KTM/Husqvarna... now how will this play out?

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Farmer John, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TXC310Rx2,
    Other Motorcycles:
    G450X, HP2E, 10 R12ADV, GasGas280
    The more this plays out the more it looks like the whole Pierer Ind acquiring Husqvarna is nothing more then to satisfy Anti-trust laws in EU because you have KTM actively trying to coordinate take over of distribution and some dude from India saying "we this" and "we that" in reference to KTM/HSQ union. They'd be really crazy to kill off the XLite platform, it's about 98% perfect for 2013 and just needs a few set-up tweaks to make it 100%,....I also am personally biased I I feel it's a better package then KTM 250/290 or even 350.

MNB,....BMW does still have a 2013 G650GS and Sertao model which uses the same 652cc engine as the Terra/Strada, along with the same grips, wheels, ABS option, etc.
  2. dunc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Maybe KTM was not getting far ahead with the two stroke direct injection, and Husky was??
  3. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    I don't think you could be CEO of two companies in the same industry or it's a bit unethical (isn't that what anti-trust laws are all about?)...that like having Bill Gates being CEO of both Microsoft and Apple. He can be on the boards of other companies in the same industry as this can be seen as strategic alliances but this is dependent on that company's board as it is a conflict of interest.

And this is the unanswered question...is SP going to control Husqvarna as his own company or as part of Cross AG/Bajaj board, again, anti trust laws will have something to say here.
  4. Kevin_TE250 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Highly doubtful BMW cared nothing for this....
  5. rajobigguy Administrator

I kind of doubt that. Despite all the rumors about both comapanies working so deligently on DI for the last couple of years the reality of it is that if they wanted to bring it to market they would just do it. The technology to make it happen has been around for some time now and all that it needs is the will to do it and a market that wants it bad enough. I would think that reason we dont see more DI 2Ts is simply the cost factor vs. the sales factor (bottom line profit).
  6. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Over at Husaberg.org, they didn't even feel the tremor in the force.......
  7. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    They want it to be able to pass California clean air standards, so they can get street taggable and green sticker legal models. That would be enough to produce the kind of sales numbers they are looking for for a 50 states two stroke model.
    oregonsage, 454x, WoodsChick and 2 others like this.
  8. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    You're right. I keep trying to forget those models... heh Ok, they're gone, too....

But the 449/511 isn't used. I doubt KTM will keep it, though.
  9. Captnemo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE300 ('15), TX300 ('19), TX300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    ATK406 ('94 XC),
    I will have to respectfully disagree with you analyses - I've own both KTMs and Huskys (a lot of them) and can compare with experience. There is absolutely no reason to up-grade any part of a Husky from the engineering and design of a KTM (Only exceptions would be maybe electric start on the 2t units and 6-speed tranny for the WRs) Which is no "biggy" and can be delt with.
    I'll put my WR300 up against any 300 2t unit from KTM! The engine on the WR is a dated design - but it works so well and is bullet-proof. The suspension is damn-near perfect - "Out-of-Box" .
    Hell, I can even get to my spark plug without taking off the tank.

Huskys problem was not design - it was sales/marketing and distribution.
    Note - If you want something pretty (?) and want to spend a 1000.00 or more - buy a KTM.

P.s. - I personally think the WRs are pretty-er!
    kx3089, Xcuvator and street2dirt like this.
  10. chuckc4 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Joe is absolutely right. The US market is probably a very small piece of this whole puzzle.
    KLOC and ray_ray like this.
  11. rajobigguy Administrator

I dont think Ca. would certify a 2T engine even if it produced cleaner air out the exhaust then it took in through the intake and I'm not saying that to be funny, I've dealt pretty extensively with C.A.R.B. CALEPA and several other of the alphabet organizations and I can tellyou that for them it's all about being right in their infinite wisdom about what Ca. needs. Well that and the money.
    Xcuvator likes this.
  12. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    I have trouble believing "completely different characteristics" from the same engineering platform.
  13. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    They are pirates or princes, but not looking out for anyone's interests but their own. Vampires might be a better term
    rajobigguy and ray_ray like this.
  14. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Completely different maybe not, but my '12 Husaberg TE250 is definitely different from its '12 KTM 250 2 stroke siblings.....
  15. water racer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

http://www.knoxenduro.com Knoxville, Tennessee
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Beta 250RR
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Husqvarna WR125 1997 Fantic
    I am hoping at least we are able to keep Husky frames, suspension, and styling, that does make them different. KTM engines would not be so bad, they do run off the dealer floor. Husqvarnas handle, but usually have to tune the engine. KTM's run great, but we are still looking for the magician that makes the suspension work.
    I think I will be hanging on to my 250 X- Light for awhile, maybe I need to get a spare.
  16. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Way!:banana:
    7point62 and WoodsChick like this.
  17. Bobby Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TXC310Rx2,
    Other Motorcycles:
    G450X, HP2E, 10 R12ADV, GasGas280
    Gary, The RedHead Keihin EFI'ed XLights are ready to run hard out of the box,....however little fit'n'finish things like water pump hose needs to be dealt with or it will chaffe a hole in about 10 hours can be a minor show stopper. Otherwise the BMW engine development gurus did help the Husky folks get it to be all it can be,.....unless you feel like installing the high compression piston and GET control module for all out race bred performance but less piston life I'm assuming.
    water racer likes this.
  18. water racer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

http://www.knoxenduro.com Knoxville, Tennessee
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Beta 250RR
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Husqvarna WR125 1997 Fantic
    Yeah, there has been a lot of BMW bashing on this thread, but it has helped to remind me that I switched from KTM to Husqvarna when BMW bought them because I felt they would take them too the top. And they have done a lot of good, just takes time.
  19. street2dirt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 TXC310, WR300, 85 125WR, 82 175XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G650X
    Wow, just caught up reading the incredible number of posts since last nite Great info as always, still read it as SP wants to do with Husky what he did with KTM when he rescued them from near death many years ago, not fold Husky into the pumpkin. Guess we will all see soon, & IMO, I've had 2 KTMs. they were both good bikes, but I know my Huskys are better bikes for me. So I do hope they keep em the way they are, just refine them. The bikes are good, need better marketing & promotion........
    Captnemo likes this.
  20. wildrider49 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2020 SWM Superdual, 2013 Husky TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2006 Buell XB9R, 2006 BMW K1200S
    So if Peirer want's to impress me, his first order of business should be to send George at Uptite a "welcome aboard" package ;) Just sayin!
    KLOC, Motosportz, allphazes and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.