I guess i am going to give it a shot (trials tires)

Discussion in 'Common Items on Husqvarnas: Tires/tubes/grips/etc' started by Motosportz, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I'm not going to, or trying to, convince you. My friends have been telling me for YEARS about them and I always laughed. One ride and I'm pretty convinced. I'm trying a front on Thursday
  2. gandalf Husqvarna
    AA Class

How do you think a trial tire would do in a mix of south jersey deep sand, clay and hardpack?
  3. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    They work great on hard pack, and they do tend to clear out a bit better than a knob due to their flexy nature. As long as it's not deep sloppy mud, they do pretty well.

On the lighter 2-strokes they work really well in sand. They tend to ride on top of the sand, instead of digging in like a knob. You know that wild flexy feeling you get in your bars when ripping across sand at a fairly high rate of speed? That is diminished with a trials tire. On the bigger 4-strokes, though, the trials tire advantage isn't as apparent. They tend to dig into the sand anyway, no matter what is on the rear. We've run them on Eric's WR426 and my KTM 450, and we've run them on every 2-stroke we've owned except my CR125, which has a 19" rear.

They are crappy in deep snow, but if the ground is frozen and/or icy, you will be King.

WoodsChick
  4. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Riding at Stonyford in the higher elevations on some ice that was not easy to stand on my bike with trials tires did surprisingly well, for sure knobbies would have fallen over.

Was solo, not racing, not in a hurry so I did not try to go fast - just trying to stay upright.
  5. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aye, I've had the same experience. Last time I was there in wintery conditions, the only areas that were clear of snow were the big hillclimbs on the eastern edge. It was sunny and icy over there. I was the only one with a trials tire that day, out of 5 riders, and I was at the tops of the hills, Empress Of All I Surveyed, all by my lonesome:D

WoodsChick
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Have I gone completely nutz?

[IMG]
  7. shotgunscott Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    yamaha,suzuki,kawasaki,scorpa,AJP
    Yes, and let us know how the tire works

8. fitness2go Husqvarna
    AA Class

That's some funny stuff right there! I just put on my front Mitas Trials tire on today for GP on Saturday! I was going to give it a quick whirl Thursday at Reiter. They look skinny and silly. What pressure are you going to run...10, same as the rear?

David

9. raisrx251 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Remeber now that to clean a section you can not put your foot down and if both feet go down or you lose forward momentum it's a 5. I have always felt it would not have enough cushion for the rim for the front but it looks pretty good on there. What kind of PSI are you running? On my rear trials tire I am normally running 8lbs. On a trials bike I normally run 4-5 lbs. Makes a huge difference on traction. Has your tube slipped any yet with all that HP?
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    10 front and rear. Rear is holding solid and looks band new. No wear in 63 miles. it is a used Mich. Does not seem near as gewy or pliable on the bike but off it felt like a heavy duty tube :D Truthfully I'm a little scared. But, this is mainly a trail mainatance ride so good time to try it out.
  11. Wetdog Husqvarna
    AA Class

Can't say I've ever seen a trials front mounted on a dirtbike before. Looks lame, wimpy, stupid blah blah blah and my ego would never allow me to mount one on my bike but I am curious to read your outcome.
  12. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    its ok to be little scared just dont get scarred!!
    It (they Trials tires) just looks very old school ("enduro") like that KAW bighorn nifty 350 "enduro" that used to hammer us kids into submission back in the day. Enjoy the ride! R
  13. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ditto!

Just be careful and remember that you'll be pushing the front and you won't have any real knobs to help it stick. I'm sure you know this already, and Coffee has managed to ride a front trials without killing himself yet, so maybe it's no big deal...

Can't wait to hear about it!

WoodsChick
  14. raisrx251 Husqvarna
    AA Class

If you are on a survival run with the snotty slimey slow stuff, try dropping that rear to about 6-8lbs and hold on. It is amazing. I already have a badly dinged front rim but have always thought there would not be enough cushion on the front. With a trials tire on the rear I find myself on rooty hills lofting the front wheel and drive with the rear. I went to the National Hare Scramble in PA with the trials tire and it was perfect for the 1 lap I made. I had one black coal hill that looked like some dump trucks just dumped it and I missed the knobbies on that. The first lap as I came through our pits I felt the rear lose it's air. I thought I made the wrong choice blaming the trials tire but later found a piece of wire had went through the rear mud guard below the air box. This in turn finally caught the side of my tire and ice picked it. Bummer as I would have liked to see how I would have done.
  15. tadgh Husqvarna
    A Class

another person here not convinced on the trials tyre.. put one on the rear and found you cant brake slide the back end around and also you cant drift around the back in corners when the front pushes and you need to throttle steer..but maybe thats just me ..i dont know anyone else riding them here.

i am surprised that people aren't using mousses more though, i ride with mousse tube front and rear, it feels very like maybe 12psi or slightly lower and with a proper enduro FIM tyre like a michelin comp 3 or similar pirelli or metzler tyre. there seems to be as much grip with this set up, maybe not so much on really slimy rocks and roots but that to me is more about technique rather than getting the grippiest tyre possible. The big plus for me is the high speed on fire roads, very predictable drifting ability and being able to back in it agressively into tight turns. i think thats what robertaccio may also be talking about :)..my two cents :)
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Front trials tire worked GREAT. Tracks much straighter than a knob, ignores root wads and rocks and is more balanced with the rear. Now nether end slides out and you can choose any line and hold it. I will report back after getting more fast trail rides on it (this ride i was packing 40 pounds of chain saws and stuff).
  17. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    Arrgh.... you guys are killing me.

Great- there's goes the rent for an 18" conversion and new hides.

Wish they made 'em in a 19 dadgummit!
  18. HomeFinance Husqvarna
    A Class

Dunlop does make a 19. Fitness2go had one on his cr 250 and it worked great!
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  20. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    I did not know that! :eek:

Sweeeeet! :D

Thank you very much, if they exisit....I gotta do some searching.

:cool: