Husky Trip to the Tip

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by Mike Kay, Aug 13, 2009.

1. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    12 RS520, CRF150F/230F, YZ250
    I like the tire!
  2. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Tires:
    Its an endless debate. For baja we just want a tire that will get to Cabo. Performance in sand, or on tarmac, or in silt, or whatever is secondary to lasting to Cabo. Every tire is a compromise in one area or another.

My first choice is the Motoz HT. Second is Dunlop Rally Raid, and third is Michelin Desert, fourth Michelin Baja, fifth is Maxxis Desert, sixth is Dunlop 606.

Ive raced and ridden in baja on Huskys with each of the above, plus many many long trips.

Thats just my opinion based on many factors, but the overall criteria being 'will this tire get to Cabo'

All the above can get you to Cabo. There are others as well.
    ------------------

Timetable to RSV:
    The timetable is not meant to be accurate. Thats impossible to forecast on a trip like this.
    The timetable is meant to give meeting points and times when folks would need to be there to meet us. Yes, they probably will have to wait. But thats ok.
    Georges at 2.
    Tecate Border at 5
    RSV at 6.
    Point being if you are there later, i cant guarentee i will be there to meet you, i may have already left. But if you are there by that time, i wont yet have left there. If im running late, you can wait for me. :thumbsup:
  3. Yossarian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Multistrada 1200 Enduro; Tiger 800XC
    Mike & everyone else:

I look forward to meeting you all on Saturday (except for BentAero, who, if thing go as planned, I'll meet with early Friday morning.)

Some parts of the country where I'm located are looking at up to 17 inches of snow in the storm that is coming through today through Friday. Ugh. I gotta get out of here!
  4. Norcalslowpoke Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yos, Have a safe drive out, looking forward to meeting you all too.

still some minor bike prep/packing to do..not much.

I, myself, am running a 5 year old bald Michelin S12, should be fine... I highly recommend scrounging the the Cycle Gear dumpster for choice meats....:)

Cheers
  5. LRPct Husqvarna
    AA Class

Merry Christams to all and happy holidays. I hope and pray for all of you to have a great and SAFE time which I'm sure you will. You couldn't be in better hands than with Mike and company.:thumbsup: I really wish I could be there for this one. If it happens again next year I'll beg, borrow, or steal to get my way there for that one for sure.. :D

have fun guys!!! :thumbsup:

Roger
  6. BentAero Husqvarna
    A Class

In about 5 hours I plan to hit the road. If the weather forecast holds, I-40 should be just fine the entire way. See you Friday morning PJ, the rest of you Saturday afternoon!

BTW, I'm not taking the laptop, so this will be the last I see of Cafe Husky.

Let the adventure begin!
  7. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

Bwahaha Dude! You thought were were serious?!:lol:

We were just kidding. Didn't you notice this thread started April 1? I mean how gullible are you?

Oh Well, if you're coming all this way, I guess we might as well go for a little ride round the neighborhood.
  8. LRPct Husqvarna
    AA Class

From someone that drove 7,000 miles roundtrip from Connecticut to San Felipe last year to ride.. That's just not funny....Plain wrong...

Nevermind.. it was KINDA funny.. :lol:
  9. Norcalslowpoke Husqvarna
    AA Class

Getting a bit excited finally.

It has been a stressful work week and, frankly, a bit of worry about this trip and being sure the bike is ready.

All packed up & ready to go except my street clothes small bag.

Let me know if anyone needs anything from my meager stash of parts/tools before tomorrow around 6pm. I did pack the multi-size spoke wrench that someone needed. 916 seven one 8 1488

I did bring an extra XL dirt helmet.

Zack, our driver, is on the way down from Portland right now, he will stay in "Weed", CA tonight, then meet me in Sacramento tomorrow, then we will go to Life in Sepia's (Ed) place in Marin tomorrow, leaving dark early the next day with Mike Kay.

Quick shout out to a few folks: Dan at Motoxotica and Trailtech customer service for some last minute help wiring my new X2 halogen light. This morning Dan kindly gave free advice on a product he did not sell. I owe him a parts order! Another one to Kelly at Motosportz for some quick shipments and a no charge demo/used disk brake guard. One more to Turntech battery, for a super quick ship. It is tough running a small moto parts business, margins are low, hours are long and idiots call/email on Christmas Eve with dumb questions....support these guys.

woo hooooo!

Merry Christmas
  10. Yossarian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hi all, this is Yossarian's wife with an update. Due to the blizzard, BentAero and Yossarian didn't meet up in OK City, they're both on their own. Yossarian is nearing Albuquerque and on track to arrive in LA on time.

BentAero isn't faring as well, he's slogging slowly through Texas, been stuck turning around when a semi blocked the road and had to dig himself out, among other things. Right now he's east of Abilene, targeting Tucson, but has a long way to go.

That's the update for now -- here's hoping BentAero can get out of the muck and make up some time. Never leave a man behind!

More later...
  11. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thank you very much for The Update. Sounds like a couple guys who need to get away from the snow!!!
  12. Yossarian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    another update

Mrs. Yossarian again. Yo has stopped in Grants NM and will wait for BentAero there (Bent is in Pecos). Yo had a little issue with his cycle on the trailer, but should be able to get 'er fixed. Once BentAero arrives (late tonight/early tomorrow), they'll load up Yo's bike in Bent's trailer and head west to Santa Ana. I'm sure they'll call the shop if something happens and the 2pm arrival time is in jeopardy.

Meanwhile, still a big blizzard here in the 'Ha. Good times. Can't wait to to get to Cabo.
  13. life_in_sepia Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for the update, Mrs. Y. See you in Cabo. Looks like the weather is gonna be perfect in Baja!!!
  14. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

This is going to be EPIC!

The trip has not even started and already there is carnage.:smirk:
  15. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    12 RS520, CRF150F/230F, YZ250
    Geezo, that's one way to look at it. If I can, I'll be down to Up-tite to wish you all well and safety tomorrow. :thumbsup:
  16. SepticSkeptic Husqvarna
    B Class

I was supposed to have gotten an email w/ the sat phone number and free texting details via email from the guy whose shop I'm renting from, but I guess he flaked. I'm supposed to be picking it up tomorrow, I'll get the info to those that want it ASAP. Xymotic, hope you don't mind, I've shared your SPOT link w/ immediate family so they can follow our progress. :thumbsup:

I'm planning to be at Uptite by noon.

As a guy who never gets excited 'til the last minute, I'm officially excited. :D The last week has ddrrraaaaggggggeeeeeddddd oooooooooonnnnn. See you all soon.

:applause:

Thanks for the updates Mrs. Yossarian.
  17. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hope I don't mind? Hey just cuz I posted it publicly on the intergoogle don't mean I want people tracking me! What if one of your family members is "the man" I don't want no heat from the man... man.

btw if anybody else wants to track progress the link is tinyurl.com/xymotic
  18. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

I just spoke to Yossarian,

He's in grants NM. which is about 710 miles out. BentAero is 2 hours behind him. So they'll be having a bit of a long day tomorrow!

At least they will be meeting up tonight so they can alternate driving duty a bit.

I feel kinda bad that these guys are coming for a practical joke. I didn't have the heart to tell him.:lol: Looks like I gotta go to Mexico now just to save face.:excuseme:
  19. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

20. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

I know it's probably poor form, but I started a RR on ADV: HERE

Don't worry, I'll be cross posting all the pix and stuff here as well.

As to my uncouthyfullness.... deal with it.:lol