1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Is the 300 right for me??

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Scott Goodman, May 14, 2012.

1. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Funny....I rode my friend's brand new 2012 KTM 300 and I didn't care for it. I mean, yes it was smooth, but it felt heavier than my bike and wasn't nearly as responsive handling in the tight sections. Also, I already own a bike with the kind of powerband the KTM had. It's called a KDX220.;)
    windsurf, ray_ray, Ryan and 1 other person like this.
  2. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I can tame my 250 down by raising the needle 1 clip but don't know why anyone would want to. I think it's much easier to have the instant response when you are trying to clear a log or a step up then to tame it down and have to use the clutch and blip every time. I've never ridden a Recluse or any auto clutched bike so maybe it's different. Also I'm curious did you actually weigh the two bikes on the same scale or is the 9 pound difference info from the brochure? I'd sure like to shed 9 lbs off my bike, especially after adding skid plate, pipe guard, rad guards, bark busters and a steering dampener.
  3. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

im curious about the wr300 even though im happy with the performance and handling of my 2010 300xcw. im getting tired of replacing fork seals.

question for anyone whos done it : who is a good shop to have the sachs shock valved and sprung? and price for the work?
  4. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Sounds like you need to switch brands.
    Gotlabs, Lincolnlock and 454x like this.
  5. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I think the fit of the WR is similar to the old KX250's. The bigger you are the better you'll like it. And if you need more room, everything that you can get to open up any other bike is there for the WR. Tall seat foam, lower pegs, tall bars, etc... If you're handy with your tools, you make these bikes do about whatever you want. If you are clueless to bike set up, look elsewhere, you may be disappointed.

I loved my 300 motor, but I was just to short to start it well. It takes a serious kick to fire a 300 and I just had a hard time starting it. I switched top ends and turned it into a 250 that I can start much easier. If I was as tall as you it wouldn't have been a problem.

A Rekluse just makes them a cheater bike. You won't need a FWW. They'll crawl around nasty stuff like it's nothing. When things open up I'm not sure there is anything really any faster.

You'll even find yourself looking for big hills to climb because it's so easy. You won't long for your 450 because miss the power.
    ray_ray likes this.
  6. braddenning Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 HUSABERG FE 350 ,2014 KTM 300XC
    dont get my wrong , im not knocking the bike , i did switch back to a 4-stroke. the wr300 is just not for everyone . as far as durability ,quality parts and ease of maintenance its hard to beat,i just cant get hold of all that power
  7. mfathke Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 CRF250R, 2006 CRF150F, 2006 KTM
    Wow, I am 6', 190 lbs., my 2009 WR 300 with Rekluse and JD Jetting PWK, is sooo smooth and easy to ride, no heavy flywheel necessary. I find this bike a lot less tiring than my previous heavily woods modded 2007 CRF250R. I too find the the WR to be very similar to an older two stroke KX, without the massive mid range hit. Definately a tall bike for tall dudes!!
  8. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    You're right, it's not for everyone. I had to drop back 50cc myself. I know Scott and he's a big boy on a big bike now. I think he can handle the 300.

What are you riding now?
  9. braddenning Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 HUSABERG FE 350 ,2014 KTM 300XC
    I switched to a Husaberg FE 390,,,,,but ill miss my WR
  10. PowerKord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR 250 Sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Sherco SE-R 250
    Les at LTR is the man when it comes to Husky suspension. He revalved my bike over the winter and it's the best suspension of any bike I've had. I think he charged me $150 for the shock revalve and $170 for the forks. Also, I needed different springs and he kept my old springs and gave me credit towards the new ones, awesome!
    ray_ray likes this.
  11. Scott Goodman Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna WR300
    I have wrenched on my own machines since I was 14, 4 stroke or 2 stroke maintenance is no issue! Man the more I hear about the 300, the more it sounds perfect for me! Gonna have to save some cash before shopping (or the wife will kill me!), but if anyone comes across a sweet used one, let me know :-) Thanks again for all the info, you guys have gave me loads of rider-specific detail that I needed!
    ray_ray likes this.
  12. Scott Goodman Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna WR300
    Gonna get to ride my first Husky 300 soon! They are having a ride day in my area this month, can't wait!!
  13. Oldmotocrosser Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    None.
    I raced a few bikes over the years, but notably one of the first ones I ever rode was an 1980 CR250R. If you want arm ripping power, this bike had it, but the front forks were not great, but it was very fun to ride; fifth gear wheelies were not uncommon on this bike. The other bike, which I had tons of fun was a 1982 RM125; this bike was simply one of the best handling bikes ever made, and the engine was dynamite. This bike could be ported, and modified for only a few dollars, and could hang with factory works bikes. Calvin Boetcher rode this bike and was amazed at the power a 125 could crank out. I did all of the Dirt Bike Magazine tricks and could pull hole shots with a 6 bike length lead, only to let guys pass me soon after due to my own lack of skill.

The Husky WR300 is a much smoother delivery of power compared to the toggle switch two strokers of old. Many bikes had arm ripping power until Maico came up with some smooth horsepower, and Honda started to deliver this type of smooth power. I would recommend the Husky as you can modify this bike very easily to fit your riding style, this bike also has a large flywheel than a motocrosser would, so it is a great single track bike for the Enduro rider.
  14. giantjoe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300
    That is if you TRY to control the power... insert embarrassing video of oldmxer here...
  15. giantjoe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300
  16. windsurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sure I just saw braddenning on his Husaberg somewhere in there! Only kidding, I am sure you made a good choice swapping brands.
    johnnyboy likes this.
  17. 080 Guest

My opinion is its a great offroad bike. I'm use to modified Mx'rs so from a power standpoint its not as zippy as a stock track bike but has a bit more down low for climbing. The power comes on smooth from down low and feels like an Mx'r from about mid throttle on up. Suspension will blow right through the stroke on hard g-outs etc but short of that handles everything else just fine. Found straightline stability to be one of the best I've been on (2strk) wise and turning to be about average.
  18. Oldmotocrosser Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    None.
    Yes, but easy to adapt to a motocrosser if you up your springs and valving. Motocross Action Magazine has done a spiffy upgrade if you want to see the differences.

New Husky bikes rumoured to have Direct Injection on 2 strokers. It should be interesting to see how the power delivery is.
  19. Scott Goodman Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna WR300
    Well I've got the good ol' 450 for sale, and as soon as I sell it I'm pretty sure I will be good-to-go on a new 300 purchase:D Have a local dealer that is gonna help me out, and hopefully will be ready to race again when I get some time on it. Gonna ride it in stock form for a while, but can see a FMF Gnarly pipe/ silencer, rekluse and extended shifter in the near future for it! Thanks a lot guys for all the info and opinions, will post first ride impression and pics when I can make it happen!
  20. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250