iBeat how-to help needed!

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by motopreserve, Nov 20, 2012.

1. motopreserve Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Versys, Honda: CB550, CL360, HawkGT
    I've been having the neutral light flash issue for a bit now - and thanks to a member here, I ended up purchasing an iBeat setup. The problem is: I have no f%#king idea what I'm doing. It was tough enough to get my brain wrapped around the Windows stuff - but finally got the USB patch installed etc.

Opened up the program and BAM! It's working. Reading throttle position, RPM, etc. I read through the manual (really need to print it out) - but it's all Greek to me. What I was expecting to see, based on the neutral light, was some type of failure reading. But the program shows nothing.

Can someone give me a simple primer to use this thing to tell me what's what? Or point me to a thread that demonstrates how to use it (searching hasn't helped).

While its neat, it's like watching someone ELSE play a video game. :)

Thanks in advance.
  2. motopreserve Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hooked it up again, to see if I could figure anything else out. One thing that struck me as strange is that in the FeedBack Adjustment window - it always lists as 'non-activity.' So I can't change the value of the 3 different settings. The bike is currently set to 98, 100, 100. Not sure if that is best or not (I've read all about changing these values), but not being able to modify the setting seems wrong.
  3. Ex HVUK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    With the Ibeat connected to the bike, click on the 2nd icon along labelled 'Fail Monitor' and that will show you the current and historic faults in the ECU. To clear the faults click on the third icon 'Fail History' and click the 'History Clear' button.

With regards the feedback adjustment, this will vary depending on bike set up (power up kit fitted?) and also which version of the Ibeat software you have:

• Without the power up (so lambda still in) the bike needs to be running and above 40 degrees (from memory) water temp before you can adjust anything.
    • With power up fitted (lambda out) and Ibeat version one, you can't adjust the fuelling without refitting the lambda.
    • With power up fitted (lambda out and Ibeat version two, you use the CO adjustment rather than feedback adjustment.

Hope this helps!

Dave
    Borntoride71 likes this.
  4. motopreserve Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks so much Dave! In my frustration and confusion, I failed to give enough details. My bike is a 2009 TE610 with V3 & power up installed when I got it (I began to question whether connections were incorrect when I couldn't find readings, since I did not install it myself), but let's assume for now it's all working OK. the bike has ridden fairly well since getting it - other than nit-picking tweaks I'd like to make.

The kit I got is the V2.1 software - with the cable attached through the USB patch.

I checked the "fail Monitor" and nothing came up at all. Nothing in the history either. At one point, I did see the neutral light flicker while the program was running - but no change in the windows or the green "fail" button on the main window.

Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree here with the neutral light deal??? It has never flashed while in gear - and only sporadically while in neutral (very rarely the way I have read it described online or in the manual). Would it be telling me if there was an error from previous riding sessions (stored in the ECU), or only while I am testing it thereon the computer?

Regardless, I would like to make use of this diagnostic program since I have it. Perhaps I did not allow the temp to get high enough (I am assuming you were talking about temps in Celsius??) I forget what the temp reading was, but I did not run it very long - and I was outdoors in the winter air. I could have sworn that the CO icon was grayed out - but I will need to check again tomorrow when I go back to the garage. Would that be grayed out if the temp was not high enough?

Really appreciate your help!

Scott
  5. motopreserve Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Dave,

Got back to garage today and hooked up the iBeat again. The water temp went as high as 73 C, but the CO icon remained GRAYED out. Any idea what this may indicate?

Not sure this program is anything but a paper weight right now. No indication of failure in either windows. And no ability to adjust anything but the TPS.

Appreciate your help on this.

Scott
  6. AndrewS Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350s 2013 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 TE250 (sold)
    Sorry for a potentially dumb question, but are you 100% certain your bike is a 2009? If it was a 2008, I believe you wouldn't be able to adjust the CO values.
  7. motopreserve Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Not dumb at all. I was just thinking the same thing - because it has come up with a few windows that say "not with this model" which seems strange for the 2009 and iBeat V2. I am going to check the VIN against the year. The PO and the Title says 2009, but it wouldn't be the first time the DMV was wrong. :)
  8. motopreserve Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    So the number on the Title definitely matches the one on the headstock. The only number I found on the engine (quick look) was upside-down on the head - 00 2 19K9. I found only one place on the web HERE that did a search for the vin, which brought it up as a 2009 also. Is there some other way I should be checking this???

