for 6 months, so I guess Husky thinks I don't need it.:excuseme:
    [IMG]

Remember, this is a 2008 with 5k miles...
    [IMG]

(on a serious note, WHY does the engine breath into the frame? Won't that just fill the frame with oil? Do I want my frame filled with oil?)

[IMG]

I'm pretty sure I can get another thou out of this, 'side's Aluminum is softer than a chain anyhow:thumbsup:
    [IMG]

I scored (sort of $$:confused:) a used HID Lynx fairing which I'm getting tomorrow.
    New chain and sprockets.
    Doing a valve adjust next week (after the rain stops:banghead:)
    Got a Yaesu HAM radio and today I hacked the circuit board with an x-acto so in theory it will transmit :busted: (actually amazed it was only $140)
    mounted up new set of desert IT's (never ran em before so I sure hope I like them:lol: I smashed the damned adjuster while ham fisting the axle, so I gotta deal with that whenever it stops raining.:banghead:
    new rad return hose t thing
    my custom steel fender support should be done Sat.
    new chain guide installed
    new breather hose is on order
    George has my fuel pump to beef up the fittings (that Hyd clutch is so sweet but I controlled myself - barely!)
    And I got me a new visor for the shoei, I'm set!
  4. JCH4 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Still doing last minute upgrades to my bike.
    New clamps
    large tank
    replaced plastic
    XPC seat on way
    new cables
    new tires
    new chains and sprockets
    replace most rubber
    new grips and bars
    new lights (will spend this weekend going over harness etc)

Attached Files:

5. Yossarian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    My to do list is mostly done.

Items completed:

oil & filter change
    air filter clean & re-oil
    adjust clutch free play
    check & adjust valve clearances
    check bolt tightness on compression release
    check frame bolt tightness
    grind down seat spacer
    drill out & replace exhaust bolt
    replace chain & sprockets
    replace tires & tubes
    clean shipping grease from & relube chain

Yet to be completed:

install acerbis mirrors (taking off the TE450 mirrors for this trip)
    install case saver
    install additional RAM mount
    replace license plate reflector fasteners with something a little more "hardened"

In two weeks' time I will be on my way.
  6. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

forgot to add that
    i have pivot pegs coming too, one day left if you want a deal on those...
  7. Yossarian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    You will like them!

On another note, I think that the breather routes through the frame to give it more volume before it ends up at the airbox. Since the bike is a single cylinder, there is a fair amount of pressure differential during operation as the piston moves. The volume added by routing through the frame provides a bit of a buffer, so that the air movement through the airbox is not disrupted too greatly.

I could just be guessing, though. :excuseme:
  8. Vegas Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Are you going to paint the tank or leave it clear??
  9. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Please go for a ride once you install them, before you go on this trip. While I truly think they are fantastic they took me some time to get used to. I have a different riding style with them, for instance foot placement is slightly different and I don't feel a need for a different shifter lever anymore.

Personally I would not want to go on a big ride, without a shake down ride for many reasons... If it is possible to arrange.
  10. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Personally I would not want to go on a big (ANY) ride, without a shake down ride for many reasons... If it is possible to arrange.[/QUOTE]

It's a must.

+1, especially of this magnitude.
  11. Yossarian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    12" of snow outside, and freezing drizzle tomorrow. I'm not sure I'm going to get any shakedown ride opportunities. :excuseme:
  12. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Then I would say it is not possible, or at least not worth it at the moment. But many might have an opportunity for a short ride in other parts of the country. I'm particularly thinking about riding in woops, up/down hills with Pivot Pegz for the first time. For me, it is much better with them, but did take a little while to get used to.
  13. JCH4 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yes, white Krylon and leave an area clear to check the fuel level.
  14. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    12 RS520, CRF150F/230F, YZ250
    Were is the deal on those?
  15. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
  16. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well, I have to ride 60 Miles of very rough 405 freeway to get to George's Shop.

I'm afraid if I show up with 'used' tires my bike will fail the tech inspection:lol:

Then again, maybe I should cut off all the chicken strips so everyone thinks I'm hardcore.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to dig the pegz, but I'll definitely give them a go beforehand. I have way WAY too much new junk going on the bike for my comfort. I got my replacement breather hose from Motoxotica today, that's the one part I was worried wouldn't arrive in time.
  17. fitness2go Husqvarna
    AA Class

Personally, I wouldn't be putting those pegz on for this ride...what if you hate them or you get sore because of them. I would wait and install them later on some nice and easy short rides.
  18. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

I was gonna pack the old ones in my duffel in the truck. Jeeze what a bunch of worry warts! Actually If I really hate the pegz I'll just hit the 911 button on my Spot messenger and get airlifted out by the nice Mexican Army. That's what they are there for, right?

This ain't my first rodeo fellers
  19. BentAero Husqvarna
    A Class

LOL!

Though I don't have pivot pegz on my bike, a good friend does. On a recent woods ride we switched bikes so I could see how they felt. After the first 30 seconds I didn't even notice them. YMMV.

I'm bound and determined to get one more shake down ride in, but the weather has been so crappy lately it hasn'e been practical. Monday is supposed to be warm and dry, so I'll try to get out then. I had some fork mods done, and I want to ride with the rear mounted gas can to feel how the bike reacts. After that, the 'changover' will take place.
  20. Yossarian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Done prepping.

Crappy mirrors but they probably won't break as easy.
    [IMG]

Dual RAM mounts; one for GPS and one for SPOT
    [IMG]

Chromoly countershaft sprocket and billet case saver
    [IMG]

Supersprox tri-metal rear sprocket and D.I.D. X-ring chain
    [IMG]

Motoz Tractionator Desert HT rear tire, 140/80-18
    [IMG]