Kellys ongoing goofy thread...

Discussion in 'Motosportz' started by Motosportz, Mar 5, 2013.

1. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ah-ha! Tire studs. That's the key. You can hit any log at virtually any angle if your studded up.
  2. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    I'd still manage to fall down...:)
    Mike-AK and wait4me like this.
  3. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
  4. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Maybe on the studs... Not sure how these riders can make the bike perform in a way that I just can't get success with ... I don't wanna go as fast as this guy but adding a move like this to my skill set will do alot for my finishing place in lots of races.

--
    Is he not applying alot of weight on the left peg to help the tire grab and go up and over that log? I've been wanting to try this weighting technique when jumping over small obstacles (in a curve or at a angle as this guy) AND maybe over small jumps when hitting them at a angle and NOT the easy and safe, straight-on method that I use now.
  5. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Suzuki SV1000/73 Honda CB350
    I can tell you from my own experience what it looks like hes doing is pivoting off his foot kind of like a footplant on a bmx when youre on a ramp or the coping of a ramp or possibly a curb etc. Maybe more easy to show someone than describe..
  6. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    I though about that foot-plant also but I don't see his right foot anywhere ...Still that would not explain how he is gonna keep the rear wheel tracking over that log.

--
    It looks more to me that he hit the log, at an angle, with enough speed or clutch or small seat bounce to pop the front wheel over and now is waiting for the back tire to track over AND not slide out to his left. I've tried that move and I get rear tire slide-out almost always. I'd like to rid myself of such weird behavior.

Its a great action photo caught at the right moment...
  7. Boogie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Red head
  8. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    "You use the boks poweh"
    Muddy Waters and Boogie like this.
  9. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Im no rider like those guys but Ive done a few footplants in my day haha. I think if youre in the situation where youre bike is going to hit the log at and angle, you have to chop the throttle as soon as you expect the rear wheel to hit and go over the log. The wheel slows down and has a little better grip than if you were still on the gas. Same concept as a nasty highside on the blacktop. Wheel spin, back end comes around, rider chops the throttle and suddenly the tire grip again and then BOOM..rider become flipper. Eeee eeee eee eee haha
    ray_ray likes this.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    His right foot is planted ont on the top of the log. He did rotate the bike right overt he log 180 style. Super smooth. He can do the same thing no studs. Very good technical rider and can do Gram Garvis like moves. Lots of this is approach, controlling power and clutch. Jake is pretty good at this stuff to.

Rory is part of an new instructional entertainment video. Here is a trailer for it. Might be worth getting to learn some of these techniques.

11. Rory Sullivan Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Hey everyone Rory Sullivan here, I was reading this thread after talking with Kelly @ Motospotrz and thought maybe I could help explain a little about what I'm doing on the log. First off this type of move has several benefits, one being that your able to change direction quickly and another one is your skid plate does not get caught up on the log. To do this I approach the log almost parallel to it, and put my foot on it. Once my footing is solid and feel like it wont slide I lean back a bit and pop the clutch. I use my outer leg and upper body along with the power on the engine to move the bike around. The log was slick and I did have studs (which helped ) but I also like the tire to slide a little as it helps the bike rotate.
    bax3, jmetteer, trailboss and 6 others like this.
  12. Rory Sullivan Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    [IMG]

This is another example of this kind of move.
    ray_ray, jmetteer, Motosportz and 4 others like this.
  13. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    Cool stuff Rory. You are also the star of Kelly's Hangover Scramble photo show...over here

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/20...-at-washougal-mx-125-style.39214/#post-376004

(and Im going to throw in a little thanks to Rory, he is a big supporter of our local races, handing out prizes for many of the OMRA/NORA and other events....and then he occasionally shows up and demonstrates how this riding thing is done... in person. As I said in the other thread, Rory is a class act. He is also the guy who beat Team Husqvarna rider Cory Graffunder at the Funky Chicken in 2012...Rory just kept on pushing and got by Cory on the last lap after he tangled with a rider he was lapping.)
    ray_ray likes this.
  14. BadMotoWeazal Husqvarna
    Pro Class

juicypips and K5PL5 like this.
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I wish I could jump.
    panhandlebars and Xcuvator like this.
  16. ptkatoomer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2020 ktm 300 xc-w, 2020 ktm 500exc
    Figure I could do the jump; it's the landing part I'd have trouble with........:D
  17. BadMotoWeazal Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I can't jump either.... but I'm pretty good when the tires are on the ground. [IMG]
  18. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    awesome i feel inspired to do stuff like that untill i get there an i think.... maybe not cant afford the hospital trip
  19. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    XLEnduroMan, ray_ray, AndrewS and 3 others like this.
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Did a bunch of upgrades, Zipty suspension and lowered some, Midwest Mountain Engineering clutch lever (huge difference), some setup stuff. Bike continues to amaze me. Not Goofy just brilliant.

[IMG]
    fredd, ray_ray, fasteer and 2 others like this.