KTM/Husqvarna... now how will this play out?

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Farmer John, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 310huskyTE Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE 350, 2011 Meo.
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 CR250, 71 400 Cross, 78 CR250
    Can someone who is a lot more computer savy than myself, please find pierer's email address and send him a link to this thread so he can see what hard core loyalist Husqvarna fans want, because without us he has nothing, if he can't satisfy his now base clientele for Husqvarna motorcycles how is he going to attract new buyers to the Husqvarna brand, word of mouth of changes and improvements to Husqvarna is worth it's weight in gold to a new owner, and we will do a lot of the advertising for him free of charge if he listens to us.
  2. Lime Husqvarna
    A Class

When I chose to drive Husqvarna was because I love Italian design and I know it is easy to get parts to the bikes. Their motorcycles works at least as well as the competitor.

I would have driven a Italian car too, but because I want a car I can trust and I don’t want to spend to much money on it so I bought a old Volvo. Not realy Italian design :rolleyes:

What the future hold, it don´t know but I hope it will be bright. But i am going to stay faithful to Husqvarna as long as they don´t become a rebadged KTM. Then I am just going to buy the orinal orange bike.
  3. SHY UK Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    yes please
    If you don't know what i'm talking about perhaps you shouldn't try quoting me...
    ... You're arguing my point ;P

To paraquote George Orwell - All people are pigs, however, some people are more pigs than others.
  4. edmoto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 CR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLX400SR, XR250R, VOR503, GG XC300e
    I haven't seen anything to help this simple Americuhn how to pronounce our new lord and master's name: Stefan Peirer
    I can say the Stefan part. But the Peirer part? Are the "R's" silent? Is the "EI" merged to an "aay" or "eaa"? Or is it simply "Pair-er"? Or even more simply, Herr Obersturmgruppenfuhrer?
  5. Grandia Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '07 TE610
    Boss will do
    john01 and ray_ray like this.
  6. Doug Piper Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250 SM250
    Having just purchased a TE449 it would be very stupid to just drop the line as this bike has so much going for it in the technical development dept,
    The CTS is worth its weight in gold and the patents would come with the buy out purchase, win win.
  7. Doug Piper Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250 SM250
    More:

(Reuters) - The owner of offroad motorbike maker KTM (KTMP.VI) acquired rival brand Husqvarna fromGermany's BMW (BMWG.DE) on Thursday in a consolidation move that helps shave costs as the industry copes with a slump in Europe.
    Entrepreneur Stefan Pierer, who owns a majority stake in KTM, told Reuters he was taking a page out of Volkswagen's (VOWG_p.DE) book by buying the Italian-based company, whose one-cylinder enduros and motocross bikes are dubbed "Huskies" by their fans.
    "Almost ten years ago we started a small platform strategy just like what Volkswagen does on a far larger level," he said in a telephone interview after the deal, declining to provide financial details.

"Even though this is a niche business, you have the same problem as in the car industry. Development costs for modern, sporty motorcycles are so high - especially for engines - that a small brand (like Husqvarna) can no longer shoulder them on its own."
    Pierer's KTM also owns the Husaberg, a Swedish brand founded by two engineers in 1988 after Husqvarna motorcycle moved its operations toItaly from its Scandinavian home.
    "I want to see Husqvarna sales double in five years time to 20,000 motorbikes," he said, adding that his immediate focus would be on rejuvenating the ageing line-up of offroad models.
    Instead of fully integrating both companies, Husqvarna and KTM will be managed separately, while reaping the benefits of using common components.
    "This way we can use common engineering platforms to develop a variety of models that have completely different characteristics for each brand," Pierer said.
    Husqvarna generated roughly 65 million euros selling roughly 10,000 bikes, he said, while KTM sold 107,000 motorcycles with revenue of 612 million euros.
    In a rare acquisition, BMW scooped up Husqvarna at the peak of the market in 2007 to improve its position in the field of light, sporty motorbikes and extend the range to include younger customer groups as well as the entire off-road and supermoto sector.
    The market in Europe, however, has shrunk almost by half since the deal, and BMW never attained sustained growth of the business in the face of such harsh headwinds.
    BMW said it was selling the brand as part of a strategic realignment of its motorcycle business to focus on urban and electric mobility "in the context of changing motorcycle markets, demographic trends and increasing environmental demands."
    KTM by comparison has a strong position in the segment in which Husqvarna competes, with roughly 30 percent of the global market share in motocross and 50 percent in enduro, according to Pierer.
    When asked whether he was concerned the two brands might cannibalise each other's sales, he admitted there would be a slight effect.
    Overall, however, the Husqvarna brand would help it take share away from Honda (7267.T), Yamaha (7272.T), Kawasaki (7012.T) and Suzuki (7269.T).
    "It's never 1 plus 1 equals 3, but it's certainly 2.7, and there are still four Japanese brands from which there's plenty to grab."
    (Reporting By Christiaan Hetzner; editing by Andrew Hay)
  8. TRIPLE-M Husqvarna
    AA Class

