Husqvarna recommends Castrol.

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by XLEnduroMan, May 30, 2009.

1. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Just as long as it ISN'T GTX. Which is a very cheaply made oil for the masses. I have seen too many engine failures from running GTX which is not a motorcycle oil. Castrol does make some very good motorcycle oils. Use them.
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Why yes, I do use GTX in my cars/trucks. About 2M miles, no engine issues.

I keep trying different brands in the bike though.
  3. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    I try different brands also in my bike ... I'm all about mixing and try to stay at 40wt && 50wts ... 1 L < synthetic or synthetic blend >, <1 L rotella 40wt > now ...

I did see some castrol premium 4t here for about ~$3.00 ... might try a L of it one day ...
    I'm going to the SS filter next time also :)

Update: I was privileged enough to meet the 'god father of dirt biking' in the Philippines yesterday and he is using Castrol Power1 in his bikes and I'm heading in that direction also on my next oil change :) ... SS filter installed and working well on day 1 :banana:
  4. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    GGEC 250 Honda RC51 CBR 1000rr CR125

Castrol GTX got a bad rap(long ago) during the transition from leaded to unleaded fuels and contributed to what was once called "black death"....or major sludge formation :eek:

Something to do with the additives in the unleaded fuel that reacted to castrols formula....I'm not a chemist :excuseme: but posts like this one clearly shows bad memories never die....I have to admit...I have advised many folks over the years to stay away from it....

I'm sure its a good product after all these years
  5. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I wore out 2 cars on GTX ... both over 300,000 miles ... I gave my son one of them and he drove it till he tired of driving it ... 325,000 miles or so ... Changed the oil every 5-6000 miles ... This was highway miles at 60-70MPH mostly ...

Never heard about the black death issue ... I did see John Force advertising (racing) the product very well on TV but then who knows what oil is in a funny car ....
  6. MXRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Yamaha YZ250F
    thats funny, I didnt know they changed the 2010 manual and said to run 10w50. for the past 5 months Ive been going out of my way to order the 10w60 because its what was recommended, but I guess now Ill just get 10w50 as its cheaper and more readily available.

you can get Mobil 1 4t motorcycle oil for about half the price of Motorex 4t (and many other oils).

about the Rotella diesel oils, an oil analyst and tester recently said that within the last 2 years Shell reformulated that particular oil with more friction modifiers and it might not be the best for motorcycles anymore. he said the change had to do with the ultra low sulfur diesel fuel switch, and how it causes more problems in diesel engines. I wish I could find the article on it.
  7. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Interesting as everyone says the bottles now carry a 'MA' rating which means motorcycle safe ....
  8. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I guess BP needs to increase revenue. The Castrol premix I was using went from $8 a quart to $14! Time to look for another option.
  9. Up-tite Husqvarna
    Pro Class

MA rating means engine and trans are using same oil for lubrication, therefore it has to to meet a different criteria to have this label (MA), or can say built to do both. Important spec.
    Later George
  10. Up-tite Husqvarna
    Pro Class

And only has to work for 4 seconds. With the millions of sponsorship money I'd run anything for 4 seconds.
    Later George
  11. MXRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Yamaha YZ250F
  12. jlk_250 Husqvarna
    A Class

The ones with friction modifiers for automobile use are rated API Energy Conserving. Shell is just saying that the synthetic saves energy over the non-synthetic Rotella, I assume because it is a thinner viscosity. It is not an "Energy Conserving" oil.

And it looks like the synthetic Rotella T6 has the MA rating, which is good. The non-synthetic does not.
  13. MXRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Yamaha YZ250F
    oh ok, I got the 2 mixed up then.
  14. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:

Right and what ever a funny car needs is far from what a car or bike needs ... I would seriously doubt they use the same stuff we use off the shelf ...
  15. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    We were running only Motorex 10w/60 since the first oil change(s). Switched to Shell Rotella T6 synthetic last winter. Both bikes have SS filters, mine since new. Still running the T6 and plan to stick with it. I am not a scientist or mechanic, but I can not tell any difference between to 2. Never did find the recommended Castrol locally.
  16. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Castrol is owned by BP?
  17. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yup. I think they own Torco and many others also.
  18. mrblah Husqvarna
    A Class

it's probably due to bmw, they have the same castrol oil agreement for the cars