Husqvarna Concept Baja

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Ex HVUK, Nov 13, 2012.

1. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

it's probably because the baja is lacking any "element" of the old husky bikes, or old dirtbikes in general.
    - it does not have "old-style aesthetics" (this bike does, for example).
    - it does not have "old-style technology" (a twin-shock concept and a conventional fork would have made a big difference; see this bike, for example).
    - it does not have the "old-style performance and fun factor" (with the 449 engine, it would).

the only similarities between the "baja concept" and the "400 cross" are the fuel tank color and graphics. i do not really see the "design role model" that marketing claims, so i can't really understand why they chose this name.
    naming this bike "baja" is "preloading" the opinion/impression of the bike with so many emotions and expectations, which the bike cannot fullfil:
    there's a photo in the "mcqueen's machines" book that shows him on a 400 cross at the elsinore grand prix. the text to this photo is: "the two-stroke husky had recently appreared on the scene, sporting a massive amount of power and superb stabilty [...] thanks to these fast and sturdy swedish bikes, the days of the four-stroke desert racers were numbered". i doubt that the "baja 650" will make anyone wanting to ride in the desert bare-chested :D

if they would have called it "scrambler", then everybody would have looked at the bike differently.

r
    boisedave and organ donor like this.
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Thanks rasputin. The bike in the first link does look quite interesting, perhaps they should hire that guy. :cheers:
  3. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

the design sketch in the first link is from oberdan bezzi's blog. i was always hoping that husky one day would offer that as a "kit" for the 450...
    the real bike in that link was built by krugger, a custom bike builder from belgium. ask him, maybe he will offer a kit...

r
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yep, right on target.
  5. rajobigguy Administrator

So if they just named it something different you guys would have more affection for it?
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    No but I think there would be less confusion for the uninformed public.
  7. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Not sure what you mean exactly by 'uniformed public' unless you are thinking about some marketing angle gone bad and the correct people did not see the bike in the correct light..

I'd be more in line of thinking as long as the bike was seen by many AND the bike appealed to them, someone will buy it and make it work for them regardless ... (No bike is perfect for its intended usage) ... Sort of like the TC250 that got into the woods ... The TC has appeal and great performance across many boards ... you just gotta want that ~exact appeal and performance to make the purchase.
    rajobigguy likes this.
  8. rajobigguy Administrator

I'm pretty sure that no one is marketing this bike as a Baja ready racer and I'm pretty sure that no one is going to be looking to buy one for that purpose. If you don't like the syling of the bike thats one thing (beauty is in the eye of the beholder) but it's not like this bike is replaceing any of the more capable off road machines, it's something else in the line up that wont cost much to bring it to fruition and might appeal to a some people.
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    My simple point is calling a bike "Baja" that is clearly not built for "Baja" might have made a lot more sense calling it a scrambler which is what it is and looks like. Really makes no difference to me. I have had several KTM friends ask me WTF they called it a "baja" for and then made all sorts of jokes and getting one to race Baja. Thats all I am saying.
    rajobigguy likes this.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Fine with me, was simply thinking it made more sense to call it closer to what it is. Really makes zero difference to me.
    rajobigguy likes this.
  11. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I agree with those points.

I really do not think the bike as pictured in post #1 will be for sale in the present form.
    rajobigguy likes this.
  12. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    They remade the dodge charger with really nothing in common with the old one and it sells. If they are letting it go into production, it will sell. I think it's a cool looking bike. Might get one after I get the terra, tc449, and 165 lol.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I sold a bunch of bikes recently to get the TR650, TE511 and WB165 and am as happy as a clam with my most versatile setup. Oh, you want to ride that stuff, perfect, grab appropriate bike and head out.
    rajobigguy and Coffee like this.
  14. mario33 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra'13 - Lady in Red 2
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
  15. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    This would be fun with a 449, course you'd have to modify the intake a little.
    [IMG]
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I drew this up really quick as a joke (notice cylinder) when the bike first came out and everyone was I wish it was like this or i wish it was like that.

[IMG]
  17. Caffeineo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Husaberg FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Beta Evo 300, 2016 Sherco X-Rid
  18. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

If I don´t look .... maybe it´ll just go away.