KTM/Husqvarna... now how will this play out?

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Farmer John, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Japan Var Tillbaka! :thumbsup:

Or is it Japan sind wir zuruk!
  2. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    I'm glad I bought a Harley.
  3. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Here is my current theory:
    Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki: Seem to be in the $7k-$8.5k as per their US websites
    KTM, and presumably Husaberg & Beta: Seem to be in the $8.5-$10k range

Husqvarna seems like a good fit if they want lower price set of bikes to sell, which would obviously impact future designs.

Currently Husqvarna msrp is between $7k-$9k, or $8.4k-$9k if you do not include the TR650's
  4. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Both of those statements are diametrically opposed, unless Kymco can supply the Husqvarna speced engines & parts.
  5. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    That is not a quote from BMW. That's website speculation. "Husqvarna'll just stay in service?"

Either way, BMW will no longer supply parts. That is obvious. Pierer Industries will. And BMW will have supplied them with the parts as part of the deal because it's legally required.

Don't panic over this stuff. Don't expect a flood of parts available 10 years from now for some models, but in the reasonable term, parts will be available.

But then, it's not like my TE310 has needed anythign beyond an oil filter so far... :banana:

I'm... cautiously optimistic about the changes. It has the potential to be great. At least it's not an obvious bummer, so I'll take that and be happy with it for now.
  6. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    He may be speculating that the engines will not be put in new models....
  7. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    Notice that Pierer doesn't mention Honda? Just Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki? Interesting.

So it sounds like he's not resigning... Bummer. I thought that seemed too good to be true. He seems to see value for the brand, so it doesn't appear they're going to rape them for the good parts and junk the rest, mothballing the brandname. I remain cautiously optimistic...
  8. Farmer John Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    92 WR250, 01 KTM 400MXC
    What I find interesting is how fast Pierer expects to have new models out.
  9. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    I guess we span the KTM range to see what fits...however a new 450 was already known to be on the way from Husky, so that may be what he is speaking of.
  10. Lime Husqvarna
    A Class

Stefan Pierer is talking about taking back Husqvarna to the race scene in MX and supermoto, places where KTM already rules. And he is talking about Husqvarna as a niche marke. Husaberg was a niche marke, Husqvarna is not.

Can anyone explain what he is talking about?

I think 2013 is going to be the last year for Husaberg and Husqvarna will be KTM:s test platform for the future. I don’t believe that they will be just rebadged KTM:s but they will share much DNA. Howe much? Time will tell. And remember where you read it first! ;)

Personally I am going to keep my WR 125 for 2 more seasons, then it will have about 150-200 hours on the clock and I know I am going to feel it is time for a upgrade. If Husqvarna exist as a separate mark and not rebadged KTM:s, then I am going to stay loyal to Husqvarna. If they just are rebadged KTM:s I am going to buy the a standard KTM bike. I really REALLY hate “badge engineering”!
  11. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I did some poking around, and parts will be available for the 650s and other bikes that were 'BMWd'. I would assume the MOSS and warranty issues would fall into the same category.
  12. SHY UK Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    yes please
    So, where is the diesel Bentley?!
  13. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Nope, they're not. BMW will not provide their R&D/technology/engines for use in future motorcycles from Husqvarna; and why should they?

However, whether or not parts for those engines already existing will be available is a completely different story. Whoever is currently making the engine parts for BMW is, presumably, going to continue to make those parts for Husqvarna.

I wonder how many more of the BMW/Kymco/Rotax/whatever engines will be put into Huskies. Obviously there are engines in various stages of manufacturing and assembly in various places in the world, engines that have already been ordered. I assume that these orders will be fulfilled, and perhaps then some. Again, it's not like the assembly line that cranks out 449s and 511s is going to go dark at midnight tonight, with a fully assembled bike sitting inside the door, and shelves full of enough parts to build 100 more. That factory will keep running, and probably is now owned by Pierer, along with all of the parts therein.
  14. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Understood, but as a new 650 owner you may understand that my primary concern would be parts availability.

Personally, it would seem to make sense to build the 650's at least 1 more year, because it is selling so well.
  15. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Dude, what the heck is your point? Are you trying to say that Audi doesn't play in a higher "market space" than VW, because they are owned by VW?

Audi DEFINITELY plays in a higher market space than VW. Period. Same with Lexus and Toyota. Yes, the "lesser" brands in both cases have some "higher end" vehicles; that doesn't make the statement, as a whole, untrue. In general, on average, Audi competes in a higher market than VW. PERIOD! This is a fact!

