iBeat how-to help needed!

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by motopreserve, Nov 20, 2012.

1. AndrewS Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350s 2013 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 TE250 (sold)
    I would just add that regarding point 2 above, I think your iBeat setup is working properly. Since there (apparently) aren't any fault codes, none are showing up in iBeat.

And since you don't have the lambda sensor installed, you can't adjust FB on your bike. The only real drawback to that is that the default settings on the JD tuner assume that all 3 points are at 100. You might want to get in touch with JD to see what they recommend for settings given your 98 100 100. It will probably be a small variation from default. (For some reason, I thought 2008 bikes only had 1 adjustment point. I must be mis-remembering.)

Also, you are correct about the above diagram.
  2. motopreserve Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Versys, Honda: CB550, CL360, HawkGT
    Thanks Andrew. If I might bug you just a little bit more...

When we say I don;t have the Lambda Sensor, we mean that after the PO installed the Power-Up kit, that sensor is no longer there. If this is correct, then there is no way for the iBeat to do any type of adjustment? I assumed that one feature may be absent (FB) with this set-up, but that others (CO?) would be programmable/adjustable. I may be completely wrong here. If this turns out to be the case, I guess it's really for using to track error codes (which it turns out I must not have).

I'll dig into the neutral light issue as soon as I get my other bike back on the road (these bikes are only/daily transport), see if I can get that pesky light to stop talking to me. Thanks for the clarification.
  3. AndrewS Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350s 2013 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 TE250 (sold)
    Nah, you're not bugging me. We're all here to help each other, when possible.

Yes, when the PO installed the powerup kit, he would have removed the lambda sensor and connected a resistor to the connector that used to connect to the lambda sensor. That resistor lets the ECU know that it should switch to race mode. He probably also removed the catalytic convertor from the exhaust, removed the throttle stop, and replaced the air filter cage with the free flowing version. At least those items were the case for the 250. I assume it was pretty much the same deal for the 610. Oh, you mentioned an exhaust replacement as well.

Normally, if people want to make changes after that, they re-install the lambda sensor, make the changes, and then remove it again.

AFAIK, there is only one type of adjustment that can be made, depending on your ECU. In my case, I can adjust 3 CO values. I was under the impression that others only had 1 FB adjustment, but since you're seeing 3, I'm probably wrong (unless you can only adjust 1 of them?).
  4. motopreserve Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well, I do have the old Lambda sensor. The PO was incredibly thorough with keeping all parts in a box - with labels. Very neat and considerate!

I may think about replacing the sensor for adjustments - to get it back to 100, if JD suggests so. If not, I will live knowing that I tried everything I could to understand this stuff, and with the help of you fine folks here - I sorta do. If nothing else, I truly realize how much better I understand Carbs compared to FI bikes!!! :)

Happy Thanksgiving by the way!

Scott
  5. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    That's the beauty of the JD tuner. Just write down the setting they're at now. Then go ahead and play with it. I would start richening it up and just see how it feels. If you get mixed up, just refer to the original settings. Forget the ibeat. just richen the first setting on the JD to compensate for the 98.
  6. motopreserve Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks Darkside. I guess I was just looking to start from a base setting, so I knew where I was at. I think this exercise has made it much easier to 'let it go' and just enjoy the bike. :) Took a ride down to the Rockaways on southern part of the island (Brooklyn/Queens) to see about lending a hand today. Dropped off some donated supplies, and rode the island a little bit (they were pretty full up with volunteers for dishing out Turkey). Not once did I see a flash on the Neutral light. I'm digging into that sensor/sender unit as soon as I can.