KTM/Husqvarna... now how will this play out?

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Farmer John, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
  2. Planepower Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TC 250/ 450 6spd, 2007 SMR 530
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducat 1198S, SV1000, CBR125, DRZ125
    How i read it, seems like Bajaj does have a controlling interest. Again I don't see why their KTM would compete technologically with the designs of the past Husqvarna. I'm afraid husky will end up like Husaberg; expensive and very similar to KTM, where KTM stays the premier brand. R&D will be shared and tested on the smaller production models and then moved onto KTM. I'll be staying tuned over the next while.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Man, this is the place for husky info!!! I just poked my head in TT after not going there for months and same absolute crap but now almost zero traffic. One guys saying he knows everything and how bad everything sucks etc. boring. Great info here people, thanks for keeping it real and being part of a conversation. I am completely 100% done with that other place of no info and lots of crap slinging. CH rules.
    JonXX, WoodsChick, Phoenix and 8 others like this.
  4. dcg141 Husqvarna
    AA Class

+1...thx for all the info guys. Some very solid intel.
    WoodsChick likes this.
  5. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    ".....BRRRRING...BRRRRING....HELLO- HUSQVARNA CUSTOMER RELATIONS, HOW MY I HELP YOU?..."

taj-mahal4.jpg

:eek:
    Mik-3 likes this.
  6. HuskyBrutha Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM630
    Other Motorcycles:
    690 R, 500 EXC, XR250
    http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/business/ktm-buys-husqvarna-huskys-may-roll-outchakan_816338.html

With reference to the above article, you can bet on two things in the medium to long term:

1) Yes, Bajaj WILL keep and market the Husqvarna name and brand, because per year it is worth another 10k -15K units ... units built 95% from the KTM parts bin.

2) The Husqvarna bikes will be nothing more than some form of re badged KTM's, a la Husaberg, because that is how they will utilise the synergies.

It is irrelevant wether Bajaj kill the Husqvarna brand or keep and grow it, because ultimately we will be left with KTM kit under one name or another be it Husaberg, KTM of Husqvarna.
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I think there is a lot more to the story, will be interesting to see where this goes.
    JonXX likes this.
  8. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Think european again! Let's try to pull rug out on japanese market share.
  9. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    And it will be "In House" service now.
  10. JasonMF Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 CR 165
    Other Motorcycles:
    03' Ducati MTS 1000, 12' Ducati 848
  11. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    didnt realize the KTM 125cc and 200cc were being manufactured in India. interesting. is that the motor only or what?
  12. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Huh?

Audi DEFINITELY plays in a different market space than VW. You can debate "build quality" all you want, but the fact of the matter is that Audi plays in a higher market space than VW. Is there some overlap? Absolutely. Does this mean VW is crap or Audi is perfect? Absolutely not.

I'm not offended IF they go this router with Husky (low-cost option). Half the damn reason a lot of us own Huskies is because we didn't want to spend $10k on a KTM; let's not act all offended all of a sudden by the fact that Huskies are cheaper.

I don't really care if KTM owns Husky. I don't even care if they share some resources. However, I WILL be very sad if Husky becomes another rebadged KTM (like Berg), not because I have any problem with KTM (seems like a lot of folks here are very anti-KTM, which I am not), but simply because I like having multiple players in the market. It gives riders options, it gives racers more competition, and it keeps manufacturers honest.

If Husky retains some independence, this could be really good. KTM certainly has a FAR better understanding of how to run an off-road racing team than BMW does.
    allphazes, boisedave, 454x and 2 others like this.
  13. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    move it all to india. im serious.

they have the IT, manf infrastructure, excellent, smart, focused hard as hell working labor force that dont take 16 weeks vacation a year and do it all for pennnies on the dollar. i guarantee the quality will go WAY up if it's built to spec.
    im serious. if they took the tooling and plants and moved it all to india in two years BMW would be WTF?? how do we do that?

india blows the sht outa the EU and china by a LARGE margin. they are the new world player and buddy leme tell ya, hells a poppin over there and you'd do wise to invest in them.

i say go for it. i hope what i read was true and india takes it all over, sooner the better. i also read nowhere in any of this the brand would homogonise with ktm. bajaj was pretty clear about the brand seperation.

only negative is BMW financing will proly be bye-bye. they were easy to deal with.
    454x and HuskyDude like this.
  14. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Think you'll see husky and ktm dominate the off road segment globally.

