Husky Trip to the Tip

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by Mike Kay, Aug 13, 2009.

1. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Woo-hoo! Right on, Xymotic :applause: Sounds like you guys are having a great time! Say "hi" to everyone for me, and thanks a ton for the updates! It's nice to know you all are doing well:)

WoodsChick
  2. Up-tite Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Now at San Javier mission built in the 1700's. When they leave there will follow stream for 25 miles and if any water will cross it 15 - 20 times some places bottom of tank deep 50 to 100 yards across lots of boulders so can be tricky.
    Good for the early start today as it is beautiful in there. Photo OP'S everywhere. Later George
  3. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    It's very kind of you to let us know what they may be seeing along the way. Sort of a travelogue. :thumbsup:

It appears they reached La Paz about 8:20 Pacific time, 920pm their time. Just in time for a meal and refreshments to ring in the New Year.

:cheers:
  4. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Greetings from La Paz!

We decided to come into town for new years. Its actually kinda dead...but its nice and balmy and warm and clear. Coconuts swaying above. Love it.

The ride has been fun. My impressions are that once again the folks who ride Huskys are just good people. Second is the 610 is the best baja bike. Third is the Mexicans are determined to pave and grade every road on this gorgious penninsula. Paved to San Javier and Gonzaga, well not yet, but they are working on it. Graded all thru the mountains. What used to take 4 or 5 hours is now just 90 minutes. Vanishing baja or just the dreaded progress.

Tonight the guys are drinking a beer and ringing in the new year.

Im going to sleep.

La Paz to Todo Santos to Cabo and the end of the ride are already here. It goes so fast, dont it...

We stoped every 3 miles for pics. Im sure there will be plenty posted soon enough. :thumbsup:
  5. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

George, they are taking away Baja, surely and completely.

The pavement from Puertocitos iis prgressing rapidly. The road to San Javier was probably 3/4 or more paved. :confused:

very pretty, the stream was only a foot or so deep at max, but you're right a very pretty area.

We all made it somewhat safely to La Oaz, but there was drama. You'll have ot stay tuned to find out.
  6. JimO Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TE 450, '08 TE 510, '10 TXC 450
    Good job guys wish I were with ya. Cant wait for some photos of San Javier, by far one of my favorite places in Baja. Only have memory of the place racing through in BK1. Getting wet for miles among the palms.
    C ya Jim.
  7. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    12 RS520, CRF150F/230F, YZ250
    Looks like they made it. Now we shall wait on photos. Hope all is well, Happy New Years Baja Brethren!
  8. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Looks like a nice place to stay! :thumbsup:

Near the marina and everything.

:cheers:
  9. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ya, we all made it alive in one piece. Anything happens from now on it was a bar injury.
  10. letitsnow Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600F4
    Enjoy guys!

It is -26 F here in MN right now... :eek:
  11. Yossarian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Multistrada 1200 Enduro; Tiger 800XC
    When is the chase truck and trail moving up to Cabo Azul (San Jose) and when is it moving out to go north?

Thanks!
  12. life_in_sepia Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sunday morning _-- Mike is in San Jose with the truck/trailer. He is picking up Zach at 6am on the 6th in front of the Bahia in Cabo for the treck north.
  13. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I'm not sure what may be happening... but today is Sunday January 3rd.
  14. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

OK, boys and girls.

There was a bar injury, people were hurt, some worse than others.:cool:

One Victim was the fishing trip... The Trip has now been scheduled for monday @ 6 am.
    Seriously you guys, you HAVE to come it is going to be a blast. They caught a few Wahoo today.

From the El Presidente hotel, head up the hill, take the first right until you get to Benito juarez st. Turn right and follow the signs to the marina office/restaurant.

The boat is in R26 and the restaurant is called 'the container' it's a green shipping container.
  15. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

So from Tecate we hit the road
    [IMG]

I missed a great shot, here we were a bunch of guys in full gear on dirt bikes riding on the highway, and then we pass these guys riding 2 up on a street bike in the dirt.
    We pulled over so the ladies in the truck could start riding and theses "real" bikers passed us on the highway
    [IMG]

The guys got to work lifting bikes, while I stayed back 'documenting" the work.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

A short time later these two ADVer's rolled up and chatted for a bit
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Finally we hit the dirt and took off toward Rancho Santa Veronica
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  16. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    You pics did not show up?

I put one of the links into to the browser manually and got this:
    Security Violation

The action you attempted is not permitted.

Back to the Gallery
  17. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks,

I seem to have totally crashed my image server. I'm over it and going to smugmug. It's going to take me a while to get things sorted.

18. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

So from Tecate we hit the road
    [IMG]

I missed a great shot, here we were a bunch of guys in full gear on dirt bikes riding on the highway, and then we pass these guys riding 2 up on a street bike in the dirt.
    We pulled over so the ladies in the truck could start riding and theses "real" bikers passed us on the highway
    [IMG]

The guys got to work lifting bikes, while I stayed back 'documenting" the work.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

A short time later these two ADVer's rolled up and chatter for a bit
    [IMG]

Finally we hit the dirt and took off toward Rancho Santa Veronica
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  19. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

I had a few technical glitches with my gear this trip! We had a quick bite at Rancho Santa Veronica.
    [IMG]

I was mistaken thinking it would ALL be on dirt. we did connect the dots with some pavement runs.
    [IMG]

Anyway the ride turned rough when we hit the goat trail.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

These are the easy parts because I just could not stop for pics in the hard bits.

Got my first taste of night riding ever, IT was BITTER cold, and my heated gear controller crapped out on me. I have mixed feelings about heated gear. It sure is nice, but it's one more thing to fail. Fleece don't break.
    If I was alone I would have taken the fairing apart and wired up the jaket direct. But we were on a schedule so I froze with the others.
    [IMG]

our only stops were for others to catch up...
    [IMG]

On the dry lake we had the first wipeout as John hit a rut and had a bit of a wipeout. He might have fractured a thumb but he pushed on.
    [IMG]

Then we crossed a dry lake and a lot of deep sand, at night. Many complained but I have to say the Lynx HID was fantasic and I really enjoyed my first night run, even though it was COLD!!

We got to San Felipe and I broke out the beers I'd been carrying with me all day. These FF's never stopped to take a beer break all day so I decided I didn;t need to carry that much weight no more!

We hit the restaurant and had a proper dinner:
    [IMG]

[IMG]

We locked up the bikes in the courtyard and hit the hay
    [IMG]

Septic Skeptic got odd man out and vollunteered to sleep on the floor. Fortunately I'd brought some camping gear so he had to go to work.
    [IMG]
  20. life_in_sepia Husqvarna
    AA Class

The trip was a great time for me. I owe a big thanks to Mike for making it happen.

George was a huge help to us in prepping the bikes – many thanks, George! (also, the LED light worked extremely well, and got a lot of use – don’t leave home without it!)

As one of the least talented riders on the trip, I can say that, while most of the terrain was pretty high-speed stuff, there were some difficult sections for me. I slowly came to terms with my fear of deep sand, culminating in an epic 10+ mile, 50+ mph blast down virgin beach with beautiful blue waves lapping at the tires’ edge and the sun dropping low in the sky over the Pacific. Postcard perfect in every way.

I have no pictures, just hugely positive memories.

Good people. Good times. Thanks again, Mike. And thanks again to the team – superb trip in every way. Ed