1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc I Think we TOASTED one...

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by pahusky, Jun 27, 2011.

1. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    I am paranoid that they are noisier but I don't think think they are, it runs fine. I beat on it good at the Funky Chicken National hare scramble and didn't have an issue. I bought a set of crank bearings and a complete gasket kit just in case.

Later,
  2. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    wow- them plug pics are night and day different. if it was out of coolant then yer right jetting wasnt the cause. if it's lean enough to squeak it'll squeak before it runs out of coolant, 9/10 times. hopefully it just got hot from being flogged,then scuffed. sorry again for the issues. you boys have been on a roll and i hope ya keep on it!
  3. pahusky Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 250XC '09 1200GSA KLR650
    144 kit installed... all seems good. Kept the old rads on for testing with the shrouds off, just warming things up around the pasture, as expected the left rad was leaking bad. After pulling the rad I did a rough leak test. which is holding your fingers over the spouts and blowing into a hose attached to the crossover tube while the whole thing is submerged in a 5 gallon bucket of water.
    This rad, and one other I had like it, leaked at the spout connection seam to the body of the rad, no visible damage, just looks like bad workmanship! This is a picture of the rad brand and the spout that leaked on both, looks pressed in, not welded! Be carefull...
    [IMG]

[IMG]

So...I had a good set of the original rads from the WR along the with original hose, but don't like how the right side of the molded hose is so close to the pipe. It seems my right rad from a CR is ok. So I used the left WR rad and the right CR rad and hooked them together using a piece of the WR hose. Yea, I had to cut both hoses, but what the he** at this point! Pics of the connector and final install...I think it's going to work just fine...what's 2 more clamps on this crazy setup anyway! I can switch back in the cr hose piece I cut off if I change rads...Options - go figure!

[IMG]

[IMG]
  4. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    good job mister!

mreeeep!
  5. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Thanks for the update!

Are those rads from an 09 CR or WR? Or are they the same?
    I may bring mine to the welders when I strip the bike down for maintenece.
  6. pahusky Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    pc...it seems like they are very interchangeable and will fit different models. The first set I had I bought used was from an '08 CR125 that had the bottom spouts on the inside and and kept the hose off the pipe, they were Alexon and one ended up leaking at the top. The new set I bought were for the '11 WR150, they were Alexon, and had the same configuration of the '08 cr rads and had the bottom spouts on the inside. One of them also leaked at the top. Some are made by a different supplier to Husky but I can't remenber the name...

The original '09 WR125 rads; not made by Alexon, were definitly heavy duty compared to the new ones I bought. The original ones were thicker and had 8 cores and the new, cr ones are thinner with lighter gauge plates and 10 small cores.

Right now I have the 8 core/outside spout on the left side and 10 core/inside spout on the right...

There are a couple of comparison pics in this old thread when I was researching different rads.
    Last time I was at the dealer he had a set of the beefer ones with the spouts on the inside that would bolt up the the '09 frame, I'll see if I can find out what bike he ordered them for.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/08-cr125-radiators-on-a-09-wr125.16206/

But back to your statement...yes, get them welded at the spout seams and tack welded at the side plate to bottom plate locations...this all looks kind-of pressed together. It should really lengthen the life for your rads and give a little peace of mind about the 'toasting' part...
  7. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I got a set off an 02 WR125. The rads themselves are identical to the 09 WR125 rads except for the spout alignments that are the same as your 08 CR125 rads. Quite heavy duty and eliminate the issues with the outside spout. Oh ya, they only cost me $50 shipped and were straight and clean.
  8. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    i didnt think you could weld them things...solder maybe? i dunow....man that would be a tricky weld!
  9. pahusky Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Wally, that's a great find!

pv...Yea, welded is a pretty generic term for joining metal...

Check this guys web site and services provided. I have see these in person on a friends YZ125, very impressive!
    http://www.icwbikestands.com/Site/Radiator_Repair.html

I know there are a couple of more shops out there...anybody have any names/websites?
  10. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    oh man that's cool. meylers and guys like that are nothing short of amazing what they can do with a wadded rad.
  11. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Keep us posted on how you guys do!
  12. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I have used race gas mixed between 32 to 40 to 1 since 2006 in a few different Husky cr 125 with stock jetting .Races from below sea level to up around 6 thousand feet with temps from 30 plus to 100 plus Also tight single track in the trees to wide open pinned across the desert for miles .Never lost or hurt a motor .Bikes get new ring every 6 months or about 500 miles new piston every year or 1000 miles .Motors gets new crank bearings about 3 to 4 years ,my 2006 bike is still on the original stock bore. But george at Uptite wants to do a 167 kit .
  13. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    i want that 06!!! i like that old frame bettter than the 09.
  14. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    PA,
    best to do in your hose union area, keep those steel clamp screw tails off the engine case, they will work into the Al mas rapido with the combo of engine vibe, dirt and steel vs alum. Good work
  15. pahusky Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'm with you aj...35 years of two strokes, this is really only the second engine failure; and this one has extenuating circumstances. The other one was a carb knocked loose by an off-track adventure during a race, with some extra air being introduced on the wrong side of the carb...very lean and not very pretty when it went!

rob...I was thinking about that also and will most likely secure a bigger piece of hose under/around the area. The original rubber hose by itself tends to polish the area up, don't want to see what the metal to metal would do! I sent the rads out to be welded and ordered another stock cr hose...but will keep the setup you see as a backup.

Thanks for the tips...