1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Husqvarna WR125 or KTM 150XC

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by firedog55, Jan 13, 2014.

1. firedog55 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 CR150
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yam WR450F, Tri. S3, BMW K12, VTR
    Hey guys,
    New to the forum, guys over at Thumper Talk said this is THE PLACE for all things Husky.

Anyway the title says it all. I've been looking for a light weight for single track use, I'm tired of wrestling my WR450F. I grew up racing smokers in MX and CC in the early days, and understand the technique required to ride a tiddler in the woods. I'm 5-10, 185, 58 yo. I've narrowed it down to the '13 WR and the '13 XC.

WR Pros: XC Pros:
    -Cost $4000 - better dealer network, future parts and support
    -144cc kit - aftermarket parts availability
    -Very few bikes available - more bikes available
    WR Cons: XC Cons:
    -Availability - Cost $6400 ('13), $7200 ('14)
    -Future brand support - I don't drink Orange Koolaide

So, Is the WR dependable in the long run, quality of components (sprockets, chain, nuts/bolts etc.). I've read about the plastic radiator shroud tabs. Another concern is aftermarket support. Both bikes will need skid plate, shark fin, disc protector, radiator guards, and spark arrestors.

Also the MX versions of both (CR, SX) are more available and a little cheaper, but they have smaller tanks, no kickstand, 19" rear wheels. I under stand the WR is tuned a little more for woods riding than the CR.

I look forward to your opinions. Thank you for your replies in advance.
  2. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    The Husky 125/144's seem to here ally reliable. To me the biggest bonus to the Husky is the 165 kit if you ever want to upgrade. And with the price you can get them at, you'd still walk away with more money.
  3. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    My advice would be to get a Cr and go to a 165 kit with 200 pipe - so 4k + 1k = 5 k +get a kickstand tab welded on . + flywheel weight maybe . I think you will have trouble re adjusting to a 125 and tuning is more problematic . 165 just goes and better for point and squirt . WR ignition isn't as good as CR IMO and from what Ive heard. Wr 165 would be quite good though.
    Cr 144s are also damn quick too.
    Ive had three over last 4 years and never had any issues with anything apart from fork seals on an 09 and I think that was due to the fork alignment .
  4. Jersey Woods I live to ride !

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 150 2018 TE 150
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM EXC 250 F Honda 300 ATV
    It's all about the type of riding you do and what you want out of a bike. If your a woods rider, then this is a bike that really has it all. If you are a sand rider then you can not ask more out of a bike. These bikes handle like a dream because they are agile and the power delivery is fantastic . I can't tell you about the KTM XC 150 because I never got a chance to ride one. Before I bought my bike a little over a year ago I wanted the KTM but I could not get one here in New Jersey. That's what brought me to this site when I found out about the Husky WR 150. I learned a lot from the members here and I will tell you straight up that I'm extremely happy with my decision to buy this bike. It has made me a better rider because of it with out a doubt.
    huskybear likes this.
  5. cheko7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    85 500CR 94 250WR 04 125CR 10 300WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cagiva WMX 250 88 2/89WMX125s
    Wr 125 2013 awesome bike great reviews cheep fast Fun
    I'd like to get one of my dealer in the box so when my 04 cr 125 is worn out ill have back up
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    the huskys can be had for less than you listed. Is a very reliable bike, probably the most reliable 125 on the planet. lots of parts everywhere both new and used. Ability to do a 125/144/165. Handles fantastic. Both will need suspension done. IMHO the only thing that the KTM has over the husky is more dealers. If you get the husky it comes with a great forum full of people who deeply understand everything about them and are quick to help.
    huskybear, shawbagga, 454x and 2 others like this.
  7. Rob1965 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TXC 310r
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 TXC 310r, 2015 Yamaha 250fx
    I have a 2010KTM 150 XC and it is a great bike. (I tried to get the WR, but could not find any.) I am 48 yrs old and I also have a 2013 Husky TXC 310 which my son fought me over and needless to say the bike is his. If you can find a good deal on the Husky, I don't think you can go wrong. I have to tell you that my orange bike is awesome. Unless you are a super serious competitor, I think either bike will serve you well. BTW, I also have a 2011 YZ 450f which is an awesome bike, but probably like your WR 450, just a bit too much and heavy. Good luck and happy shopping.
    Motosportz likes this.
  8. harleyparts Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Lots and always changing
    I'm new to the newer Husky's as well. I have owned and ridden some vintage ones. 500 Auto is my favorite :) From what I've seen there is some good aftermarket support. I have bought components from Motosportz, 7602 Racing and P3 and the products and customer service have been excellent! When you show up to a group ride or a Enduro and you have an other then orange bike, it feels good to not be a sheeple lol! Really both bikes are great from what I hear (never rode either although I did ride a 2009 CR125. I'm not a 125 guy but the bike was awesome super sharp steering) If you can't try them out first then I say whatever bike you get a better deal on is the right one :)
  9. Drtrider82 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 CR125 with WB165; 13 TC250
    Check out the price of the 14 Husky Cr's at some dealer website's..far less than that and loads of fun!
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Paging Ed...
    woodsrider likes this.
  11. firedog55 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 CR150
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for all the replies. My only real concern with the Husky is parts availability down the road in a few years. I tend to keep my bikes for awhile. I know Husqvarna(KTM) has promised continued support, but in todays global economy that's not very reassuring.