If you read the interviews from both Bajaj and Stefan Pierer.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/31/us-bmw-husqvarna-idUSBRE90U18E20130131
    http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/business/ktm-buys-husqvarna-huskys-may-roll-outchakan_816338.html
    Both said the same thing about high product development cost and the need to share components across different brands, a la Husaberg if you will. So it's not hard to figure out what future new Husky models will be like. I'm not sure they even need till end 2013 to release a "new model", they already have it.
  9. edmoto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 CR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLX400SR, XR250R, VOR503, GG XC300e
    Oops, apologies to my European friend. Merely trying to bring a little levity to a 500+ post, 27 page thread. Pronunciation learned: Boss it is.
  10. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Husaberg has it own tank and shrouds, shock and CC forks have unique Husaberg valving, engine is a blend of XC and XC-W with a dual map switch. As I said before... totally different no, but not the same as a KTM 250XC or 250XC-W (EXC) with blue plastic. They feel different to ride and to me the Husaberg is better. I think you can use a mix of common and unique parts to make a bike with different characteristics.
  11. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Why don't you explain what you're trying to say, instead of being pedantic?
  12. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    I agree, nothing wrong with sticking the 200 ktm engine (reworked)in the x lite frame with electric start and oversize tank.

Why, cause we don't have one.

Glad I have my 310R for next couple years till the dust settles and I have more to choose from.

1st choice is Husky

2nd would be Ktm or Husaberg.

3rd would be Gas Gas (But what concerns me is the economy might take them out).
    454x likes this.
  13. Bobby Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TXC310Rx2,
    Other Motorcycles:
    G450X, HP2E, 10 R12ADV, GasGas280
    I wouldn't rule that possiblity out as I get a feeling KTM is beating feet on taking over distribution channels and getting the ball rolling, they are acting like the anti-trust board has already approved and is merely a formality,....it's theirs to take behind the scenes as of a couple of days ago. It will be interesting to see how they brand and segregate the HSQ from KTM in the coming months.
  14. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    I find all this talk of Husqvarna heritage and saving the brand amusing. There is no Husqvarna, KTM/Baja/Pierer didnt buy Husqvarna, they bought Cagiva and as such, I could not care less what happens to it. Husqvarna ceased to exist when the last bike rolled out of the Swedish factory.
    CelticDude likes this.
  15. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Remember, this deal wasn't drummed up over night. Bet is has been in the works for quite possibly a year.

That's when the business model was started.
    ray_ray likes this.
  16. Bobby Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TXC310Rx2,
    Other Motorcycles:
    G450X, HP2E, 10 R12ADV, GasGas280
    Sure you can, but that won't change the propensity to leak oil out of the counter shaft or shifter shaft seals or boil the radiator over as soon as the going gets tight :banana:

Hope they build an updated TE570 type bike with WP Trax suspension and a 4-5 gal capacity,...that I'd be excited about! a poor man's Dakar/high adventure dual sport if you will.
  17. Blazes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Eddie Seel 634SMR works Replica -
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilla Dosodoro 2X 2009 610
    Now that would be --ORGASMIC --:)
  18. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I've been waiting for this from the Vintage Forum. I still own and ride my Swedish Huskys, so I get a response.... That's pure BS. Cagiva improved the breed and won more than 2/3rds of Husky's World Championships. When Husky had it's 100th Anniversary of Motorcycle Production... Husqvarna AB and Cagiva celebrated together in Sweden. You want to hold a grudge... Tell the wife to throw out all her Electrolux appliances, as they decided that Motorcycles didn't fit their product line.
  19. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

I will only be pissed if KTM start putting their unreliable engine parts in new Huskys. Husky has the capacity to run rings around KTM but it just hasnt had the marketing budget thrown at it across the board from MX to Enduro. Huskys 449 leaves the KTM 450 in its wake in rider comparisons on the rally scene. I know this first hand after discussing it with riders from last weeks Dakar. Lets see what happens next for the 2014 range of huskys ;)
    4eyes and Ruffus like this.
  20. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'd love a new single cam/left kick TE400/570 Merriman and Eriksson Replicas), but if you're going to make it an adventure bike..... I'd be more worried about oil capacity, than fuel capacity!
    4eyes and flyingbob like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.