Tata (India) owns Land Rover; are you going to argue that because of this, Land Rover isn't a premium product, compared to the world's cheapest car?

Why don't you try summarizing what you are trying to say, instead of just posting nebulous little quips.
  16. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    01&02WR360_02WR250_02CR250_12WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 VOR400_07 TM450_22 GG250_07 Tuono
    How about taking it outside?
  17. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Correct. Not sure it means anything else, it makes no sense to simply stop assembling them in mid-stream and send the workers home.

I cannot think of any reason those supply contracts could not continue for a while.
  18. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sure would be nice to watch a Husqvarna out front on TV!

Stefan Pierer: "We think that with Husqvarna we can be active in another niche and take more of the market especially from the Japanese brands. We will with this brand's products focus primarily on brands such as Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki. We would like the niche brand to go to a sale of 10,000 units per year and then go on from there. For that Husqvarna must go back to his roots, it was much too far astray. The brand has a wonderful history but because of a wrong model policy it was completely on the wrong track. it was in terms of dealer network not ready to sell two cylinders for the street. We will work with Husqvarna go back to its origins. We will therefore soon be back in motocross and then in supermoto, both sports which Husqvarna previously been dominant. Within the next year we will develop an appropriate motorcycle with the specifications and character that belongs to a Husqvarna. "

Hell YES!
    chunk, WoodsChick, ray_ray and 2 others like this.
  19. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ajaxauto, I think you got your wish.
  20. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    I have already posted (last night Sydney time ) and have thought about the following:
    In the last few years KTM have served up a lot of revised models and new ones including the free rider and the 350.
    On paper they are well designed and should be brilliant bikes. However the execution of these bikes especially since they dropped that wonderful long stroke 450 motor in 2006/07 for a revised SXC racing motor, the deliver has been pretty appauling.
    They suffer from a multitude of problems around crank seals, front sprocket seals, still have the head shake, the 2T's have massive issues with their starter motors (sprag) spinning but not engaging.
    I recently rode the new 500, apart from the ergs not suiting me it was an incredibly rough and vibey experience. It was very powerful but not an enjoyable ride. On ST I would have the bejesus belted out of me inside an hour.
    I understand their issues stem from costs associated around the Duke, the add on costs required staff redeployment which caused a severe drop in reliabilty/ Quality. The Duke and its budget blow out saw equity arrive from India. I think this is the route of their issues.
    As previously stated I love the concept of their 690 (always was better than our 630 but way more expensive) the 950 SE and the 2 and soon to be 3 adventures being the 950, 990 and the 1200. That said the fuelling on the FI 990 is pretty poor at low speed and has not been properly fixed since they arrived back in 06, just slightly improved each model but still below par. The cost and frequency of service is too regular, workshop hours are expensive and taking off the cowlings on these beasts adds a lot of billable time.
    To be frank their SXC models are better than the TC's, however this superiority has not transalted to the EXC's. The later ones are just not as good as ours. Next time you get a chance ride an EXC, they feel loose and soft, the ergs encouage sitting rather than standing. Factor in the reliability issues one must ask what value add is the KTM acquisition for Husqvarna. I feel sorry for Husky, it has been a corporate pawn and yet has maintained a decent product. Take for example the 449 and 511, by rights it should be a dog, the BMW 450 was horrid, (I have ridden one on many occasion) it felt like the previos model Bergs in that it seemed butt high front end low and did not feel right, especially in the tight. Husky gets the motor and improves it, comes out with a brilliant fix for the rear swing arm/sprocket, The Ergs are vastly superior and what about the concept of the linkage on top-brilliant.
    I still laugh when I do work on my 09 and 10 TE 310's. The clutch case has MV Augusta stamped on it and behind the strater motor is stamped Ducati. So apart from being a parts bin bike they are none the less bullet proof in comparison. I have stated on may occasions in this forum that my 05 511, 06 450. 08 450 and my 2 310's have never had a mechanical. I keep these bikes for 4 to 5000 Kms and sell. In this time they are servied to schedule and a tad overservied re oil change and greasing up swing arms etc. I am just blown away at how bullet proof they are. Oh, by the way I have had one flat and one battery die in that time and never had a bearing replaced. What say you to that Mr KTM Muckergee
    XooM likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.