As to the WR vs. CR, is the 19" rear wheel that big a deal? It's mostly a tire selection issue isn't it? The fuel capacity is an issue though. I can live without a sidestand. I would probably never ride either bike as a 125cc but install the 144cc kit from the start. Is the CR ignition that much of a performance increase? Or a detriment to trail riding?

I would be using it on single track trails here in SE Missouri. Our trails are in woods, tight, rocky, and slippery but not very steep, the biggest hill in the state is Tom Sauk, @ 1700' ASL. Most of my riding is from 600' to 1500'.

Most of the dealers I've found with WRs are holding their prices up, CRs are more readily available. Best price on a '13 WR I've found is $3800 on the other side of the country, most are around $5000. I've found new '14 CRs locally for $4000, (BTW the black wheels sure look good).

Thanks again for all of the replies. This website looks to be a great resource, with lots of committed Husky riders.
  12. woodsrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    '18 Alta MXR
    Having just bought an '06 Husqvarna WR125 and having just sold my '06 KTM 125 SX, I think you can't go wrong with any of the bikes you mentioned, they are all a blast to ride, they are all very reliable, they all have decent aftermarket and dealer support. As already mentioned, the KTM has a lot more dealer and aftermarket support. KTM also gets the nod for used parts which I like to buy at times.

For aftermarket, the Husky has been a minor hassle to find some aftermarket parts, but its been more due to my lack of knowledge of who sells what vs does it exist or not. I've owned KTM's for years so I know all the players, know who makes what etc.

My '06 WR125 was practically brand new when I bought it:

[IMG]

Why did I buy a '06 Husqvarna WR125 and sell my '06 KTM 125 SX?

For the mountain single track riding that I do, I wanted more torque out of my 125 while still maintaining the 125 feel of it. Looking into "big bore conversions for 125s", I determined that the Husky 125/144 platform is significantly cheaper to convert to a 165 then the KTM is to convert to a comparable displacement. Also, the Husky WB165 kit is proving to be a very reliable product with great support. The KTM conversions are of various displacements using different mixes of KTM parts and every one of them seemed to be much more expensive then the WB165 kit. Haven't heard of any reliability issues with the KTM conversions, but didn't see any widely available "conversion kit" that had been as thoroughly developed, tested, and used like the WB165 kit. Plus for the WB165 kit, I can place my order for basically the entire kit. With the KTM conversions, guys were sourcing parts from wherever they could find them, sometimes all the parts at once, sometimes parts one at a time.

Additionally, the Huskies are crazy cheap to purchase. I could buy a nice Husky 125, put a 165 kit on it, and still be at, or under the cost of a KTM 125 or 150. Not to mention if I wanted to up the displacement of the KTM 125/150, it would add even more to the costs.

From a cost stand point, it was a no brainer for me.

Plus I know a bunch of the local Husky fanatics out here in the PacNW, so when they rave about their small bore Husky's and I watch their riding videos, I know exactly what they are talking about. And these guys are not lightweights, they ride the wheels off their bikes, so I knew a lot about the Husky before I ever bought it, knew they are very capable bikes, knew they are very reliable, etc.

For reference, I'm an old (53) slow trail rider. Occasional race every once is a while, but its strictly for fun, I'm just not fit nor fast enough to compete. I prefer gnarly mountain single track and I think I'm pretty decent, if slow, at that. I do like to wick it up when I can though.

