Husky Trip to the Tip

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by Mike Kay, Aug 13, 2009.

1. JCH4 Husqvarna
    AA Class

What is the prevailing thought, if any, on bringing a "back up" helmet for this trip? Only have one helmet but debating whether to purchase second one just in case.

As you can see from the photo, I am putting it all together as the UPS guy drops off multiple packages daily. Have replaced just about everything on the bike including the rubber gasket between carb and engine just to be on safe side. Waiting on uptite vent tube, sprockets, and chain and then should be good to go other than wiring new Baja Design lights.

Attached Files:

2. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

If you break your helmet, what is the probability that you'll still want to ride?

I'd say bring spares of things that will end your ride, like levers but a helmet will just be a huge PITA, especially on the flight back.
  3. Yossarian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Multistrada 1200 Enduro; Tiger 800XC
    I'm bringing one helmet; thought about toting a second but figured pretty much the same as xymotic. I'm sure to need something I don't bring, and not need the things I do bring.
  4. JCH4 Husqvarna
    AA Class

If I had an extra one, I would definitely bring it, however, because I do not have an extra, I was debating laying down the cash on an extra. I have seen where people have crashed, broken the chin area, and used a second helmet to finish the ride. Granted that was the Dakar but after trekking from East Coast to West Coast for this ride, I am considering it. But I agree, the $2 part you do not have is the one you will need.
  5. Yossarian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well, once I get to packing my gear bag I will quickly know what I have room to include, and what I do not.

By the way, I have three (yes, three) clutch cables for a TE610. One is stock, with 200 miles of use on it. The other two are Barnetts that are brand new. I'll bring them all as they take up very little room, and will happily supply them if anyone's gives up the ghost.
  6. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

If everyone brings a second helmet, we wont have enough room. But if one guy wants to, thats fine by me.

I suspect this:
    Somebody will get hurt, or just tired, and end up in the chase truck. Maybe even two guys.

His gear will then be available to anyone who bathes regularly and asks nicely. :)

Remember too we most likely can find a used helmet or whatever in places like Loreto, San Felipe, La Paz. Hey for $100 i am sure we could find something very 'helmet like' in tiny San Ignacio. It might be an late 70's era Scotts helmet with a couple roaches in it, but we can clean it up. :)

On the first ever Husky baja / internet organized ride, back in '05, i gave up my boots to a guy in the Rancho Santa Veronica parking lot, and jumped in the chase truck and 4 wheeled it. He showed up from far away without his boots!

Dont forget your gear.
  7. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    If you break the chinbar on that Arai (other than the chase truck running it over), I truly doubt you'll you'll be riding out.:busted:
  8. JCH4 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I will chuck the extra helmet idea. Looking forward to it.
  9. SepticSkeptic Husqvarna
    B Class

So what's the plan for those of you meeting at Uptite on the 26th? Heading down to Tecate to get paperwork sorted on the 26th then spending the night?

I've been debating heading to the border a day early and spending the night vs getting it sorted at the consulate in Santa Ana beforehand and riding down before dawn on the 27th.

If you've got room I'd just as soon load up in Santa Ana with you all, assuming that's the plan.

Either way I'd like to stash some spares and stuff on the truck.
  10. Yossarian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    That's my understanding.

I don't know, I'm just along for the ride. :lol:
  11. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

I was hoping to ride in the truck, but I guess that might be optimistic.
    Once I see you guys @ uptite you're not going to be able to ditch me:)

12. Norcalslowpoke Husqvarna
    AA Class

Extra Tank

I'm planning on bringing 1 stock 07 te510 tank as a back up for the IMS tank owners.., or anyone to bungee to their bike in case of an issue.

Mike Kay, let me know if you are bring a spare tank, and I'll leave it here. Ed Ross specifically asked me to bring it along.

My status

Getting all my paperwork organized, copies made etc, starting to pack a bit, new tires/tubes installed, gears/sprockets will arrive Monday.

Guts tall soft seat installed.

New synthetic oil/filter installed

Air filter cleaned, filter skin installed.

checked/torqued all obvious bolts/nuts, used Anti-seize on most, got some blue loctite, jb quick, small wd-40 for the tool kit.

vibranators (no jokes) installed, not tested....

http://www.vibranator.com/

Turntech 5A battery ordered, will bring one charged yuasa back up in my "box of spares" for all to share. I will throw my Battery Tender in my box too. The box will be just a normal plastic tote box size, I'll stuff it full of anything I think might be useful to anyone. I'll throw my te510 manual, clutch plates, repaired radiator/heater hose, fluid/bleed kit, a bolt kit & other stuff in. I know Mike Kay is bringing a bunch of spares too.