Might have two rigs competing and sharing resources, but that's ok. Its all in raising the bar.

Two heads are better than one,unless your siamese twins and want to go opposite way.
  15. haulin husky7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13 txc310, 2000 wr360
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 TM 300en, 93 KLX650R, 1975 XR75
    sorry guys and gals just had to.:D IMG_7874.jpg IMG_8563.jpg
    Mik-3, cbutcher96 and boisedave like this.
  16. haulin husky7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13 txc310, 2000 wr360
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 TM 300en, 93 KLX650R, 1975 XR75
    IMG_7176.jpg
    sorry one last time...:lol:
    cbutcher96 likes this.
  17. Phil Lamb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE310
    These various "news reports" reflect the lack of business/financial coverage of this industry. Many questions: What is the status of KTM facilities; newer updated factories, where is their infrastructure capital being spent? Same for Husky. I have the sense from somewhere that their Italian plant is very modern. What has been Bajaj's recent trend re moving production of major recent car acquisitions to India? Where are their motorcycle production facilities? How much of KTM is already in India? What is the board makeup of Cross and KTM? Nationality of senior management and staff? Any recent senior personnel moves involving Bajaj, Cross, KTM, Husaberg, Husqvarna?
    I agree, much more to follow. In the meantime, glad that I am not a struggling dealer trying to allocate scarce inventory capital/credit vis a vis Husky, KTM, Husaberg; particularly if required tooling for service requirements is likely to change. I know that the required tooling for Strada/Terra has put off some Husky dealers.
    boisedave and oregonsage like this.
  18. utopia Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250, WXC125
    I think these are 4 stroke street models being sold in India and Asian markets.
  19. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Suzuki SV1000/73 Honda CB350
    When I call Husky for customer service I hope I dont get that same guy I got when my internet went down.
    4eyes, WoodsChick, john01 and 2 others like this.
  20. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com
    Taken from MXA website.

A deal has been confirmed that BMW has sold Husqvarna to Peirer Industrie AG. Most people are confused as to what they may mean because of all the parties involved. Here are a few names; BMW (which owns Husqvarna), Husqvarna (which is already on its fourth owner), KTM (which is mostly owned by Stefan Peirer's Cross Industries AG)), Bajaj (the Indian motorcycle manufacturer that owns a stake in KTM through Cross Industries) and Stefan Peirer (who runs both Cross Industries AG and Peirer Industrie AG).Cross Industries AG owns shares of KTM, Pankl Racing Systems, Wethje Carbon Composites, Peguform plastics, Durmont carpet, WP suspension/radiators and Kiska design). But Cross Industries didn't buy Husqvarna, Stefan Peirer did.

[IMG]
    Stefan Peirer.
    Why Stefan Peirer would want Husqvarna is not quite clear, but why BMW would want to sell them is clearer. BMW’s return on investment, since finalizing the deal to buy Husqvarna in 2008, has not been very profitable (with plant updates and new models eating into income). Plus, BMW was ill-suited to the dirt bike market in the first place and seemed to be trying to turn Husqvarna into a street bike company with the Nuda 900, Terra 650, Baja Concept and Strada 650. What Husqvarna does have is a proud heritage in dirt bikes, dating back to 1960, and a wide product line of offroad machines (most of which compete in the same market segments as KTM’s offroad lineup). The deal will take about one month to be finalized. The new owners will be responsible for service and warranties on all Husky product. And, when the deal is final, BMW will no longer supply any BMW parts or engines to Husqvarna. Additionally, all BMW employees at the Italian Husqvarna plant will stay on BMW's payroll and return to Germany.

Also unknown is what Peirer plans to do with Husqvarna. Can he repeat the success of KTM with Husqvarna? Does he plan to sell Husqvarna to someone else? What role will Bajaj play in all of this? Will he leave KTM to take up the controls of the Italian firm? Will KTM absorb Husqvarna they way they did with Husky spin-off Husaberg?

The success of KTM is amazing since Peirer took command. KTM sold 107,142 motorcycles in 2012. They grew 32 percent worldwide and increased their market share by 7.5 percent. KTM also worked closely with part owner, India’s Bajaj, who hold a 47.18 percent stake, to make headway in the massive Indian motorcycle market. KTM sold 8000 Duke 200 models and have a Duke 390 (coming out in March 2013) and Duke 125 versions also. Stay tuned, because this deal will either happen very soon or evaporate
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.