Regarding the KTM 125 SX. I loved that bike and sold it reluctantly, but only after I had bought the WR, rode it, and confirmed that it was right for me. The KTM freaking ripped on the trails, lugged along the trails just off idle surprisingly well too. I have heard the KTM 150 motor does not have that much more low end torque then the 125 motor, that the gains are mainly mid to top. Friends described it as an angry 125. Not sure how accurate that is, especially for the 150 XC which I would imagine is tuned to be more trail friendly then say the SX model.

My '06 KTM 125 SX was practically brand new when I bought it:

[IMG]

I've always been a fan of Husky's and like riding something different. Bought my first KTM just before they became widely popular, now its a sea of them everywhere I go. Bought the Husky a couple of months ago, haven't ridden it all that much, haven't converted it to a 165 yet, but am loving it, its a great bike. I can't wait to put the 165 kit on it, hopefully this spring.

Again, you can't go wrong with any of the bikes you mentioned. But if you're considering upping the displacement at some point beyond the 144/150, the Husky wins hands down IMO.

Good luck and keep us posted. -Ed
  13. shrubitup Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '00 TE610 (pretty much a WXE610)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FE450, KTM 200EXC, Triumph
    It will cost you about $400 to convert the wheel and buy a 18" tire, $150 for a side stand, another $175 for a bigger tank, and then add $150 for a spark arrestor. So, you could have the CR for $4875. So about $125 less than the WR but the CR is in a higher state of tune than the WR. Some guys convert their WRs to CRs by purchasing a CR ignition. I imagine the WR also has a heavy flywheel so if that's important to you add another $125 and the difference is now gone. :) We still haven't re-valved the CR suspension for trail yet. Add another $500+.

Converting MX bikes isn't cheap.
    sabortooth likes this.
  14. woodsrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    '18 Alta MXR
    I never found it an issue on the trails with my KTM 125 SX, nor with my YZ250 smoker. Tire selection was not a problem for me, plenty of choices out there.

I would strongly recommend that if you buy a 125 that you ride it for a while as a 125. Especially since it sounds like you're not dealing with major elevation changes.

125's ARE SO MUCH FUN! Ride the freaking wheels off it for a bit as a 125. Then pop the 144 kit on it. Would be fun to be able to compare them back to back.

And I know of at least one PacNW guy on here who is keeping his a 125, he prefers the 125 to his buddies 144s and 165s. There is a small part of me that is telling me to keep my WR a 125, its that much fun.
    jmetteer and Motosportz like this.
  15. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    hay nice to see another show me stater ill vouch for everything said in the replies i have the same bikes[09 125sx 12 cr 144] over in the SW corner [45 miles from chadwick] [47 fat slow ngarly single track] and it is a no brainer just get the husky you;ll love it if you dont we will help you fix it and if we cant make you fall head over heels in love with it somebody on here will give you your full asking price for it IMHO btw i talked to Wayne @ LSK today he has a few 449s & 1 just slightly loosened up [ 1 tank of gas] TC250 plus some 310s they need good homes[IMG]
    woodsrider likes this.
  16. woodsrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    '18 Alta MXR
    Ermagerd! I want a big bore 4 stroke trail/ds bike so bad and these Huskies are so freakin cheap! Must stop coming online, must bury head in sand...
  17. shrubitup Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '00 TE610 (pretty much a WXE610)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FE450, KTM 200EXC, Triumph

once in a lifetime. buy now buy now buy now....:doh: there's that cheapie demo TXC511 in Woodinville for $4K. Wow.
    woodsrider likes this.
  18. firedog55 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 CR150
    Other Motorcycles:
    Guys,
    Thanks for all your input. Woodsrider your reply is most helpful. Shrubitup, thanks for the cost break down on CR to WR conversion. I think I'll call on the WR in California, give me an excuse to see my parents. I even got a positive response from my wife!
    woodsrider and Motosportz like this.
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    thanks for chiming in Ed. (woodsrider)
    woodsrider likes this.
  20. woodsrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    '18 Alta MXR
    I was in Woodinville running errands today, could not help stopping in to see that left over TXC 511. Dang, it looks sweet. Ha ha...

Was also eye balling their left over WR125, think its a '12 or '13, they want $5k for it. Seems spendy compared to some of the firesale prices I have seen them going for.