Is it possible I have a different ECU in there? The version that is listed from within iBeat is: 180A008-050502

Not sure what's happening here, but I did notice that on my ride this morning - there was no flashing Neutral light, despite having never shown an error. This gets weirder and weirder....
  9. Ex HVUK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Normally the CO stays greyed out if the lambda is still installed (or the resistor isn't in place?).

Is the FB adjustment active once the bike is warm? (Been a long time since I did one with the lambda in but I think the reading window changes from yellow to blue or vice versa).

Edit: I need to double check CO should be active on TE610. It may be running same ECU configuration as TE450/510 2008 on which the adjustment options were much more limited. Will advise.

Dave
    Coffee likes this.
  10. Ex HVUK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    OK, for TE610 it is only the feedback adjustment that should work, CO is not operational on this ECU version.

Dave
    Coffee likes this.
  11. motopreserve Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Dave, you are really helping me out here. I truly appreciate it! It's definitely a TE610. At least THAT much I know :) I was told by the PO that the full power-up kit had been installed along with the V3 muffler. Maybe I need to check to see that this was done fully/correctly. I will look into the procedure to see how to install this - and then run it backwards to check if it's all in place - unless you have an easier way to confirm/deny this.

When I let it warm up this morning, the FB adjustment just said "non-activity" in the box on the upper left. No matter how long it ran, it never said "activity." The only option I had to adjust was the upper right box for the step %.

And although I rode several times this morning with no blinking Neutral Light, my last ride had it back as annoying as ever! And still no fault/error showing up in the iBeat. The new temp sensor goes in immediately
  12. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    You may need to re-install the lambda sensor in the exhaust pipe. On my 08 TE250 with the early version ibeat I had to re-install and let the bike get very warm before the FB window became active.
    Also maybe your neutral sensor just has a bad connection.
  13. motopreserve Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks Darkside. Are you saying just remove it and reinstall, or get a whole new kit for the Lambda sensor??

Appreciate the help.

Scott
  14. Ex HVUK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Yes as Darkside says, you'll need to install the lambda into the exhaust and plug it in to loom before the FB adjustment will become active.

If there is no fault showing in Ibeat then I'd suggest the flashing neutral light is more likely to be a wiring fault or neutral sensor than an ECU message. The ECU should store all events in the fault history and you can test this by unplugging the temp sensor with the ignition on. You should then see a fault appear in the Ibeat software.

Dave
  15. motopreserve Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Again, thanks so much Dave. At this point I see that a plug has been places in the exhaust (as shown on Rick Ramsey's site. I'm not sure if there is supposed to be wires and connector coming out of that plug??? If so, that's not there. It's just the plug in the exhaust.

I just swapped out the temp sensor just to see if that makes a difference. I've had it waiting for just such an occasion.

[IMG]
  16. motopreserve Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Oh good grief. I just realized that I also forgot to mention that I installed a JDTuner. Is that somehow causing these issues? The tuner seems to be working fine. Not sure if that could be an issue as well.
  17. AndrewS Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350s 2013 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 TE250 (sold)
    That plug is just that... a plug. It fills the hole where the lambda sensor used to reside. So it sounds like you would need a lambda sensor to adjust the FB setting.

Although, since you have a JD Tuner, you should be able to make better adjustments with that since it allows finer control.
    Coffee likes this.
  18. motopreserve Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Andrew, thanks for weighing in.

Folks, I am getting the strong feeling that I now have 2 distinct issues.

1. I must have some type of loose/faulty wiring for the neutral light. I remember it looking a little funky up at the bar/lever end. Even with a new temp sensor, it still blinks now and again (so I can check that off the list). Also, it has never been a regular or steady blinking, always different from any official description of the frequency of flashes I've read. And NEVER when in gear. Now I need to find the Neutral sensor - which I fear is deep in the belly of the beast.

2. Why my iBeat rig is not working. I realize that many (if not all) of my tuning desires could be satisfied by the JDTuner. But now I'm just plain curious. Having not installed the power-up kit myself, who knows what may be lurking in there. Maybe noting, maybe something simple - or maybe it will be good that I dig in and figure it out. At this point, I have it, so it might as well work!

I appreciate all your help I've gotten here on the forum.
  19. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    Wait, if you have a JD tuner, you shouldn't have to mess with ibeat at all.
    I'm not familiar with 610 motors but there should be a gear position sensor behind the shift lever. Remove it, clean it and re-install
  20. motopreserve Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks Darkside. I will get in there and clean/check the sensor next chance I get. I found on the Parts Fiche a part called the "Speed trasponder ass." This seem like what I should be looking for (#13 Below)?

[IMG]