Kelly is working on getting me an eclipse x2 headlight (halogen not hid), supposed to be way better than stock.

Most of this stuff I wanted anyway. Not really buying anything "just for Baja", except maybe the tire choice (motoz des ht).

Sold some Guzzi Parts on ebay to pay for some of this bling...need to sell more:)

Helmet

I think 1 extra helmet for everyone to share as a "back up" for a lost/stolen/damage unit is a good idea. Maybe the back up helmet should be XL or larger for obvious reasons.

Anyone want to volunteer to bring one extra helmet?

Let me know if you want me to bring an XL Shoei.

First Aid Kit for Chase Vehicle

I will bring a fairly large pro quality first aid kit 10" x 10" x 6"+- to put in the chase truck, unless Mike already has one.

Luggage/bag tags?

One idea, maybe have luggage tags of some sort on all of your bags, etc, in case someone has to grab it for you. Maybe this is getting a bit too organized...

Alumaseal

Ed Ross & I were on a trip where my radiator started to leak. We bought some Alumaseal at a local Napa and it did slow the leak greatly and allowed us to get to stopping spot to fix the radiator with jb quick (seam leak). I'll be carrying some on the bike this time too. will bring some radiator hose repair tape too.

Looking forward to meeting you all and eating your dust...just wait for my slow ass at the intersections....

Cheers
  13. Yossarian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    I will have a field first aid kit with me on the bike. I wear a size S helmet (how I cram this big brain in there I don't know :eek: ) so an XL would have my noggin swimming in it. :p

Any use bringing a spare countershaft sprocket and chain? I am bringing a spare master link but can haul the extras along for the chase truck if we think they are needed.
  14. Norcalslowpoke Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm bring a used 15/47 chain/sprocket set with some life left on the chain and front sprocket and lots of life left on the rear sprocket. It will be in my box to share.

helmet:easier for you to make an xxl work the other way around:) Probably won't be needed, but could save the trip for someone.
  15. SepticSkeptic Husqvarna
    B Class

I've been thinking about swapping in a new battery, and bringing along the old one as backup for everyone. Funny thing is I'm still on the stock Varta. Despite reports of failure by many, mine has been stone cold reliable. Kinda hate to gamble on a new one. :excuseme:

Been tying to sort out my best options for the TE610, nothing really stands out. Any of you northerners got any ideas? I'll be heading into cold country around April for a long ride, I understand certain types of batteries don't so well in the cold. Is a good AGM battery the way to go? Is there one that's is a direct swap in terms of dimensions? As appealing as the though of downsizing to save weight is I'd just as soon get one with a decent capacity as I'll be solo.
  16. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

I put a Odyssey PC310 in my 610 a while ago. Its smaller than stock, quite a bit shorter and way lighter.

Pretty spendy but it seems to work quite well.
  17. Yossarian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    I have had very good luck with AGM batteries in cold weather. They also don't leak out all of their electrolyte when your bike naps.
  18. BentAero Husqvarna
    A Class

I was able to get a few miles in today to test the fork mod experiment, and I'm very pleased with the result. Very smooth, very plush, just what I was looking for. The rack mounted gas can is heavy, but a necessary evil. I'll get used to it.

Now that I know it all works, the new parts can start going on tomorrow.

You only have............

.................two weeks!
  19. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Bring one if you want. I use plastic-epoxy for fuel tanks, including IMS, and its always worked great for me. But if you want to bring one, go for it. I dont know how many '05-'07 non-610 bikes we will have. 3-4?

Problem is the same. One spare fuel tank we can always fit in. But if we end up with spares for non-EFI 610's, EFI610's (like mine), EFI non-610's, etc. then we wont have room.

I do know of one Husky that didnt make it to Cabo on a previous ride because his IMS tank cracked. So its a valid issue IMO, but still unlikely.

As for medical kit--i have one in the truck. Its basic. Bring a big one if you want, but really all we need is:
    Duct tape, Epipen and Benedril, Pepto, Aspirin, Motrin, t-shirt/splint, and maybe a sterile suture. If that stuff cant handle it, we arent qualified to be doing it, and we need to get ya to a clinic asap.

Remember there are good pharmacy and clinic places in every town we will be staying in. :thumbsup:
  20. Yossarian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    My shoulder is counting on that! Even my ortho told me to get what good stuff I could find south of the border. :thumbsup: