Husky wins CycleWorld Euro DS Shootout

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Darkside, Aug 28, 2009.

1. 7point62 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 Kawasaki TR250
    If I read it right it's because the Aprilia's affect the riding position, while the Husky feels a lot skinnier.

Good to see our favourite bike coming out on top of course! :thumbsup:
  2. terryth Husqvarna
    B Class

I thought the big comparo last year that the husky didn't win was the dirt bike comparo against the off-road models and that the Dirt Bike editors and writers could care less about stuff like the durabilty of the street legal equipment that the ktm took a big hit with or with having to dial in the jetting for different altitudes for a carbed bike. Was there another street bike magazine comparo? From everything I have read about the BMW in streetbike or offroad magazines so far, it takes a bike hit for the odd handling and feel, though the motor is a hit. I wouldn't mind a free promational BMW 450 though. I have sat on one and the seat is so hard, you can't even indent a fingernail into the surface.

3. terryth Husqvarna
    B Class

Set your broswer zoom to 75% and the inages are perfect for reading :applause:
  4. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    who were the testers.

PS the Aprilia is very cool but very wide
  5. mxracernumber1 Husqvarna
    A Class

I'm glad someone has enough sense to know that the TE is a top-shelf machine. There are those out there who just don't like the low-advertising budget of companies like Husqvarna even if the have a good product; I'm not naming any names, but it rhymes with Smirt Rider.

Anyway, the downside to this is that it got the award for best dual-sport, when in fact, (and I'll be the first to admit) it's a terrible choice for a d.s. ride, as are all of those bikes. My straight form the dealer TE is faster than a modded CRF in both accelleration and top speed, has better brakes and suspension and does not require $1,500 worth of mods to carry racing. On the road, it wants to wheely in any gear, eats rear tires and wants to be ridden at 10,000 rpm all the time as if there really is no where to stop it. It never really levels off and just cruises. I have to be careful all the time because whtever rpm it's at, it's still in the power. Most bikes that are this good off-road are just that bad on the road and so is the case here. Just like the tires 10% on, 90% off! Damn! Sounds like a great dirt bike doesn't it? That's because it is a great dirt bike-not so much a great dual sport. However, I already got my wife prepped for my new ride next year-2010 TE-610. I got a great dirt bike this year and a pretty good dual sport (WR-250, needs more power). Next, year, I'm getting a great dual sport.
  6. 7point62 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 Kawasaki TR250
    I never really thought about it when I read the article, but I think you're on to something. The TE 450 has a massive off-road bias and it's hard IMO to get a decent gearing compromise for tar / dirt so I either just have to try and plod on the road sections, or put up with scary-fast gearing on the messy stuff. I also feel that a dual sport should possess a half decent headlamp and tank range. I'm not whinging as I do most of my dirt riding close to home, so I can live without the niceties. :)

Dualsport means by it's very nature that often you'll be seeking unfamiliar trails. Competition bikes can require a fair level of commitment in riding style - unless you're a pretty good rider it's hard to square these two things.

Just my $0.02 :cheers: