Husky Trip to the Tip

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by Mike Kay, Aug 13, 2009.

1. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

:applause:That's the right 'tude :thumbsup:
  2. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

Mike, I have a question:

Can I meet up with the chase truck prior to LA to dump some crap I don't wanna carry on the bike? (oil, xtra tools & probably a duffle?)
  3. BentAero Husqvarna
    A Class

I don't mean to speak for Mike (I'm not) but I know he's busy and hard to reach some times. FWIW, I know he'll be stopping at George's in the late afternoon of the 26th, then heading to San Clemente to retrieve the trailer, then heading for the border.

If you can't meet up with Mike prior to the 26th, can you get your stuff to George's where it can be picked up?

I'll be stopping at George's that afternoon, and either leaving a vehicle there, (and riding with Mike) or following Mike to his brothers house in San Clemente and leaving the car there. One way of the other, one of us could get your stuff to the 'truck'.
  4. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yeah, I'm in LA so getting to uptite is no problem. I'll plan on going down there the afternoon of the 26th too. I wouldn't mind meeting some of you anyhow.
  5. Up-tite Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Can't do the full trip to the tip. Have several projects about to finish up on and won't have the time to properly prep for it. Along with some personal issues, so hate to say it but am bowing out at this point in time. Later George
  6. BentAero Husqvarna
    A Class

Sorry to hear you won't make it George, that's a bummer. Will you be along at least part way?

For the rest of you, you only have:

Five weeks! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
  7. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

You can drop it off ahead of time. PM me for directions, etc.
  8. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Fingers crossed your stuff comes together in time to join us.
    If ya cant make it, then just ride the northern sections, and then plan on next year.

We'll send some pics of the coconut palms at Playa Lobos, Todos Santos. :)
  9. BCVisin Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have talked to Mike Kay about all of this, and I feel that there has been a lot of miscommunication regarding this trip. All of the information I had was not up to date. I am not sure weather I am or am not going at this point.

-Blake
  10. Norcalslowpoke Husqvarna
    AA Class

Blake

I don't know you but I do understand you concerns about the trip. Shit could/will happen.

I'm trying very hard not to underestimate the length of the trip and the potential for serious problems. I've been going over the bike and getting tools/parts organized for weeks. I think (hope..) most riders on this trip, based on the posts, understand this ride is not a trip to the coffee shop.

I'm ready for bombing down the highway to make up for lost time, on occasion if needed.

Question: What changed in the last 4 days? On the 19th you committed to the fishing trip in Cabo.

Anyway, I hope you change your mind :thumbsup:

Maybe getting a comfort level with the rider personalities/preparation might help. Maybe everyone on the trip can post up their experience.

Me:
    I might be the least experienced on the trip. 43 years old, couple little kids. Been riding off road, pretty occasionally, for the last 6-7 years, street for 15+ years, never raced. Done a lot of organized dual sport trips. Been on a few 2-4 day trips with 150+miles a day, mostly off-road. I ride fairly slow to moderate, well within my skill level, very risk averse, but I do like to get started early, and keep moving. I really take it easy on blind corners. My main goal is to avoid crashing. Done some traveling in Central/South America, not on a bike, speak basic, very basic spanish. Not an expert, but pretty ok with bike repairs. Bike will have new synthetic oil, new moto z desert tires/hdtubes/chain and a long shake down run at the local OHV park, right before the trip.

Regardless of Blake's decision, how about everyone post up something similar?

Cheers
  11. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well I have to say I share a lot of the concerns previously posted. My biggest fear is that riding with a group that includes Mike Kay, who I understand has raced in Baja and Dakar, I am afraid I will be in way over my head.

I'm much like Norcal Slowpoke in my comfort level, I'm not planning on racing the Baja 1000, if it gets too hairy for me I will bail and ride mex 1 down.

I've ridin with 2wheelsgood, and I know he's a good rider. I hope you guys will look at a couple ride reports and let me know if you think I'm not up to it.

In particular http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523209

My bike's a 2008 610 with 5k miles on it. HOWEVER, I did punch a tiny hole in the case on that trip. It's been fixed with Quicksteel, and I'm not going to replace the cases ($1600) I'm telling you it's Kharma for me suggesting we needed a bike inspection.

If you guys think that's a deal breaker let me know, no hard feelings.

I'm in LA, I'd love to meet up with any of you and do a local desert pre-ride OC San Diego, Barstow whatever... between now and the start pick a Day and I'm there.
  12. Yossarian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Multistrada 1200 Enduro; Tiger 800XC
    Wow. I hope I didn't spend thousands of dollars on a trip that won't happen. I suppose I can cancel my family's hotel reservations in Cabo, but the plane tickets for my wife and sons are already paid for and are nonrefundable, as is my ticket from Cabo to LAX. Not to mention the bike preparations that I have been carefully making for the last month. Blake, I do sincerely hope you reconsider. And please don't view this as your participation making or breaking the trip, but not having a chase vehicle driver really throws a wrench into the works.

As for me, I'm 47, been riding since age 15. I'm a street and track rider who got back into offroad a few years ago. My offroad skill level is medium, and I have no illusions about keeping up with Mike should he decide to rip it for a time. I'll run the pace that will keep me upright and functioning. I'll have a full spate of protective gear, water & tools, spare items, GPS, and an '08 TE610 that will have new chain, oil, sprockets, and tires on it to start the ride.

I'm coming from Omaha to make this trip. Another member here is driving all the way out from North Carolina for this adventure. I'm sure we are all adults and realize that we are not guaranteed a Disneyworld type experience on this ride. There may be issues, there may be obstacles, and there may be adversity. All of that is expected and I'm ready and willing to deal with it as it may come.

Y
  13. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm still very much "in" unless costs skyrocket. I have no job so lots of time but not much $$. If push comes to shove I would drive so you guys can go if it comes to that
  14. Yossarian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Multistrada 1200 Enduro; Tiger 800XC
    xymotic, that's a very generous offer, and I hope it does not come to that. But don't forget to bring your bike and gear, because if for whatever reason my bike becomes disabled or unusable I'd definitely take chase truck duty.

Perhaps we should get a show of hands of folks willing to take a day as the truck driver, if it is necessary to split this duty between the ride participants. I'll volunteer to pull a shift. Just don't make me back the trailer up in a tight space. ;)
  15. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

If we're gonna do shifts I call dibs on the truck for the really nasty not fun parts!
  16. Norcalslowpoke Husqvarna
    AA Class

No, I get dibs on driving the truck on the hero sections...:) I will drive a day or two if needed.

Also, I'm working on a plan "b" driver. A guy I know has been to baja 15 times (non moto dude), that could drive if his expenses are paid for. He loves Baja, just wants to have one free day in LaPaz on the way back.

Lets get this thing organized tight, right now, to reduce the stress.

Cheers
  17. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

I don't think you understand how "dibs" works:p
  18. Norcalslowpoke Husqvarna
    AA Class

ok you can drive the TRUCK, on the nasty sections...:)
  19. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Everything else aside. If anyone is driving Mike's truck make REAL SURE there is air in the shocks and the left/right are (sorta) equal - 50psi? 75psi? don't remember. In February I had to drive that about 3mph just to keep it upright while we were in Baja. The left had some and the right did not, or vice versa. Mike failed to mention that to me.

The valves are real close to the license plate in the bumper as I recall.
  20. Norcalslowpoke Husqvarna
    AA Class

a possibility:

http://www.bnm.com/cabaja.htm

crew cab with towing possible, see bottom of page..includes insurance.