1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc I kick and kick and kick

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by no e-button, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Tommy V Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    GasGas TXT280 trials
    Crap! was going to post a question on deciding between the '12 wr150 and wr300 but after reading this I might have the answer. Im not at all afraid of jetting and know how important it is but my biggest concern with the 300 was starting. I have some knee issues which bothered me a lot more when I owned an 04 CRF250 that had starting fits. I gained about 15 minutes average every enduro when that bike wouldnt start. Just the other day I swore I would never buy any kickstart only bigger than a 150 but I would love to try out a 300 this year. I was planning on getting a Rekluse for it so im sure that would help keep the kicks to a minimum, but on a trail ride I do stop quite a bit.
    I love my 02 WR125 (134) but Im not sure Im as fast as I could be. It feels fast but Im no further ahead of my buddies than if I ride my BMW g450x which is heavy and doesnt turn half as well. We ride a lot of "Erzberg" style trails and the low end torque of the 300 would be sweet but so is the light weight, light clutch pull, easy starting and $1000 less cost of the 150.
    Tough decision, going this Sat to check them out.
  2. braddenning Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 HUSABERG FE 350 ,2014 KTM 300XC
    i was cursing the day a got first got my 11 wr 300 ( couldnt start it !!!), im 52 and have a pair of crfs with E-start. i too do a lot of erzberg technical rock ,so i picked the WR cause it was the lightest 300 out there! but after learning the kick technique and changing over to a JD keihin carb it going well !!! was out all day last Sat. and never gave it more than 3 kicks to get it going.but it hits HARD in the powerband, almost uncontrollable so im adding a base gasket under the cyl. head and a flywheel weight to soften the hit.let you know how it works out .im learning alot about this husky thing and im liking it .thinkin if i had to do all over again i might have got a 250 WR
  3. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Both are great bikes. Don't base your decision on ONE guy's bad experiences. There's plenty of one-kick 300's out there. I owned one but sold it because it was waaaay too much bike for my old-man skills. I also own 2 CR 150's ('11 and '12) and can attest that they are both great bikes. I can also attest that I have to kick my 150's more than I ever had to kick my 300. Again, don't let one negative post influence your decision. The 300 is an awesome bike for those who can take advantage of its potential. The 150 is also awesome... for different reasons.
  4. Enmerdeur Husqvarna
    AA Class

Not to pick a fight or burst a bubble but the 2008 and newer KTM 300's are about 15lbs. lighter than the Husky even with their e-starts. The Husky 300 is the porker among 300's
  5. Tommy V Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    GasGas TXT280 trials
    Thanks, trying not to hijack this thread so I'll prob just start a new one but there seems to be a bit of work to be done to get the new wr150 sorted as well. My 134 is just such an easy bike to live with I dont want to go back to my CRF days.
  6. CelticDude Historically Fast!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    x
    Get the WR150. I've got it all sorted out for you. Mine is awesome! :banana:
  7. Tommy V Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    GasGas TXT280 trials
    That $1000 difference could do a lot in revalving and aftermarket goodies :D
  8. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    My 09 WR250 starts 1st or second kick cold and 1st kick warm unless I start playing with the jetting and get it too rich or lean. The needle height on the Mikuni is super sensitive, 1/2 step makes a big difference which then changes which pilot you need. The up side is that when it's right it rips and starts 1st kick.
  9. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    seriously from brand new, once you work out how to kick it & where(TDC,TDC,TDC) my 300 starts first or at very worst second kick cold & a half arsed kick when hot every SINGLE time! i start it with me left hoof sometimes when needed(i.e. gnarly hillsides that the small 'weird' kickstarter is so handy for!) & that knees been reconstructed & is arthritic! mikuni carb, standard race jetting untouched just idle turned up from stock thats it. i know you fellas in the states have a bit more temp/alt range compared to OZ but the jetting must come way off the mark outta the shops. i dont understand all these starting issues, its so damn easy to start. i cringe when kicking me bros crf450r into life it feels like trying to kick over a D9 dozer compared to the 300 & i end up smashing me shin on the footpeg. as for extreme type terrain youll love that 3 hunges torque, i like the 'erzberg' type stuff too thats why i got the 300, its a mountain goat, nimble, lugs like a champion & would feel like riding a mountain bike compared to the beemer! just good usable power compared to a 250 2T mxer not to mention the donk will last longer in the 300 than the 150. dont get me wrong id love to smash a little 150 around but for trailriding/enduro the torque of the 300s is unbeatable
    windsurf likes this.
  10. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    ktm exc/berg 103.9kg, husky/tm/gasser(kick start model) 103kg aussie specs. my2011. there all much the same. new gasser 102kg(mmm...sacrilicious)
  11. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    whats a wr150 weigh in at krieg?
  12. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    hence im in favour of the 300:)
  13. braddenning Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    the 2012 KTM exc 300 is 277 lbs completely dry ! no fluids at all ! the 300 wr is advertised as 244 lbs no gas ,so what does a 850ml of trans fluid and a quart or so of coolant weight? as far as the husky being a one kick wonder? it aint. i didnt start this thread .
  14. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Not sure the exact weight. I think I've read some posts that range between 210 lbs and 216? You can search on member "vinduro"... he owns and races the WR 150 and I'm pretty sure he's weighed his a few times. Don't take my estimates as fact.
  15. Lincolnlock Husqvarna
    AA Class

What jetting do you have? Mine used to have a really gnarly hit until I leaned it out a bit more. The power is very linear now, but if you want the power it is still very much there.
  16. windsurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

When the jetting is correct the bike always starts in 1 or 2 kicks. I thought the delivery was quite hard but that was when the jetting was off - if it is rich on bottom end the power feels ok but is lethargic and slow, during the mid range the motor would liven up a pull hard. It was this transition that makes you think it is hard hitting. Get the bottom end jetting correct and you will get perfect starting and linear power. Better still put the race head on and have 4stroke power delivery!
  17. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
  18. Enmerdeur Husqvarna
    AA Class

Not sure where you are getting your info. KTM 300 XCW (They don't import the EXC to the states) is advertised at 225LBs. dry

http://www.ktm.com/us/enduro/300-xc-w-usa/technical-details.html
  19. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    apparantly tranny oil & coolant weigh 23kgs. fair dinkum thats about 126kg(277lbs)! you blokes must be gettin the new cast iron engines & solid tyres KTMs bringin out. should go like a shower of shit....DOWNHILL!(best be checkin them brembos mate):)
  20. braddenning Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    227 its a typo